Looking for a low-carb recipe? This stuffed Buffalo chicken zucchini boat recipe is right for you. They are so delicious, easy to make, and perfectly low in carbs, and keto-friendly. With just a few simple ingredients, you will have these zucchini boats on your dinner table in no time!
Making these keto zucchini boats can be so much fun and you can get as creative as you like with the stuffing. We have several stuffed zucchini boats recipes that you can check out as well. They are all amazing especially this Tuna Melt Zucchini Boat recipe. These buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini boats are so tasty and quite simple to make. To make things even easier, you can use some shredded rotisserie chicken instead of cooking ground chicken from scratch. This low-carb buffalo-style chicken recipe is keto-friendly and perfect for everyone to enjoy. Serve these stuffed zucchini boats as appetizers or as a main meal but either way you can’t go wrong with this recipe!
Why you will love this stuffed zucchini boat recipe
- Low carb and healthy: This buffalo chicken recipe is low in carbs and made with healthy and clean ingredients. They are perfect for those who are on a keto-diet.
- Simple and easy: Making this simple chicken and zucchini recipe can’t get any easier. Make the stuffing, stuff the zucchini, top with cheese and bake.
- Delicious: A great alternative to the buffalo chicken you crave from restaurants. They are so deliosus and full of flavor.
Ingredients you will need and substitutes
- Zucchini: you will need the zucchinis a bit on the large side. If you want to use yellow zucchini thats fine too.
- Salt and pepper – you may use freshly ground pepper. Ajust the seasoning to taste.
- Oil: we used olive oil, but any other neutral oil of choice will be fine.
- Garlic: be sure to use fresh garlic for a robust flavor. If you dont have any fresh gralic you may use garlic powder
- Chicken: use lean ground chicken, you may grind your own chicken breast at home. If you pefer using lean groun turkey thats perfectly fine.
- Buffalo sauce: make your own or use your favorite store-bought sauce. There are many healthier buffalo sauve options now with low to no sugar added.
- Cheese: we used shredded mexcian blend. Any shredded cheese you have handy will work just fine.
- Parsley: this ingredient is used to garnish. so it can be optional
How to make this stuffed buffalo chicken zucchuni boats recipe
- First, preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Next, prepare the zucchini boats: To create the boats, half the zucchini lengthwise and using a spoon, scrape the insides leaving a ¼-inch rim. Reserve the zucchini center to use it later on.
- Cook the zucchini first: Lay the zucchini boats, cut side up onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spray with a tiny bit of avocado oil cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Make the buffalo chicken stuffing: Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add the ground chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook the meat for 6-7 minutes, or until fully cooked through, stirring occasionally and mincing it with a wooden spoon. Stir in the zucchini center, buffalo sauce, and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Stuff the Zucchini boats: Divide the buffalo chicken filling among your zucchini boats. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Finally, granish and serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve the zucchini boats warm.
frequently asked questions
Zucchini boats need about 20-25 minutes of baking at 400 º F depending on how soft you like them. If you like a bit of crunch to it, you won’t need to bake for more than 18-20 minutes.
Technically, you can freeze any food and reheat later but we do not recommend freezing zucchini boats because they will come out soggy and soft when thawed. If this is something you don’t mind then sure they can be frozen for up to 3 months.
First, you will need to thoroughly wash the zucchini since you won’t need to peel them. Then, slice the zucchinis and remove the core. Once the core is removed, you can continue to stuff and bake them, or you may salt them a bit and let them sit for a few minutes to release some of their water. Pat the zucchini dry with a paper towel.
Place leftover zucchini boats in a sealed container and place them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Once ready to serve, reheat them in the microwave for about 60-90 seconds or place in a preheated oven for about 5-10 minutes.
Note and tips
- For the chicken, you can grind your own chicken breast at home. If you prefer to use lean ground turkey that’s totally fine too.
- To cut back on time, consider using shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Any type of cheese blend would work for this recipe.
- Do not over bake them because the cheese will dry out while the zucchini will get to be more on the soggy side.
- Use a spicy buffalo sauce if you like it to be more on the spicy side.
- You can use yellow zucchini instead of green.
More zucchini recipes you may like
- Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Vegan Zucchini Lasagna
- Zuccini Lasaga Boats
- Zucchini Enchilada Roll Ups
- Easy Zucchini Fritters
- Greek Zucchini Moussaka
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchini
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped or pressed
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican blend chees
- To garnish: fresh parsley finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- To create the boats, half the zucchini lengthwise and using a spoon, scrape the insides leaving a ¼-inch rim. Reserve the zucchini center to use it later on.
- Lay the zucchini boats, cut side up onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spray with a tiny bit of avocado oil cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add the ground chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook the meat for 6-7 minutes, or until fully cooked through, stirring occasionally and mincing it with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the zucchini center, buffalo sauce, and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Divide the buffalo chicken filling among your zucchini boats. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve the zucchini boats warm.
- serving size is half stuffed zucchini. so one zucchini boat
- you may use shredded rotisserie chicken to save on time. they are just as delicious.
- if you prefer using the yellow zucchini that’s perfectly fine
- you may use any of your favorite low sugar buffalo sauce.
- garlic: if you don’t have any fresh garlic, use 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- you may store any leftover zucchini boat in the fridge for up to 2 days.
I cook the zucchini in the microwave until a little soft then cutting in have and continue with your recipe, no garlic and coriander in stead of parsley and some time I put breadcrumb in the top and then cheese . Really delicious.
Thanks Rena we love your recipes
Rena Awada says
Thank you Grace. So glad you loved it
Heather Haithcock says
I’m going to look at these recipes. I have to change my unhealthy eating. Thank You for putting this out there it made me think about my health.
Too much sodium
You may adjust
Tried this and it was soooo good I didn’t even need cream cheese ❤️
Tracy Ash says
These were fantastic! Next time I think I’ll try using crumbled Bleu cheese. Thanks for an easy and yummy recipe 🙂
That sounds yummy. Thank you. Glad you loved it