This Healthy Broccoli Casserole is quite simple and so delicious. Made with fresh broccoli and mushrooms and no cream or cheese. Perfect side dish recipe for the holidays that’s low in carbs and can be put together in no time.
This easy broccoli casserole recipe is very tasty without all the added cream and cheese. It can be made vegan by using non-dairy milk. To make this casserole recipe gluten-free, use the GF panko breadcrumbs. With holiday dinner tables being packed jammed with all sorts of creamy casseroles, having a healthier option sounds so welcoming.
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking oil spray. Add the broccoli florets to a steaming basket and place it over a pot with boiling water.
Cover and steam until just tender, then transfer the broccoli to the prepared casserole. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, mushrooms and smoked paprika and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small pot over medium heat whisk milk, cornstarch, salt, and pepper, until starts to thicken, 2-3 minutes. Transfer the onion mushroom mix to the casserole, and pour over the milk sauce.
Clean the pan with a paper towel, and lightly spray with cooking oil spray. Stir the breadcrumbs over medium heat, until golden, then sprinkle over the casserole. Place the casserole into the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Make this Broccoli Casserole Keto-friendly
Easy substitutions to make this broccoli casserole keto
- Use Almond meal instead of panko
- Add about one cup of heavy cream when sauteeing the mushrooms
- Sprinkle some cheese over everything before placing in the oven
The cheese and heavy cream are mainly if you are looking for a high-fat meal. Simply substituting the panko with some almond meal should be enough.
What to serve with Broccoli Casserole
Broccoli Casserole is the perfect side dish that will pretty much go with any of your main meals or roasts. Like Roasted Chicken, Pot Roasts, Steaks, Grilled Seafood, and so on. Here are a few dishes you can serve this Healthy Broccoli casserole with:
- Easy Garlic Herb Turkey Roast Recipe
- Oven Roasted Maple Turkey Breast
- Crispy Baked Salmon
- Oven-fried Chicken Tenders
- Creamy Chicken Potato Bake
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Skillet
Can Broccoli Casserole be frozen
It is safe to freeze any leftover broccoli casserole. Place in an airtight container before you store it for up to 1-2 months.
How long is Broccoli Casserole good for
Tightly wrap or store your broccoli casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The keep in the freezer for 1-2 months. They can be reheated in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 F.
Can I use fresh broccoli instead of frozen
Both fresh and frozen broccoli can be used to make broccoli casserole. The cooking time will vary. Fresh broccoli take a bit longer to cook than frozen.
How do you cut broccoli for a casserole
Cutting and preparing broccoli for your casserole is quite simple. Follow these easy steps:
- Wash Broccoli
- Using a knife, trim any leaves
- Cut florets as close to the stalk as possible
- Trim the stems off each floret so they are all uniform (similar in shape)
- They are ready for use
We would love to claim this healthy broccoli casserole to be the best on the internet! We want to hear from you if you try this. Please come back and give us some feedback in the comments below. Most importantly, don’t forget to share it! Tag #healthyfitnessmeals on Instagram for a possible feature.
Other side dishes to check out:
- Healthy Eggplant And Zucchini Gratin
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Roasted Smoked Sweet Potatoes
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Healthy Broccoli Casserole Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Broccoli Casserole
- 2 lbs Broccoli Florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Cup Button Mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Low-fat Milk or milk of choice dairy or non-dairy
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Whole-Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs Or Gluten-free
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking oil spray.
- Add the broccoli florets to a steaming basket and place it over a pot with boiling water. Cover and steam until just tender, then transfer the broccoli to the prepared casserole.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, mushrooms and smoked paprika and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot over medium heat whisk milk, cornstarch, salt, and pepper, until starts to thicken, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mushroom mix to the casserole, and pour over the milk sauce. Clean the pan with a paper towel, and lightly spray with cooking oil spray.
- Stir the breadcrumbs over medium heat, until golden, then sprinkle over the casserole.
- Place the casserole into the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- Use non-dairy milk for a vegan version
- Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- For a Gluten-free Version, use gluten-free panko
Hanks for this recipe. I used olive oil spray, and I added a little cheese and it was exceptional!
Kay Bell says
Can this casserole be made ahead of time, frozen, and then heated at a later date?
Yes you can.
Jo Ann Paralusz says
Can Oat Milk be used with this!
Yes. But the consistency will vary
I poured the onion mixture in and then the milk mixture in on top of that as I mis-read it. I hope it still comes out ok.
Is it ok to skip bread crumbs ?
Yes. you can
Hi-should the casserole go in without a cover?
yes. Its also up to you but its not needed.
Meta New says
Fixed this for my son. He is on a fat free diet. Loved it and requested me to make this often.
Thanks for a very healthy recipe.
So glad your son loved it!
What about adding chicken?
Yes you can add chicken
Thanks! I’m going to try it tonight.
Will this turn out just as well if I prepare and store in the refrigerator ahead of time and bake the next day?
Hi. Yes. It should be fine to prepare ahead
Did you make in advance?
Wanted to make for Christmas dinner and was wondering if I could make it tonight and heat up on Friday.
Wow! Finally a delicious recipe for broccoli casserole without tons of fat. I used fresh broccoli and mushrooms. Prepared exactly as instructed (except I used gf bread crumbs) and it turned out perfectly. Lots of flavor!
It would probably pair with just about anything.
Great recipe, Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you loved it.
What about adding chicken?
forgot to buy milk wht can i use instead
Rena I have no milk at all can I use chicken or beef broth instead
Hi there. Yes, you can!
Is there anything i could replace the mushrooms with?
You can make it without the mushrooms
Mrs. Lynda Allen says
this looks so delicious that i have given it a 5 star rating though i have not yet made it. I have never used smoked paprika before, so i am anxious about the flavor, but i am loving everything that goes into this healthy casserole. I want to know if i can prepare it and before adding bread crumbs, store it in the refrigerator over night. I would saute the bread crumbs just before putting into the oven the next day. How many frozen florets would be needed to serve 12? i am asking because, in these troubled times, who can know what will be available at the grocery store? Thanks for this tasty-sounding recipe and for your help in preparing it.
Hi Lynda. If you are nervous about the smoked paprika use regular or skip. Also, yes you prepare ahead and store in the fridge. As for how much broccoli to use, every 1 cup is one serving. 1 floret is about 2 servings.
I made it exactly by the recipe and it was delicous!
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it.
This was good but too much paprika. I also added some cooked chicken to turn it into an entree. Thanks!
this turned out very well! I skipped breadcrumbs as i did not have any. Instead i used bell pepper and some grated cheese on top. Thanks for the recipe!
That sounds amazing too! glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback!
I have it in the oven now! I did make two little tweaks. I shredded about a cup of Monterey Jack cheese and put over the broccoli and used 1/2 cup of whipping cream and 1/2 cup of skim milk. Maybe not as healthy but it does smell delicious! Thank you for the recipe.
Happy you liked it!
I just made it. It was great but the cream needs more flavor.. next time I will add Chicken broth to the sauce
Rena Awada says
Alisha Maggard says
What’s the serving size?
Hi. A small bowl
saad shah says
thanks for this i will surely try it