This simple homemade strawberry Jam recipe is made with 4 simple ingredients and is ready in 15 minutes. Fresh, tasty, and so easy to make. Time to ditch the store-bought Jam and make your own at home.
Ditch store-bought Jam that is full of unknown ingredients and make your own at home. Making this homemade strawberry jam recipe is quite easy and doesn’t require a ton of ingredients. It is made without pectin and only needs about 10 minutes of cooking time. With the addition of chia seeds, you will get some added healthy fats with this homemade jam recipe.
You may use this homemade Strawberry Jam recipe with our Peanut Butter and Jelly Stuffed French Toast recipe or this Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats Recipe.
Why you should make this
- Easy and Quick: With only 4 simple and easy-to-follow steps you can make this homemade strawberry jam in less than 30 minutes.
- Healthy: Way healthier than store-bought, this strawberry Jam with chia seeds is made with healthy good-for-you ingredients. No hidden preservatives.
- Delicious: This healthy homemade Jam is so good and packed with flavor. The flavor is just so different from store-bought Jam.
Ingredients for Strawberry Jam
- Strawberries: If you can, please use fresh strawberries. It brings out the fresh taste of the jam. Unless they aren’t in season, you may use frozen strawberries.
- Honey: For a healthier option, we prefer you use honey. You may still go ahead and use sugar or agave.
- Chia seeds: Add in good and healthy fats. This is used to thicken up the Jam.
- Lemon juice: Recommended acidity to intensify the flavor.
How to make strawberry Jam
1. Cut the strawberries in half or equal sizes. Remove hull and Green leaf.
2. In a pot or saucepan over medium heat, add the strawberries, lemon juice, and honey. Stir the mixture occasionally.
3. When the strawberries start to soften, use a fork or potato masher to mash them up.
4. Taste the jam to ensure it is sweet enough. Add more honey or sugar if needed.
5. Add the chia seeds to the mashed strawberry mixture. Stir to combine.
6. Remove the pan from heat and let it cool for about 20-30 minutes. You may use a candy thermometer to check until it reaches 220F. Chia seeds will also help the jam thicken. The longer you wait the better.
7. Transfer the jam into a container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Freeze for up to 3 months
Recipe notes and Tips
- Use fresh Strawberries if possible. If you are using frozen strawberries, allow the strawberries to thaw first before adding them to the pot.
- To make strawberry preserves, use a potato masher or a fork to mash the strawberries. This will create some chunks and smaller pieces. That’s the difference between jam and preserves.
- For a smooth Jam consistency, make sure you mash the strawberries thoroughly to a smoother texture either by hand or using a hand blender or a mini blender.
- If you do not want to use chia seeds to thicken up the jam, you may skip it and use 1 tablespoon of cornstarch instead. Mix the cornstarch with a bit of cold water, add it to the pot with the mashed strawberries, and let it simmer on low for 5 more minutes.
- Consider adding about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. This is not a must though.
- Some strawberries might be more on the tart side. If that is the case, you may need to add more sugar or honey. Taste and decide. You may use regular granulated sugar or for a healthier option, use honey or agave.
How to Store Strawberry Jam
Once the strawberry Jam has cooled, transfer it to a clean and dry jar. Once it has cooled and reached room temperature and the Jam is set, close the lid and store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You may freeze for up to 3 months.
How to use strawberry Jam
There are endless ways to serve this homemade strawberry jam. Serve them over yogurt, with some oatmeal, over ice cream, in sandwiches, toast, or fresh bread, add them in overnight oats, in cookies, and the list goes on. You can get as creative as you possibly can with how you serve Jam.
More homemade and how to Recipes
- Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Pesto Recipe
- How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce
- How to make Homemade Nutella
- Homemade Healthy Alfredo Sauce
- How to make Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- How to make Homemade Ranch Dressing
Also, if you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Share it with friends and family on social media.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Homemade Strawberry Jam Recipe
- Medium Sauce Pan
- Potato Masher or hand blender
- Jar with Lid
- 2 cups Strawberries fresh prepared or frozen, hulled
- 3 tbsp Honey agave or granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds or 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest Optional
- Cut the strawberries in half. Remove hull and Green leaf.
- In a pot or saucepan over medium heat, add the strawberries, lemon juice, and honey. Stir the mixture occasionally. Let it simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- When the strawberries start to soften, use a fork or potato masher to mash them up.
- Taste the jam to ensure it is sweet enough. Add more honey or sugar if needed and simmer for 1-2 minutes..
- Add the chia seeds to the mashed strawberry mixture. Stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool for about 20-30 minutes. Chia seeds will also help the jam thicken. The longer you wait the better.
- Transfer the jam into a container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Freeze for up to 3 months
- 2 tablespoons per serving
- Use fresh Strawberries if possible. If using frozen, allow the strawberries to thaw first.
- To make strawberry preserves, use a potato masher or a fork to mash the strawberries. This will create some chunks and smaller pieces.
- For a Jam consistency, mash the strawberries thoroughly to a smoother texture either by hand or using a hand blender.
- If you do not want to use chia seeds to thicken up the jam, you may skip it and use 1 tablespoon of corn starch instead.