This Eggplant and Zucchini Gratin recipe is perfectly baked and ready in less than an hour. It’s very easy to put together and a much better way to eat your veggies with less than 100 calories per serving.
You may also call this Baked Eggplant And Zucchini Gratin an eggplant Ratatouille. They are essentially the same dish made with sliced eggplants, zucchini, and tomatoes. Prepared in a skillet with Italian seasoning, garlic, topped with Parmesan cheese, and then baked to perfection. This baked egglant zucchini dish is super easy to put together and tastes amazing. Maked for a perfect side dish during the holidays and pairs well but almost anything at your dinner table. You just can’t go wrong with this dish.
- Healthy and nutritious: this baked zucchini and eggplant side dis is made with healthy and clean ingredients that are nutritious and good for you.
- Easy and simple: Making this parmesan eggplant bake is simple and easy. You only need a few ingredients along with the main veggies you are using. Once you have the eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes sliced up, the rest is pretty simple and straight forward.
- Perfect for a gathering: This zucchini and eggplant ratatouille bake is the perfect side dish to add to your dinner table for any gathering or event.
Ingredients you will need
Full measurements are listed further down below in the recipe card
- Eggplants sliced into 1/4″ slices: Choose firm medium-sized egglplants
- Zucchini sliced into 1/4″ slices: Try not to get zucchini that are bruised and on the soft side. They should be firm.
- Vine Ripe Tomatoes sliced into 1/4″ slices
- Seasonings you will need: Italian seasoning, Garlic powder, salt, and fresh ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese: grate your own or use storebought. You can add as much as you want and feel-free to double the amount we used.
- Olive Oil: you may also use avocado oil.
How to make this baked Eggplant and Zucchini Gratin
Preheat the oven to 375F and in the meantime slice up your veggies!
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl add eggplant and zucchini slices. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic
powder, Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle with olive oil and toss to get all slices well coated.
Arrange sliced veggies alternatively into the prepared baking dish, making a spiral stack
starting from the edge all the way through the middle.
Place the dish on a rack in center of the oven and bake for 40 minutes until vegetables are
soft and the top is golden brown.
What to serve with eggplant gratin
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Thanksgiving Trurkey Roast
- Rosemary Maple Glazed Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Beef Pot Roast
Commonly asked questions
If you slice and eggplant and it is brown on the inside then we suggest you throw it out. Good eggplant shoulnt be brown and it should be more on the white side. Darker colored seeds are fine. Sometimes eggplants that are frozen and thawed will have a slight yellowish tone to it which is fine.
For this recipe it is not necessary to soak the eggplant. Once the eggplant is sliced, you may set then on a flat surface, sprinkle a bit of salt over them, and allow moisture to sweat out of the eggplant. Same goes for the zucchini. Dab the excess moisture with a paper towl. This step is not necessary but optional.
The skin of an eggplant is edible. Especially if the eggplants are small or medium in size. Once cooked they will be soft enough to eat. If the eggplant is quite large, chances are the skin will be tough. We did not peel the egglants or rhe zucchini for this baked egglant and zucchini dish.
REccipes you may like
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Baked Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Herb Baked Turkey Breast
- Baked Balsamic Cranberry Chicken
Plan to make this Healthy Eggplant And Zucchini Gratin? Would love hear your thoughts about it in the comments below. Also, don’t forget to use my #healthyfitnessmeals hashtag on Instagram so I can see your remakes.
Healthy Eggplant and Zucchini Gratin
- 2 Medium Eggplants sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 2 Medium Zucchini sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1 lb Vine Ripe Tomatoes sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 1/3 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese or more
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl add eggplant, tomato and zucchini slices. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, Parmesan and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to get all slices well coated.
- Arrange sliced veggies alternatively into the prepared baking dish, making a spiral stack starting from the edge all the way through the middle
- Place the dish on a rack in center of the oven and bake for 40 minutes until vegetables are soft, and the top is golden brown. Enjoy!
- you do not need to peel the eggplant or zucchini
- wash the tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant really well
- use any oil of your choice
- add more parmesan cheese if you like