This Easy Orange Chicken Stir Fry recipe is made with lean chicken breast, bell peppers, onions, and a sweet and spicy orange sauce. Better than takeout, this makes for a perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
Chinese takeout made healthy right at home. Make your own orange chicken recipe healthier using lean chicken breast, sauteed instead of breaded and fried. This easy orange chicken recipe can be ready in just 30 minutes, juicy, tender, and a recipe the whole family can enjoy. Quick and simple with tons of flavor!
HOW TO MAKE EASY ORANGE CHICKEN AT HOME
- Cut the Chicken– Cut the boneless and skinless chicken breast into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the Chicken– Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add chicken, and sprinkle with garlic powder, chili flakes sea salt and pepper. You may skip adding the chili peppers of you plan on the kids having some! Cook stirring occasionally, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, then set aside on a plate.
- Cook the Veggies– In the same skillet add the remaining oil, and fry the ginger, bell pepper, and onion, for 2-3 minutes.
- Prepare the Orange Sauce – In a small bowl whisk orange juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Pour the sauce over the stir-fried veggies and stir to combine and deglaze all those delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Combine Sauce with Chicken– Return the chicken to the pan and cover with the sauce, cooking for a few more minutes until everything is heated up. Finally, garnish with sliced scallions, sesame seeds, and orange slices. Enjoy!
What is orange chicken
Orange chicken is a Chinese dish found in North American Chinese restaurants made of chopped breaded Chicken that’s fried and then coated in a sweet and spicy orange sauce.
How to make Orange Chicken Sauce
The orange chicken sauce has a combination of sweet and spicy flavor. It can easily be made at home using a few ingredients. This is what you will need:
- Orange Juice
- Soy sauce
- Red Chili
- Sugar or honey (not included in our recipe)
- Corn Starch (optional)
Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Cook separately in a saucepan before adding to breaded fried chicken or add to cook with stir-fry chicken.
What to make or serve with Orange Chicken
- Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Veggies
- Grains like, barley or bulger
- Pasta or noodles
- Try Zucchini Noodles for low carb noodle option
- Brown Rice
How to Store Orange Chicken
Orange chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To freeze leftover orange chicken, place in a tightly sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, place in the fridge to thaw 24 hours ahead and reheat in microwave or stovetop using a saucepan.
How to reheat Orange Chicken
For a frozen orange chicken, allow it to thaw in the fridge the night before and then use one of the following methods to reheat:
- Oven: Breaded orange chicken, place in a sheet pan and rebake them for 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Microwave: Reheat Stir-Fried orange chicken using the microwave for 1-2 minutes if they were pre thawed.
- StoveTop: Place Orange chicken in a saucepan and reheat at medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Consequently, if it is too dry you may add some more fresh orange juice or water to get it saucy.
We love this healthy orange chicken recipe because it is so easy to make and super tasty. We hope you love it too! If you make this recipe and loved it please leave us a comment below and don’t forget to rate it! Also, pin it and share it with your friends and family.
Other Asian inspired recipes to check out:
- Shrimp Pad Thai
- Asian Shrimp Zucchini Noodles
- Low Carb Asian Chicken Cups
- Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- Szechuan Shrimp Stir Fry
- Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Honey Sesame Chicken
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this easy Orange Chicken Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken Breast boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ Tsp Chili Flakes
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1 inch Ginger thumb size, fresh, chopped
- 1 Large Bell Pepper chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Purple Onion chopped
- ⅓ Cup Fresh Orange Juice
- ¼ Cup Low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1½ Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Sliced Scallions or green onions
- Orange slices to garnish optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add chicken, and sprinkle with garlic powder, chili flakes sea salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, then set aside on a plate
- In the same skillet add the remaining oil, and stir fry the ginger, bell pepper and onion, for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk orange juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Pour the sauce over the stir-fried veggies and stir to combine and deglaze all those delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cover with the sauce, cooking for a few more minutes until everything is heated up.
- Garnish with sliced scallions, sesame seeds, and orange slices. Enjoy!