Serve your family this Cajun chicken pasta recipe that is so creamy, filling, and extra delicious. A weeknight one-pot pasta dish that comes together in just 30 minutes. Tender and juicy chicken with each bite.
A quick yet indulgent chicken pasta recipe to impress family and friends on your dinner table. This cajun chicken pasta will tick all your boxes and satisfy your taste buds. It is easy to make, quick, and full of creamy garlic flavors. This Easy chicken pasta recipe is the perfect “semi” healthy chicken dinner recipe the whole family will love. It is similar to chili’s cajun chicken pasta, one of our favorite meals on their menu. Get this pasta dish ready and served at your dinner table in just 30 minutes with juicy and golden pan-fried chicken breast served in a zesty creamy parmesan sauce.
Why you will love this chicken pasta dish
- Delicious: The creamy garlic flavors of the pasta is out of this world good! Topped with tender and juicy cajun chicken to keep you satisfied and full.
- Healthier creamy pasta: No heavy cream or butter used to make this healthier version of chicken cajun pasta. Loaded with protein to keep you full.
- Simple and quick: In 30 minutes, you will have a delicious chicken pasta meal ready to serve and enjoy.
Ingredients substitutes and notes
- Oil: You will need oil to cook the chicken and then the onions and garlic to make the sauce. We usesd olive oil but any oil will work.
- Chicken: Use boneless and skinless chicken breast. Using boneless chicken thighs is ok but we recommend chicken breast.
- Seasonings: the seasonings you will need are: cajun, salt, and pepper.
- Pasta: Any pasta of choice will work for this cajun chicken pasta recipe. For a healthier option, you can use lentil pasta.
- Onions and Garlic: Used to make the creamy sauce base for flavor. It is important to use fresh ingredients for optimal flavor. If you dont have any fresh garlic you may use 1 tablespoon of garlic powder intsead.
- Milk: We used almond milk. Any milk of choice will work. 2% milk will work just fine.
- Lemon: Adding lemon zest adds a kick of flavor to the meal. It could be optional if you dont have any. You may also and the juic of half the lemon
- Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese was used which can be substituted with asiago or romano cheese.
- Flour: A small amount of flour is needed to thicken the sauce. You can use any flour you have on hand.
- Fresh tomatoes and parlsey: These ingredients are used to garnish the dish. They are optional but make for a great addition.
- Notes: Conider adding a teaspoon of cajun seasoning to the creamy garlic sauce mix for a kick in flavor.
How to make this cajun chicken pasta
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken with the cajun seasoning on both sides.
- Next, cook the chicken: Cook it for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through. About 4 minutes on each side. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Cook pasta: Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Make the creamy sauce: To the same preheated skillet, add the remaining oil, onion, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, or until the onion softens. (at this point, you may add about a teaspoon of cajun seasoning to the sauce). Next, add the almond milk, gluten-free flour and mix well to combine. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Stir continuously until the sauce is creamy and bubbly. Turn the heat off.
- Add pasta: Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the sauce.
- Serve: Finally, serve immediately with the sliced cajun chicken, fresh diced tomatoes, and freshly chopped parsley.
Frequently asked questions
If you don’t have any cajun seasoning or you find it a bit spicy, then there are a few options. The first option is to use Old Bay seasoning instead. Another option is to make your own Cajun seasoning which consists of the following seasonings: oregano, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Cajun chicken has a smoky and spicy flavor to it. Among other seasonings used to make cajun seasonings are smokey paprika and cayenne pepper.
No. Cayenne pepper is one of the ingredients used to make cajun seasoning. It is the ingredient that gives the cajun seasoning a spicy kick.
Store leftover cajun chicken pasta in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to eat, reheat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.
Other pasta dishes you may like
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Chicken Spinach Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Easy Cheeseburger Pasta
- Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 8 oz gluten-free pasta
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced, to serve
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with the cajun seasoning on both sides.
- Cook it for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- To the same preheated skillet, add the remaining oil, onion, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, or until the onion softens.
- Next, add the almond milk, gluten-free flour and mix well to combine.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Stir continuously until the sauce is creamy and bubbly. Turn the heat off.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the sauce.
- Serve immediately with the sliced cajun chicken, fresh diced tomatoes, and freshly chopped parsley.
- If you find cajun seasoning to be too spicy, you may use old bay seasoning.
- Use any pasta of choice. For a healthier option, use lentil or chickpea pasta
- Milk: you can use any milk you prefer.
- Instead of parmesan, try Romano cheese.
- any flour of choice would work.