Chicken Taco Meal Prep Bowl is my go-to meal prep recipe for a delicious and filling meal that’s healthy and easy to make. Perfect for on-the-go.
Ground chicken taco meal prep bowl with quinoa is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a Mexican-inspired dish. This chicken meal prep is packed with protein, fiber, and essential nutrients. To make the bowl, the ground chicken is seasoned with taco seasoning and cooked until browned and then mixed with black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. The quinoa is cooked separately and used as a healthy carb side. The chicken and quinoa mixture is then divided into individual meal prep containers along with some chopped avocado. This chicken meal prep bowl is a perfect option for those who want to eat healthily and save time on meal preparation during the week.
Why you will love this chicken meal prep recipe
- Healthy option: Ground chicken is a lean protein that can be a healthier alternative to beef. Additionally, by making your own taco seasoning, you can control the amount of sodium and other additives in your meal.
- Versatile: You can customize your taco bowl with your favorite toppings and ingredients. Add some black beans, avocado, tomato, or corn to switch things up and add some variety to your meals.
- Convenient: By meal-prepping your taco bowls, you can save time and money during the week. You can easily pack them for lunch or have them ready for a quick dinner on busy nights.
ingredients needed to make this meal prep
- Olive oil: any other oil works. We love avocado oil
- Ground Chicken: look for the leanest ground chicken. Or another option is to use lean ground turkey instead of ground chicken.
- Garlic cloves: use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder
- Taco seasoning: you can make your own taco seasoning at home. If you need a taco seasoning recipe, check out our home taco seasoning recipe.
- Black beans: canned bean work just fine
- Canned or frozen corn: you may use canned or frozen corn. Whichever you have on hand.
- Cooked quinoa: you may cook the quinoa ahead
- Tomatoes: Use any fresh tomatoes
- Shredded cheese: any cheese of your choice
- Avocado: do not use super-ripe avocado
- Lime: or lemon works as well
- To garnish: fresh cilantro or green onions
How to make this chicken meal prep bowl
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and
cook until no longer pink, mincing the meat with a wooden spoon as it
Stir in the garlic and taco seasoning and continue to cook until it starts to
Add the beans and corn and stir to combine, then allow the taco mixture to
cool for a bit.
Divide the cooked quinoa among 4 meal prep bowls. Add the meat mixture, tomatoes, and cheese.
Top with cubed avocado and squeeze over fresh lime juice to prevent it from browning.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and green onions.
recipe notes, tips, and substitutions
- Use lean ground chicken or lean ground turkey
- Canned corn works if you do not have frozen corn. You may boil fresh corn on the cob and cut them off the cob.
- Instead of quinoa, you can use cauliflower rice to cut down on the carbs. For a delicious cauliflower rice recipe try my cilantro lime cauliflower rice recipe.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- If you do not like chicken or turkey, use lean ground beef.
frequently asked questions
Yes, you can meal-prep chicken for a week. It’s important to properly store the cooked chicken in airtight containers in the refrigerator to ensure it stays fresh throughout the week. You can also consider freezing some portions if you don’t plan on eating them within the first few days.
You can season quinoa with a variety of herbs and spices to add flavor. Keeping it simple salt and pepper will be a good choice. Some popular options include garlic, onion powder, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and dried oregano. You can also add fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or basil for a burst of freshness. Additionally, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice can add some brightness and acidity to the dish.
Both rice and quinoa can be healthy options depending on your dietary needs. Quinoa is a great source of protein, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. It’s also gluten-free and has a low glycemic index, which can be beneficial for those with certain health conditions. Rice can be a good source of carbohydrates and can be a good option for athletes or those looking to increase their carb intake.
More meal prep recipes
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Meal Prep Bowl
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep
- Honey Garlic Chicken Meal Prep
- Beef Burrito Meal Prep
- Honey Salmon and Asparagus Meal Prep
- Garlic Lime Shrimp Meal Prep
- Meal Prep Honey Sriracha Meatballs
recipes you may like
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Skewers
- Vegetarian Cobb Salad
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Fajita Baked Chicken Breast
- Avocado Chicken Salad Pinwheels
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Herbed Whipped Feta Cheese Dip
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Chicken Taco Meal Prep Bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 15 oz black beans one can, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn drained if canned
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups plum tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado cubed
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
- 4 green onions sliced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken or turkey and cook until no longer pink, mincing the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in the garlic and taco seasoning and continue to cook until it starts to brown.
- Add the beans and corn and stir to combine, then allow the taco mixture to cool for a bit.
- Divide the cooked quinoa among 4 meal prep bowls. Add the meat mixture, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Top with cubed avocado and squeeze over fresh lime juice to prevent it from browning.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and green onions.
- Either use ground chicken or turkey. Just make sure it is lean to cut down on the fat content.
- Any oil of choice works
- Canned corn and beans work
- Serve with either brown rice, white rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.