On chilly nights this Sausage and White Bean Soup recipe can warm your soul and it’s delicious too! Those days where it is just raining and all you want to do is read a good book and eat a great soup- make this Soup recipe. You won’t be sorry.
One of the best things about this delicious Sausage and White Bean Soup recipe is the fact that it is a one-pot meal. Easy clean up is a huge perk for me. The soup is filling and so easy to make, we cook it up year-round!
Why this soup is so good
- Easy: Just throw all the ingredients into one big pot and cook, takes less than 30 mins from the pantry to table!
- Hearty: Packed with ingredients that’ll satisfy your hunger pangs, from white beans to sausage!
- Healthy: Loaded with veggies such as carrots and spinach.
Ingredients for this Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Olive oil
- Vegetables: Onion, celery, carrots, spinach
- Beans: White beans, rinsed and drained.
- Sausage: Cooked chicken sausage
- Chicken broth: Or you can use vegetable broth
- Herbs: Dried thyme and parsley
- Salt and pepper: to taste
- Garnish: I like fresh parsley for color and freshness
How to make this Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Prep: Chop your vegetables and sausage, then soften the vegetables and brown the sausage in a pot with oil.
- Cook: Pour in chicken broth and the seasoning into the pot and simmer.
- Stir: After 10 minutes add in beans and spinach, stir and cook for a few more minutes.
What protein to use in this Soup?
Sausage works great, I chicken sausage as it’s delicious and also has fewer calories than pork or beef. If you are not a sausage person you can always change the meat out for veggies or a different protein altogether. Try some shredded chicken! Either way, when you decide to make it, it will end up a family favorite for years to come.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Like many soups, braises, and stews, this tastes best the 2nd day. So if you can actually plan your life more than 24 hours at a time, whip this up a day before you actually want to serve it. Once you have everything in the pot, it just sits there doing its thing, easy!
The great thing about this recipe is you can switch up the ingredients and make endless combinations.
You change up the greens. Instead of spinach, try kale or Swiss chard.
Switch up the beans. White beans really do work well with the sausage, but you could try navy or great northern.
Want to make this with a different kind of sausage? Sure thing! Try chicken kielbasa, or a pork and beef combo. Other kinds of sausage will work here too like Italian sausage (hot or mild).
You can put n some pasta too, for a super hearty meal! Smaller-sized one like ditalini, orzo, or mini shells works best. Cook this pasta separately and add to the soup at the end. About one cup should suffice without overwhelming the soup and making it too starchy.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! Bean soups freeze very well and are great protein-packed meals to have ready to go in the freezer. Just let the soup cool to room temp, then pour it into a zip-top plastic freezer bag and then simply lay it flat in the freezer.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Make a day ahead to allow the flavors to develop.
- To make spicier add some red pepper flakes when browning the sausage.
- Increase cooking time slightly if using chard or kale.
- Garnish with fresh parsley for a hit of freshness.
Hungry for more delicious recipes? Check these out:
- Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- Roasted Pepper Hummus
- Healthy Pasta Primavera Recipe
- Skinny Lasagna Skillet
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive all my new recipes like this Sausage and white bean soup recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Sausage and White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 3/4 cup celery sliced
- ¾ cup carrots sliced
- 1 lb chicken sausage sliced, fully cooked
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can white beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- optional: chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just softened. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans and spinach and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Serve immediately, topped with chopped parsley if desired.