Homemade taco seasoning is so simple and easy to make in just 3 minutes with 8 ingredients! It’s a healthier and cheaper option than store-bought. Use this DIY taco seasoning for your soups, taquitos, casseroles, tacos–you name it!
There is just something so delicious and comforting about taco seasoning. It’s perfect to sprinkle over all types of foods like veggies, marinara sauce, quesadillas, and enchiladas whenever you need an extra kick of flavor.
The ingredients for this DIY homemade taco seasoning are so easy to find in your local grocery store. All you need to do is grab your list of spices and put each bottle in your cart so you can create the tastiest Mexican spice blend you’ve ever had.
Why You Should Make This Homemade Taco Seasoning
This is the best taco seasoning you’ll ever have! It’s so simple to make, plus you’ll have homemade taco seasoning ready at your fingertips when it comes to taco or burrito nights.
- Quick and easy: The longest step in this DIY taco seasoning is measuring all of your spices. Once you’ve measured everything, all you have to do is stir and store! Ready to be added to your favorite dishes in no time.
- Delicious with flavor: The cozy spices including chili powder, warm cumin, zesty smoked paprika, garlic, and oregano come together to create the ultimate flavor profile. The tiny amount of chili flakes give this taco mix a bit of a spicy kick that creates the perfect balance.
- Versatile: Use this homemade taco seasoning for all your favorite foods that need extra flavor. You can use this DIY seasoning in your favorite soups, ground beef, or atop chicken breasts.
- Cost-effective: Buy your list of seasonings, and you’ll be set for a while. Just place your DIY taco mix in a jar and use it until you need to refill it again. Say goodbye to all those extra plastic containers.
Ingredients for DIY Taco Mix
Here is a list of herbs and spices you need for this homemade taco seasoning. Full of bold warm flavors and so delicious!
Chili powder: Chili powder is a blend of different chili peppers and spices. You can use it for a richer flavor, but if you don’t have it on hand, use the ground chili pepper of your choice.
Ground cumin: Ground cumin adds a lot of flavors and is part of the traditional taco seasoning but can be omitted if you don’t want it.
Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika gives it a bit of a smoky flavor, but if you don’t have smoked paprika, then you can use regular ground paprika.
Garlic powder: The robust flavors of garlic powder give the taco seasoning extra flavor. You can omit the garlic powder if you do not have it.
Dried oregano: Oregano gives the DIY taco blend an herbal twist. Can be omitted if you don’t have it on hand.
Black pepper: Substitute black pepper with white or red pepper or omit it altogether.
Sea salt: A little bit of salt rounds all the additional spices out and gives the blend an extra boost of flavor. Be careful not to use too much salt in your taco seasoning.
Chili flakes: Chili flakes are used for additional spice. If you aren’t a fan of spicy things or need to give this DIY taco mix to kids, then you can skip this ingredient.
How to Make This Easy Taco Seasoning
First, grab all of your spice jars and put them together in one spot so they are easy to get to. Grab your measuring spoons so you can measure each ingredient.
Next, once you’ve measured your spices and herbs, add them to a small jar, shallow bowl, or plate. You can also use any type of bowl for this.
Shake the container to combine all of the spices. Alternatively, you can mix the ingredients together with a spoon if you’re combining the ingredients on a plate.
Transfer the homemade taco seasoning blend to a closed jar or container. Store the DIY seasoning away from direct sunlight for up to six months.
Enjoy your favorite Mexican + taco dishes with this super easy DIY taco mix.
Notes and Tips
Be sure to keep this information in mind while making this easy, homemade taco seasoning!
- Any of the spices or herbs can be omitted or substituted with your choice of ingredients.
- Store in an air-tight jar or container away from direct sunlight. Use within 6 months. The sun will dry the taco seasoning out and affect the flavor profile.
- Easily double this taco seasoning recipe for your recipe needs or use as little of the mix as you would like.
- For mild taco seasoning, omit the chili flakes.
- This recipe contains more taco seasoning than your typical taco seasoning packet. Depending on what you’re making, you will need more or less of this blend.
Frequently Asked Questions
Just mix all of these spices and herbs together to create your very own homemade taco seasoning at home.
Roughly, each seasoning packet contains about one ounce of seasoning.
The two are very similar, but fajita seasoning typically contains more oregano and chili powder than your typical taco seasoning mix.
More Easy Mexican Recipes You’ll Love
- Mexican Shrimp Quesadilla Recipe
- Chipotle Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Quinoa Bowl
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, don’t forget to use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
- measuring spoons
- 1 jar or container with lid
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon ground smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Add all the ingredients to a small jar // or to a shallow bowl or a plate.
- Shake the jar to combine the spices // or mix to combine all the ingredients if using a bowl/plate and transfer to a closed jar/container.
- Store away from direct sunlight for up to 6 months.