This Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Recipe is just perfection. It is very flavorful and makes for the perfect easy dinner recipe to put together that everyone will love. It is low in carbs, gluten-free, and so delicious.
Enjoy tender and juicy chicken with each bite when you make this cheesy chicken and mushroom recipe. All made in one pan and perfect for a weeknight dinner that the kids will also enjoy. Serve it with some roasted veggies, some rice, or spaghetti. The chicken breasts are cooked in the pan first, then added back into the pan with the sauteed onions and mushrooms. Topped with Cheese and baked in the oven to finish cooking the chicken and allowing the cheese to melt. This simple and easy chicken breast recipe is perfect for those seeking low-carb meals and is on a keto diet. You may keep this a low-fat meal by using fat-free cheese. Either way, this chicken and mushroom recipe will be your go-to weekly dinner recipe.
Why this chicken breast recipe will be your go-to meal
- Very easy to make: This chicken and mushroom skillet recipe is easy to make and cooked in one pan. Ready in just about 30 minutes.
- Healthy and low in carbs: If you are doing the keto diet, this chicken breast recipe is perfect for you. A low-carb chicken dinner recipe that anyone can enjoy.
- So juicy and flavorful: The chicken is so tender and juicy. This whole meal is packed with flavor. You will love it.
Ingredients you will need and substitutes
- Chicken breasts: cut lengthways for an even thickness. You may use boneless and skinless chicken thighs or any other protein of choice.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder: if you only have fresh garlic cloves handy, you may use that instead.
- Seasonings: smoked paprika and Italian seasoning
- Olive oil: or any other oil of choice
- Mushrooms: if you don’t like mushrooms, use any other veggie like broccoli, zucchini, or any of your favorite vegetables.
- Yellow Onion: or sweet onions.
- Low sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Cheese: Shredded Monterey jack cheese or Mexican blend, or any cheese of choice, if you like, use fat-free cheese.
How to make this Easy Chicken and Mushroom recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, half of the garlic powder, and paprika on all sides.
Preheat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and sear the chicken until golden on both sides, for around 5 minutes in total. Set aside.
To the same skillet add the remaining oil. Sauté the mushrooms and onion, stirring frequently, for no more than 3-4 minutes.
Add in the Italian seasoning, chicken broth, remaining garlic powder, and tarragon, then return the chicken into the sauce.
Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and bake in the preheated oven until chicken is cooked through for about 8-10 minutes (and internal temp reads 165F) and cheese is melted.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. Mushrooms pair so well with chicken and can definitely be served together.
There are many ways to use mushrooms in your meals or as a side dish. Add them into soups, combined them with other veggies, and sautee them alone or with any other veggie or protein. It doesn’t take much to cook mushrooms in a pan with some herbs over medium heat. They are very versatile and make for a delicious side dish.
No. You do not need to boil the mushrooms first at all. You can just simply sautee or pan-fry them with a bit of oil and your favorite herbs.
What to serve with this chicken dish
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Zucchini Noodles
- Baked Zucchini Chips
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Easy Zucchini Casserole
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Healthy Mashed Potato
- Crispy Oven-baked Asparagus
More easy and healthy recipes that you may like
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Grilled Chicken Kale Caesar Salad
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Easy Chicken Chili
- Almond Crusted Crispy Chicken Breast
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Salmon
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken breasts cut lengthways for an even thickness
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 11/2 tsp garlic powder divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 8 oz mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese or Mexican blend
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, half of the garlic powder, and paprika on all sides.
- Preheat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and sear the chicken until golden on both sides, for around 5 -6 minutes in total. Set aside.
- To the same skillet add the remaining oil. Sauté the mushrooms and onion, stirring frequently, for no more than 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the Italian seasoning, chicken broth, remaining garlic powder, and tarragon, then return the chicken into the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and bake in the preheated oven until chicken is cooked through for 8-10 minutes or until an internal temp reads 165F, and cheese is melted.
- Use boneless and skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. We would rather use chicken breast because they are leaner and healthier.
- You may add in any other veggies of choice if you do not like mushrooms, swap them with broccoli or zucchini.
- Any cheese that you have handy will work too.
- If you do not have chicken broth, use vegetable broth