This juicy and tender Honey Mustard Chicken breast recipe is easy to make and full of flavor! A quick and healthy chicken recipe to serve your family for lunch or dinner with perfectly balanced flavors. A decadent meal that everyone will love, and it’s ready in just over 30 minutes!
This honey mustard chicken dish is a succulent and flavorful chicken recipe that’s made with honey, dijon mustard, and whole grain mustard, a combination of spices, and baked to perfection. The homemade honey mustard marinade is so easy to make that’s then smothered over the chicken breast and baked to perfection.
Baked chicken recipes can get to be boring, but this baked honey mustard chicken is anything but! It’s packed with flavor, and the marinade helps to ensure the chicken comes out perfectly moist every time.
Also, for a complete meal option in the same dish, you can even add some potatoes and veggies. This easy-baked chicken recipe will be a family favorite for years to come! Especially because it’s so easy to prepare!
Why this honey mustard baked chicken breast recipe is the best
- Healthy: This baked honey mustard chicken is a healthy low carb chicken recipe that’s made with healthy and clean ingredients. You can be rest assured that this is a perfectly healthy recipe to enjoy with the family.
- Easy: It is very easy to put this recipe together. It takes just a few minutes to mix the marinade, brown the chicken on your stovetop, and then pop the chicken into the oven. This is an ideal recipe for those super busy weeknights.
- Delicious: The flavors in this chicken dish will blow your mind away. If you like dipping your chicken tenders in honey mustard, this easy chicken recipe takes that to the next level with flavors that will elevate your palate! It is definitely a family favorite.
- Versatile: I like using some sriracha to give this honey mustard marinade a little kick. However, you can adjust the amount to your liking. Don’t like a lot of heat? Scale back the sriracha a bit. Or even add more if you like spice!
Ingredients for easy honey mustard chicken recipe
- Chicken breasts: I always opt to use boneless and skinless breasts for this honey mustard chicken. A lot of recipes use thighs, but I like the leaner versatility of a chicken breast.
- Spices: We use a mix of spices here including: paprika, mustard seed, ground mustard seed, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. These flavors all pair so well together and also help to complement the honey mustard.
- Olive oil: A great neutral vegetable oil that can be used at high temperatures, high quality olive oil has natural aromatic flavors that are robust and so delicious.
- Honey: The sweet portion of this sweet and savory chicken recipe comes from the honey. It’s a natural sugar, not too sweet and also has an excellent flavor.
- Chicken stock: Just a few tablespoons of chicken stock gets added to the marinade. This helps to keep the chicken moist while baking. You can also use vegetable stock if you have it.
- Mustard: We are going to be using two mustard in this chicken recipe to really take it to the next level: Dijon and whole grain. While providing an excellent flavor, the whole grain mustard also provides some texture to our honey mustard chicken breasts.
- White vinegar: In addition to the tang from the mustards, white vinegar provides an additional tanginess. You could also use apple cider vinegar here.
- Sriracha sauce: I like a little bit of spice to my honey mustard chicken recipe, so I add a touch of sriracha. You can absolutely adjust this to your taste buds, or omit it all together if you’re not of fan of the heat.
- Thyme: A small handful of fresh thyme really finishes this dish off. It provides some color to garnish and top off your baked chicken.
How to make this baked chicken breast with honey mustard
- Season the chicken: First, combine all the spices and rub the chicken thoroughly on all sides. Rubbing it into the chicken really ensures you’re getting the maximum flavor.
- Make the marinade: Next, in a small bowl combine all the mustard sauce ingredients.
- Brown the chicken: Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the oil, and sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the chicken: Next, transfer the chicken to an oven-safe dish and pour over the mustard sauce. Bake until cooked through, about 15-25 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts). The internal temperature of each chicken breast should read 165F.
- Garnish: Finally, garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
frequently asked questions
You do not need to cover the chicken while it is baking. This seems to be a personal preference for some but really not necessary. We personally prefer leaving the chicken uncovered until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Depending on the oven, the best and safest temperature to bake the chicken is 375-400 °F. High temperatures help seal in the juices and flavor while allowing the chicken to cook undisturbed for a good 20 minutes. The best way to check if the chicken is done is to check with a food thermometer.
Tips and substitutions for baked honey mustard chicken
- We prefer using chicken breast, but you may use boneless and skinless thighs. You can swap the chicken with seafood if you prefer. Salmon or white fish will work well.
- If you don’t have any chicken stock on hand, vegetable stock, or water will work as well.
- You can really use any oil that you prefer, it doesn’t have to be olive oil. Avocado or grapeseed oil will be good too.
- Maple syrup would be a good option as a substitute for the honey, just know the flavor will change slightly.
- Place leftovers in a container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave when ready to eat. Also, you can freeze for up to 3 months.
- Serve with zoodles, pasta, potatoes, rice, quinoa, or top over salad
What to serve with mustard chicken breast recipe
- Baked parmesan potato wedges
- Cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Garlic Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Smoked Sweet Potatoes
Othe healthy and easy chicken recipes
- Easy Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Bowl
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Marinated Chicken
- Balsamic Chicken Breast
- Chicken Caeser Wrap
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Also, we would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Honey Mustard Chicken
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts 4 oz each
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp chicken stock
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce or to taste
- a small handful of fresh thyme to garnish
- Combine all the spices and rub the chicken thoroughly on all sides.
- In a small bowl combine all the mustard sauce ingredients.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the oil and sear the chicken on both sides for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe dish and pour over the mustard sauce. Bake until cooked through, about 15-25 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts).
- The internal temperature of each chicken breast should read 165F.
- Chicken: We prefer using chicken breast, but you may use boneless and skinless thighs. You can swap the chicken with seafood if you prefer. Salmon or white fish will work well.
- Chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water will work
- Oil: use any oil. Avocado or grapeseed oil will be good too.
- Honey: maple syrup will be a good option as a substitute.