These tender and juicy BBQ chicken skewers are simple, tasty, and easy to make. Perfect for a family dinner or any gathering. Makes for a tasty healthy dinner recipe the entire family will love.
Grilled BBQ chicken kabobs served with rice and broccoli is a delicious and healthy meal option that anyone can enjoy. The chicken is marinated in a flavorful homemade BBQ sauce and then grilled to perfection on skewers. The rice serves as a great base for the dish, absorbing the flavors of the chicken and the sauce. The broccoli adds a fresh and crunchy texture to the meal, as well as valuable nutrients. Overall, this healthy grilled chicken dish is a great choice for those looking for a balanced meal that is both tasty and nutritious.
Why you will love this chicken
- Flavorful: Grilled BBQ chicken kabobs are incredibly flavorful due to the smoky char from the grill and the tangy BBQ sauce. The chicken absorbs the flavors of the marinade and sauce, resulting in a delicious and satisfying meal.
- Easy to Make: BBQ chicken skewers are easy to put together. Simply marinate the chicken, skewer it, and grill it. The dish can be easily customized with different spices and sauces, making it versatile and adaptable to different tastes.
- Healthy Option: Grilled BBQ chicken skewers are a healthy meal option. Chicken is a great source of protein, and grilling it helps to reduce the fat content. The addition of rice and broccoli provides a balanced meal with valuable nutrients.
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken tenders or boneless skinless breasts: you may also use boneless chicken thighs
- For the BBQ sauce: ketchup, honey, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and Kosher salt, to taste.
- Optional sides: 1 large broccoli head, cut into florets and steamed, and 3 cups of cooked rice of choice
How to make these grilled chicken skewers
In a medium bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. Take about 1/3 cup of the sauce to reserve for later on.
Chop the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
To the large bowl with the BBQ sauce, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat. Allow them to marinate for 30 minutes over the counter, or refrigerate overnight.
Thread the pieces of marinated chicken on bamboo skewers.
Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the chicken skewers until charred and cooked through, around 4-5 minutes per side.
Serve with cooked rice and steamed broccoli next to the remaining BBQ sauce to use as a dip.
Recipe notes and tips
- If you do not want to use chicken breast, you may use skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- Many sides to serve these grilled bbq chicken kabobs with. Try a low-carb side dish like cauliflower rice, or some roasted veggies like this garlic-roasted vegetable.
- You may marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 2 hours
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
frequently asked questions
Yes, it’s a good idea to oil skewers before grilling. This can help prevent the food from sticking to the skewers and make them easier to turn on the grill. You can use a neutral oil like vegetable or canola oil to lightly coat the skewers before adding the chicken. This will also help to ensure that the chicken cooks evenly on all sides.
Yes, marinating kabobs before grilling is a great idea. Marinating can help to tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. You can use a variety of marinades depending on your taste preferences, such as a simple mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs. Marinate the kabobs for at least a few hours (or even overnight) to allow the flavors to fully penetrate the meat. This will result in a more flavorful and juicy final product.
While it is possible to grill kabobs wrapped in foil, it is generally not recommended. The foil can create a steaming effect, which can prevent the meat from getting good sear and grill marks. Instead, it’s best to grill kabobs directly on the grates.
More chicken recipes to try
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken
- French Onion Chicken Skillet
- Taco Chicken Pinwheels
- Easy Cowboy Chicken Skillet
- Mary Me Chicken Skillet
- Greek Chicken Bowl
f you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Skewers
- 2 lb chicken tenders or boneless skinless breasts
- Optional: 1 large broccoli head cut into florets and steamed
- Optional: 3 cups of cooked rice of choice
For the BBQ SAUCE:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. Take about 1/3 cup of the sauce to reserve for later on.
- Chop the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- To the large bowl with the BBQ sauce, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat. Allow them to marinate for 30 minutes over the counter, or refrigerate overnight.
- Thread the pieces of marinated chicken on bamboo skewers.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the chicken skewers until charred and cooked through, around 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with cooked rice and steamed broccoli next to the remaining BBQ sauce to use as dip.
- Nutrition values do not include the rice and broccoli
- Use chicken breast or chicken thighs
- You may use your favorite low sugar bbq sauce instead of making it from scratch
- Serve with your favorite side dish instead of rice