Making your own Mexican seasoning is simple to do and great for whenever you want to enjoy the bright flavors of chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle, and so much more. Make your own seasoning to have on hand so you don’t ever have to buy it from the grocery store again.
Homemade Mexican seasoning is quick, easy, and simple to make at home in just a few minutes. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients to create your very own authentic flavors. We love to put this seasoning on so many things including tacos, fajitas, burritos, and more.
The best thing about this seasoning is that it is ready in minutes and can be used on so many different types of recipes: Mexican and non-Mexican!
What Is Mexican Seasoning Made of?
Here are the ingredients for our homemade Mexican seasoning. Feel free to swap or substitute any of the ingredients to suit your needs.
- Chili powder
- Ancho powder or smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chipotle chili
- Celery seeds
How To Use This Seasoning
Here are our favorite ways we like to enjoy this versatile Mexican seasoning recipe!
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Mexican Sweet Corn Soup
- Sprinkle the seasoning over meats and veggies
- Add the Mexican seasoning to marinara sauce, sauces, dips, dressing, and more!
How To Make Mexican Seasoning At Home
First, add all of the ingredients to a shallow bowl or plate.
Mix all of the ingredients together with a whisk or spoon until evenly combined.
Finally, transfer the seasoning to a closed jar or container and store it away from direct sunlight.
Store the Mexican seasoning in an air-tight jar or container away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Use the seasoning within six months.
Frequently Asked Questions
The two are very similar but different! Taco seasoning tends to be less mild compared to Mexican seasoning. Mexican seasoning tends to have a bit of a kick to it.
Be sure to use a wide array of spices if you’re wanting to go for that authentic Mexican flavor. We like to use this Mexican seasoning to transform recipes.
Cilantro, oregano, cumin, and Mexican thyme.
Other Step-By-Step Guides You’ll Enjoy
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- How To Make Breadcrumbs
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- How To Make Croutons
- How To Cut Green Onions
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
How To Make Mexican Seasoning
- 1 shallow bowl or plate
- 1 whisk
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ancho powder or smoked paprika
- ½ Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add all the ingredients to a shallow bowl or a plate.
- Mix until combined.
- Transfer to a closed jar/container and store away from direct sunlight.
- Chili powder – can be substituted for cayenne pepper
- Ancho powder – can be substituted for dried smoked paprika
- Ground cumin – there is no substitution for cumin, so omit it if you don’t like it or don’t have it on hand
- Oregano – you can add basil instead, or omit
- Garlic powder – omit if you don’t have it, but it adds much flavor
- Onion powder – omit if you don’t have it, but it adds much flavor
- Chipotle chili flakes – can be substituted for chipotle chili powder, chili flakes, or cayenne pepper
- Coriander – can be omitted if you don’t have it on hand but it adds a nice flavor
- Celery seeds – can be omitted if you don’t have them on hand
- Salt – use sea salt or Himalayan salt, which can be omitted if you don’t want to add it