This Greek Moussaka Recipe is made with a lean ground beef sauce and layered with zucchini instead of potatoes for a low carb option. It is very easy to make, so flavourful and the perfect weeknight dinner recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
A moussaka recipe is a traditional greek delicacy that’s usually made with layers of eggplants, ground beef or lamb sauce filling and topped with potatoes. It is a comforting authentic Mediterranean dish that’s full of flavor and easy to make. This Greek moussaka recipe is tweaked to keep it light and healthy compared to the classic moussaka dish. It is a low carb moussaka recipe option for those who are on a low carb and the keto diet.
How to make Moussaka
This easy moussaka recipe is made a bit differently from the traditional recipe without skipping on the taste. My aim is to tweak certain dishes and change the recipes up a bit to give you a healthier option without missing out on taste and flavor.
I decided to make this greek moussaka recipe healthy by using zucchini instead of eggplant and layering it with more zucchini instead of potatoes.
First, slice the zucchinis, sprinkle a bit of salt on them and place over a paper towel to retain some of the moisture.
Then, prepare the meat filling by cooking the onions, garlic and minced meat in a skillet. Add on tomato sauce and seasonings and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
Layer the baking dish with zucchini, then some meat sauce, and followed by some ricotta cheese.
Repeat these steps for an additional layer or two, then top with more sliced zucchini, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and then bake for 25-30 minutes.
WHAT IS MOUSSAKA
Moussaka is a Greek dish that is similar to lasagna but quite different at the same time. It is a layered casserole that’s made with vegetables and meat. The most popular version of greek moussaka is made with layers of sliced eggplant, some sort of cheese, and a meat sauce. That is usually then topped with a thick béchamel sauce. Other favorite toppings used in moussaka recipes are potatoes, zucchini, or a combination of vegetables of choice.
DOES GREEK MOUSSAKA HAVE POTATOES IN IT
Some moussaka recipes will call for a layer of potatoes as the top layer. Most healthier alternatives do not have potatoes. For a low carb option, this greek moussaka recipe is made with a layer of zucchini instead of potatoes.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE GREEK MOUSSAKA WITH
Moussaka is a complete and wholesome dish and most times won’t require a side dish especially the ones that have a top potato layer. If you would like a side this that goes with this greek moussaka dish, then try some quinoa or some brown rice. By adding carbs as a side dish, this recipe will no longer be low carb and keto-friendly. Other options are a side of salad or more roasted veggies.
WHAT IS A VEGETABLE MOUSSAKA
A vegetable moussaka is exactly what it sounds like, moussaka made of only vegetables and no meat or lamb. Keeping it a vegetarian option by making the tomato sauce base with a variety of veggies.
CAN YOU FREEZE MOUSSAKA
Yes. You can freeze your moussaka dish and enjoy it at a later time. Cover the dish carefully or place it in a tightly sealed container and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw the night before in the fridge and pop back in the oven to reheat. You can, of course, use the microwave if you prefer.
This is the BEST and easiest moussaka recipe ever. I hope you like it as much as we do. If you do make this recipe and love it, please rate it and leave me a comment below. Also, don’t forget to tag me on social media if you take a picture of your creation!
Other Easy dinner recipes for you to try soon:
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Boats
- Easy Creamy Garlic Chicken Skillet
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Easy Chili Salmon Zucchini Noodles
- Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Greek Zucchini Moussaka Recipe
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion diced
- 1 15oz Jar Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1½ tsp Dried oregano
- ½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/8 Ground Clove
- 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Large Zucchini (about 1.5 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- ¼ Cup Ground Parmesan Cheese
- Freshly chopped herbs of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 12x8'' baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent and soft, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the meat and continue to cook until no longer pink, breaking it with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat, and simmer until sauce is reduced about 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and proceed to make the casserole. Layer zucchini slices to the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then top with an even layer of meat sauce.
- Spread over half of the ricotta cheese, then repeat the layers. Finish with a layer of zucchini slices, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly with golden tops and tender zucchini. Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped herbs and enjoy!