If you like Zucchini then you are going to love this Zucchini casserole recipe. It is easy to make, very nutritious, and the perfect side dish recipe to serve all year round for any occasion.
What a great way to add more veggies to your diet. There are so many different ways to use zucchini in meals, but this zucchini casserole is one of our favorite side dish recipes. The zucchinis are sliced and then partially roasted. The creamy parmesan sauce is then made with almond milk, garlic, cheese, and seasonings. The sauce is then poured over the zucchini laid out in the baking dish, topped with seasoned breadcrumbs, and then baked to perfection until ready to serve. Serve this zucchini casserole recipe as a side dish to literally any meal and it will pair perfectly. You can also easily make this vegetarian zucchini casserole vegan-friendly by using vegan or dairy-free cheese.
Why you will love this zucchini side dish recipe
- Versatile: You can add any other veggie like mushrooms to your zucchini casserole. It pairs well with almost any meal.
- Healthy: this vegetable casserole is packed with nutrition. Perfect way to serve up some veggies and they are low in carbs.
- Easy to make: All the is done in the oven. You just need to make the sauce, assemble the dish and pop in the oven.
Ingredients, tips, and substitutes
- Zucchini – we used green zucchini, but you may also use yellow zucchini or a mix of both.
- Salt and pepper
- Oil – any oil works. we used olive oil
- Onion – white, sweet, or red onion will ne fine.
- Garlic cloves– use fresh garlic cloves if you can. Garlic powder can be substited if in a pinch. use 1 tablspoon instead.
- Milk: any milk you decide to go with works. We used almond milk.
- Cornstarch: This makes the milk mixture thick. You can use flour instead but it would be more on the watery side.
- Oregano: if you prefer to use another seasoning you like, go right ahead. Italian would be another good option.
- Cheddar cheese: you can use light fat.
- Parmesan cheese: shred your own or use store bought.
- Bread Crumbs: use any bread crumbs you have. Seasoned will taste great with this zucchini casserole. Use gluten-free option if needed.
How to make this Zucchini casserole from scratch
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Place the sliced zucchini in an oven-safe dish and season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and toss well with your clean hands.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the zucchini slightly softens.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the almond milk with cornstarch and oregano.
Pour the milk mixture into the saucepan and simmer, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, or until sauce thickens to coat the back of the spoon. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
Remove the baking dish with the roasted zucchini from the oven. Drizzle with the garlic-parmesan sauce.
Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until squash is tender
frequently asked questions
Casseroles are a variety of foods that are ideal baked in a large or deep dish. The dish is referred to as a casserole dish, whereas the meal itself is simply called a casserole.
If you store the zucchini properly, it will last for about 10-14 days. They are best when stored in a paper or plastic bag with enough air going through it and placed in the fridge.
It is not recommended to freeze raw zucchini because once thawed they will become mushy and watery. You may have to blanch zucchini first before freezing.
Store leftover zucchini casserole in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. We do not recommend freezing this zucchini casserole recipe.
More recipe you may like
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Broccoli Chicken Pasta Casserole
- Healthy Broccoli Casserole
- Healthy Green Beans Casserole
- Baked Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Zucchini Casserole
- cutting board
- baking dish
- 2 lb zucchini sliced
- kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 onion grated
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup almond milk or 2% milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the sliced zucchini in an oven-safe dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and toss well with your clean hands. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the zucchini slightly softens.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the almond milk with cornstarch and oregano.
- Pour the milk mixture into the saucepan and simmer, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, or until sauce thickens to coat the back of the spoon. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Remove the baking dish with the roasted zucchini from the oven. Drizzle with the garlic-parmesan sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serving size: one cup
- Veggies: you may add any other vegetable like mushrooms if you like.
- Zucchini: we used only green, but you can add a mixture of green and yellow zucchini
- Milk: almond milk was used. Feel free to use any other milk of choice.
- Use Gluten-free bread crumbs if needed.
- Shred your own parmesan/cheese or you can use store-bought.
Bernadette Conroy says
Can you double this?
Rena Awada says
yes. You should be able to
Debbora Cook says
Is this a low carb dish?
It depends on how low you are looking for. But technically yes.