Delicious & easy Berries Cottage Cheese Ice cream made with just 4 simple ingredients! Enjoy this high-protein, healthier take on traditional ice cream with this recipe using just frozen fruit, cottage cheese and honey or maple syrup. It’s the ultimate summer dessert!
If you haven’t tried cottage cheese ice cream, you’re in for a real treat! You only need 4 simple ingredients and a blender or food processor to make this recipe. It turns out deliciously creamy, thick, and packed with nutrients!
Sound too good to be true? It’s not! This frozen treat will satisfy those ice cream cravings with healthy, good-for-you ingredients!
Why you should make this recipe
- Healthy: This ice cream recipe is low in calories and fat and is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the fruit and cottage cheese. It’s a guilt-free snack that you can feel good about enjoying!
- Easy to make: You only need about 10 minutes of prep time to whip this up! Add all of the ingredients to your blender, blend, and then let the freezer do the rest of the work.
- Delicious: Don’t worry if you’re not a fan of cottage cheese, you can’t taste it at all. This turns out perfectly cold and creamy with incredible fruity flavor.
- Customizable: Get creative and add any favorite toppings or fold in different ingredients. For example, you can make this extra indulgent by stirring in chunks of brownies or cookie crumbles.
All you’ll need to make this cottage cheese ice cream recipe is four simple ingredients and a blender or food processor. Here’s the list:
- Frozen berries: Using frozen berries will make the ice cream thick and creamy.
- Banana: For extra sweetness, be sure to use extra ripe bananas.
- Cottage cheese: For the best taste and texture choose a good quality cottage cheese with a mild flavor. Full-fat cottage cheese will also make for a richer, creamier end result.
- Sweetener: Feel free to use honey or maple syrup to naturally sweeten the ice cream.
How to make this recipe
Grab your blender or food processor and let’s make a healthy frozen treat! Here’s the simple process:
- Add ingredients: In a high-powered food processor or blender, add the frozen berries, banana, cottage cheese, and honey or maple syrup.
- Combine: Blend or puree until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Freeze: Pour the mixture into a loaf pan, top with more fresh fruit or frozen fruit, if desired, and freeze until hard enough to scoop. About 4-6 hours.
- Serve: Scoop 2 scoops into a bowl, top with any toppings of your choice, and enjoy.
- You can use fresh or frozen bananas for this recipe. Frozen bananas will give you a thicker, creamier consistency.
- Be sure to blend the ingredients very well and until completely smooth. You don’t want any clumps or chunks in your ice cream!
- After freezing, the ice cream will be easier to serve if you let it thaw for 5-10 minutes before scooping.
Frequently asked questions
This particular recipe for cottage cheese ice cream is very nutritious! It’s made with fresh fruit, protein-packed cottage cheese and naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup. It’s low in fat and calories and contains plenty of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. To ensure you’re making a healthy cottage cheese ice cream recipe, avoid adding sugary mix-ins.
This recipe makes 4 servings and each serving has 6 grams of protein, which is a great amount for dessert. You can increase the protein a bit by adding a topping of chopped nuts or nut butter.
With this simple recipe, there is no need to use an ice cream churn. To blend the cottage cheese frozen fruit mixture, you’ll just need to use a high-powered blender or food processor.
- In a bowl: Keep things simple and add a few scoops to a bowl with your favorite toppings.
- In a cone: Skip the spoon and scoop the ice cream into an ice cream cone.
- Toppings: Add fun toppings, like fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, chopped nuts, granola, shredded coconut, cookie crumbs, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, or a drizzle of chocolate fudge sauce. See some more ideas below!
- Ice cream sandwich: Place a scoop of the ice cream between two cookies for a new spin on this dessert.
- Use different fruit: We love mixed berries and bananas, but any frozen fruit would be delicious. Instead of frozen mixed berries, you could even just use frozen strawberries.
- Add nuts: Once blended, fold in your favorite chopped nuts before freezing. Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, or pecans will add a nice crunch to this treat.
- Mix in extracts: To change up the flavor, feel free to mix in about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or almond extract.
Once the cottage cheese ice cream has frozen in the loaf pan, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer. It will have the best texture and flavor if enjoyed within about 1 week. However, it will keep for up to about 1 to 2 months.
More healthy dessert recipes
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Dough Fudge
- No-Bake Brownie Protein Bites
- Almond Butter Fudge
- Oatmeal Cookie Dough Bites
- Peanut Butter Brownie Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Strawberry Muffins
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Also, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Berries Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen berries of your choice
- 1/2 cup ripe sliced banana (or you may use 1 small frozen banana, diced)
- 1 cup cottage cheese low fat, or lactose-free- which is less salty
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- In a high-powered food processor or blender, add the frozen berries, banana, cottage cheese, and honey or maple syrup.
- Blend or puree until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan, top with more fresh fruit or frozen fruit, if desired, and freeze until hard enough to scoop. About 4-6 hours.
- Scoop 2 scoops into a bowl, top with any toppings of your choice, and serve.