This Spaghetti Squash recipe is baked to perfection and stuffed with an Italian blend of Turkey sausage, marinara, and mozzarella cheese. Spaghetti squash looks similar to spaghetti noodles, only in the vegetable form! It is a great way of sneaking vegetables into your meals and makes a perfect low carb meal.
Baked Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats Recipe
This is the perfect recipe to go to when you are ready to give the mild, yellow vegetable a try. This baked Italian Spaghetti Squash recipe is to die for and the best part is they are low carb and so filling. They put a whole new twist on spaghetti. Zesty, vibrant, red marinara sauce sits atop a bright yellow spaghetti squash bowl to make for an extra appealing meal.
Is eating Spaghetti Squash good for you?
Spaghetti squash is good for you in the sense that they are nutrient dense and very low in calories. High in fiber, vitamin C and B 6, spaghetti squash have become very popular in the food world. One cup of spaghetti squash has 0.6g of fat, 7g of carbs and 1.5g of fiber. Spaghetti Squash is usually best baked.
What does spaghetti squash taste like?
Spaghetti squash is usually best when baked for best results. They look like spaghetti, the texture is similar to spaghetti but the taste is definitely not that of have real spaghetti. Some may say they have a bland earthy taste to it which is why they are usually stuffed which gives them a lot of flavors. They do not have the same taste as an acorn or butternut squash which as usually on the sweet side.
Making this Recipe?
I would love to see your remake of this baked Spaghetti Squash. Tag me on Instagram so I can see it. You can also send me a DM. Leave me a comment below with some feedback and what stuffing you used for your squash.
More healthy recipes for you to take a quick peek at:
- Baked Keto Zucchini Fries
- Honey Roasted Butternut Squash
- Chicken Alfredo Zoodles
- Crispy Baked Salmon
- Shrimp Stuffed Avocado Recipe
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this baked spaghetti squash delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
How to make this Baked Spaghetti Squash Below:
Baked Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 small to medium sized spaghetti squash halved and seeds removed
- 8 ounces Italian turkey sausage links casings removed
- 2 cups of prepared marinara sauce look for a low fat, low sugar variety
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the spaghetti squash halves cut side down in a rectangular baking dish. Add water to come up 1 inch in the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Using a fork, remove most of the flesh of the squash, leaving the shells behind.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the turkey sausage in the pan and cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the marinara sauce and spaghetti squash into the pan; season to taste with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is warmed through.
- Preheat the broiler. Divide the spaghetti squash mixture between the two shells and sprinkle the cheese over the tops.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned. Watch carefully so that it doesn't burn!
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
I love this recipe! I’ve made it a couple of times. Before putting the squash in the oven, I put some olive oil, salt, pepper and a few red pepper flakes in each half. I have added 1/2 diced tomato and a minced clove of garlic to the pan before adding the sausage. And I threw in a chopped tomato, Italian seasoning and some basil after adding the marinara sauce (mostly because the sauce was plain).
My husband loves it too and he rarely likes anything healthy!
Carolyn Novakovich says
Love this recipe! Where did you get the baking sheet in the photos? Thank you!
Hi there. It’s been so long I really can’t recall. I will let you know if it comes to mind.
Boyd Kobe says
This looks incredibly delicious, My family would love it!
Thank you. I hope they do
Melissa Griffiths says
Love this! I love swapping veggies for more calorie-dense carbs!