Delicious and nourishing Chicken Vegetable Soup is filled with hearty veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, and sweet potatoes. And the addition of chicken packs plenty of protein for a satisfying, cozy dinner that’s perfect for the cooler months.
Chicken Vegetable Soup combines so many of our favorite things into one pot: tender veggies, seasoned chicken, a flavorful broth, and fresh herbs. It’s so easy too! Once you’ve chopped up the vegetables, this soup is pretty effortless to make.
Not only is this dish simple to make, but it’s one of those meals you’ll feel great eating and feeding your family; it’s hearty, warm, and comforting while also being filled with healthy ingredients! If you’re looking for a flavor-packed soup to keep you on track with healthy eating goals, this chicken vegetable soup is it.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy: Loaded with nutrient-rich ingredients that keep you satisfied while nourishing your body. This meal has it all from the protein-packed chicken to the wholesome veggies.
- Easy to make: This dish could not be easier to make, all in one pot!
- Versatile: One of the best things about vegetable soup is that it’s completely customizable. We’ve listed the ingredients we typically use, but feel free to substitute or completely leave out any vegetable to suit your family’s taste preference.
- So much flavor: This cozy bowl of deliciousness is one that you’ll want on repeat all season long. Serve with a warm loaf of crusty bread for sopping up all that wonderful broth!
This comforting chicken veggie soup is filled with good-for-you ingredients and warming flavors that are perfect for colder months. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Chicken breasts: One pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts are needed for this recipe. This cut of meat is lean and we usually have it on hand. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs would be a great substitute.
- Vegetables: This soup recipe includes a hearty dose of healthy veggies! We’re using onion, celery, carrots, sweet potato, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Fresh garlic: For a boost of delicious flavor.
- Crushed or Diced tomatoes with juices & chicken stock: These two ingredients create the base of the soup and give it tons of extra flavor. I suggest using low-sodium broth or stock, so you’re able to control the saltiness of the soup.
- Herbs: Fresh parsley is the perfect garnish for freshness and color.
How to make this chicken soup recipe
You may have tried other vegetable soup recipes, but this one is sure to be a favorite! It’s so flavorful and super easy! Here’s the simple process:
For the full, printable recipe, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Cook the chicken: Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or a soup pot and sear the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Sauté the veggies: Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and diced tomatoes with all their juices.
- Simmer: Add the potatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms, and pour in the stock. Return the chicken back to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender.
- Serve: Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!
Tips for recipe success
- Time-saving tip: To save time, buy pre-cut onion, celery and carrots in either the produce or freezer department. No need to thaw before sautéing. You can also use pre-minced garlic from a jar.
- Different vegetables: Feel free to use any vegetables that you’d like. This chicken vegetable soup is very easy to customize. You can use green beans in place of the zucchini or swap out the mushrooms and replace them with corn or bell pepper. The options are endless!
- Make ahead: This soup can easily be prepped in advance by pre-cooking the chicken and/or chopping the veggies and storing them in the refrigerator until ready to use. The veggies will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Frequently asked questions
One taste and you’ll see that this soup is incredible, but be sure to give it a taste test and then add salt, as preferred. The saltiness of the stock, chicken, canned tomatoes and personal preferences for salt all vary, so salt to taste. You can also add a pop of flavor with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and favorite toppings, such as fresh herbs, crushed crackers, and/or a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
This soup recipe is very nutritious. The chicken adds lean protein and the veggies are filled with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that have many health benefits.
Though their ingredients are mostly the same, there is a difference between them. Stock is made from bones, while the broth is made mostly from meat or vegetables. Using bones in stock makes the liquid a bit thicker, while the broth is usually thinner and more flavorful. Feel free to use either in this recipe.
- Sandwich: A soup and sandwich combo is always a winner!
- Crusty bread: Every chicken soup needs a hearty hunk of bread or some good crackers and this soup is no exception. More delicious options: cornbread, garlic bread, breadsticks, rolls, or a crusty baguette!
- Light salad: While you’re getting a ton of veggies in this soup, a simple side salad is a great pairing.
If you have leftover soup, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days, or in the freezer for up to six months.
Reheat in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat until heated through, or in the microwave in one-minute increments, stirring occasionally. If the soup is frozen, thaw it overnight in the fridge for best results.
More healthy soup recipes
- Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Italian Chicken And Bean Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Vegan Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- Chilli Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced or crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 large sweet potato cut into small cubes
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 8 oz brown mushrooms sliced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or a soup pot and sear the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots and saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and diced tomatoes with all their juices. Add the potatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms, and pour the stock. Return the chicken back into the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!