Once you learn how to make your very own Cajun seasoning at home, you’ll never go back to the store-bought packets. Spicy, savory, and filled with bold flavors, you will love this homemade Cajun seasoning for fries, protein, sauces, and so much more.
DIY Cajun seasoning from scratch is a must if you love the flavors of Creole spices and herbs. Packed with a little bit of heat and a super robust flavor profile from garlic and onion powder, this homemade Cajun seasoning recipe is essential for your kitchen needs.
This recipe teaches you how to make Cajun seasoning without all the extra sodium, preservatives, and additives which means this spice mix is healthy and gluten-free. Do you like a little bit of flare in your recipes? If so, you will really want to learn how to make this easy Creole seasoning!
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Zesty and flavorful: This seasoning contains the perfect combination of spices and herbs which makes it packed with flavor. This Creole spice mix is a little bit spicy and also savory which means it’s perfect for savory dishes like gumbo, jambalaya, and seafood.
- Great for meal prep: Preparing your own seasoning is a great course of action if you like to meal prep. There’s nothing better than having a stocked pantry or cupboard filled with your favorite go-to spice and herb mixes.
- Cost-effective and healthy: Unlike store-bought Cajun seasoning, this recipe is made from dried herbs and spices without all the extra stuff. This recipe is gluten-free and easy on your wallet.
Ingredients you will need
Learn how to make your very own DIY Cajun seasoning at home! Ditch the store-bought stuff and make this Creole spice mix because it’s healthy, quick, and made without the extra sodium.
How To Make Homemade Cajun Seasoning
First, prepare your workstation and measure all of your spices and dried herbs. We like to measure each ingredient and place them in individual bowls or containers prior to combining.
Next, place the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, and chili flakes in a shallow bowl. With a spoon or fork, mix everything together and store it in an airtight container.
If not using immediately, store the spice mix in a cool dry place such as your cupboard. We like to keep this homemade seasoning in a tightly sealed jar or storage container to preserve freshness.
How To Use This DIY Cajun Seasoning
You can use this spice mix for all sorts of recipes. Here are some of our favorite ways to use this seasoning:
- Chicken: Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta, Cajun Chicken Recipe
- Seafood: Shrimp and Sausage Skillet, Citrus Shrimp Salad
- Vegetables: Sprinkle this seasoning over your favorite veggies and roast them in the oven. We like to dust potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, onions, and more with this spice mix.
- Snacks: You can prepare a variety of savory and spicy snacks such as chips, crackers, toasted bread, dips, and so much more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditionally, Cajun seasoning is typically made with chili flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, and paprika. There are different varieties of Cajun seasoning out there – just pick your favorite!
Five Guys uses garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, black pepper, salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
There are a variety of herbs used in traditional Cajun cooking such as bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, allspice, parsley, thyme, cardamom, and more.
More Recipes You Will Enjoy
- Homemade Greek Seasoning
- Homemade Poultry Seasoning
- How To Make Mexican Seasoning
- DIY Taco Seasoning
- How To Cut a Potato
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- ½ Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- Mix all of the spices in a bowl with a fork or spoon.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store away from sunlight.
- store seasoning in a container with lid
- serving size: one tablespoon