Need a little change from your regular meatballs? Try this Gluten-free and dairy-free Italian Turkey Meatballs recipe. We have no doubt that you will love it! Pair them with some quinoa or some whole wheat spaghetti.
Who isn’t a fan of meatballs? These Italian Turkey Meatballs are great on sandwiches, in pasta dishes, or even just as an appetizer. Meatballs are a favorite because they are so versatile in the kitchen. For example, they can be mixed with a variety of fresh green herbs and spices to change up the flavor. They are also great for those into meal prepping their meals!
Why you will love this recipe
- Healthy: This turkey meatball recipe is high in protein and made with healthy ingredients to feed the family a delicious nutritious meal.
- Easy to make: This recipe is super easy to make with just 15 minutes of prep time and is ready in under 30 minutes.
- Comforting: Nothing tastes more comforting that a nice bowl of meatballs and spaghetti
This recipe for healthy Turkey Meatballs will leave your mouth watering. These delicious perfectly shaped balls of flavor are made with ground turkey instead of ground beef. This makes them not only healthier meatballs but also gives a slightly different flavor that you are sure to love. Easy homemade turkey meatballs that are perfectly served over whole wheat spaghetti or zucchini noodles.
Ingredients you will need
- Ground Turkey: use at least 90% lean turkey. You may also use ground beef or ground chicken
- breadcrumbs use gluten-free versions if needed: you can also make your own breadcrumbs. Here is how you can make your own breadcrumbs.
- Seasonings: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, chopped fresh parsley.
- 1 egg: used as a binder
- 3 cups marinara sauce Look for a low-sugar, low-fat variety, warmed
- cooking spray
HOW TO MAKE TURKEY MEATBALLS
- Preheat the broiler: First, line a sheet pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Prep the meatball: Place the turkey, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, egg, and water in a bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. You may need to add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to get a smooth mixture.
- Roll Meatballs: Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball. Place the meatball on the sheet pan and repeat with the remaining meat.
- Cook: Spray the tops of the meatballs with cooking spray. Broil for 10 minutes or until meatballs are just done.
- Serve: Place the meatballs on a plate and pour the marinara sauce over the top. Finally, sprinkle with
parsley and serve immediately.
Frequently asked questions
These turkey meatballs in a marinara sauce can be served with a variety of side dishes. Here are some options for what you can serve these meatballs with:
Zoodles (also known as zucchini noodles)
Whole grain pasta
Freeze-cooked turkey meatballs for up to 2-3 months. Also, allow the meatballs to cool completely and then place them in a tightly sealed airtight container before placing them in the freezer.
Time varies depending on the method you are using to cook your turkey meatballs. Here are some methods and how long each takes:
Stovetop: If using a skillet and cooking over your stovetop, then cook the meatballs for about 3 minutes on each side.
Baking: Bake in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until a food thermometer reads 165F.
Broil: broil meatballs for about 10-12 minutes or until browned. You may also use a thermometer to be sure
We want to know your thoughts on this easy homemade Italian Turkey Meatball recipe. Leave us some feedback in the comments below. Also, don’t forget to rate it and share it on social media with your friends and family.
Check out these other easy recipes we think you will love:
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Boats
- Keto Shrimp Scampi Zoodles
- Italian Chicken Veggie Soup
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs In Tomato Sauce
- Easy Chili Salmon Zucchini Noodles
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Italian Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey 93% lean
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs use gluten-free version if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups marinara sauce look for a low-sugar, low-fat variety, warmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Place the turkey, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, egg and water in a bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. You may need to add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to get a smooth mixture.
- Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball.
- Place the meatball on the sheet pan and repeat with remaining meat.
- Spray the tops of the meatballs with cooking spray. Broil for 10 minutes or until meatballs are just done.
- Place the meatballs on a plate and pour the marinara sauce over the top, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.