This Zucchini Lasagna Casserole recipe is a great low carb lasagna recipe made with zucchini instead of pasta for a healthier option. Filling, easy to make, so tasty, and keto-friendly. Makes for a delicious lunch or dinner recipe and perfect for those who meal prep.
Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Casserole Recipe
This guilt-free Zucchini lasagna recipe is super easy to make and very scrumptious. It is made with lean ground beef and a thick tomato base. A recipe the whole family will enjoy. It is cheesy and high in fat and protein for those who are on a low carb and keto diet. A delicious twist to the traditional lasagna recipe that’s healthy and always comforting.
How do you get the water out of Zucchini Lasagna?
If the bits of water that drains out of the zucchini lasagna bothers you and would rather have less water in your lasagna, after slicing the zucchinis, sprinkle with some salt and let it sit for 10 minutes. This will allow the water from zucchini to bleed out and then drain. Use a paper towel to blot dry and remove excess water. I personally skip this because I feel it makes the lasagna somewhat juicier but some don’t like this.
Do you rinse zucchini after salting?
It is not necessary to rinse your salted and drained zucchini. This is because you don’t need a lot of salt, to begin with when you salt the zucchini slices. Only a few sprinkles. Once you blot them dry you will be removing most of it.
Should I cover the lasagna with foil while baking?
Covering lasagna is only necessary to prevent the cheese at the top from over-browning too fast before the lasagna cooking through. You can cover it for half of the time when you first place in the oven and uncover it for the remaining 20 minutes to allow the cheese to brown. I didn’t cover this zucchini lasagna while it was baking because I place in the middle rack and kept an eye on it.
Making this Zucchini Lasagna recipe?
Did you try this zucchini lasagna recipe or plan on making it? Please take a minute out of your time to come back and leave me some feedback. I really appreciate it when you rate my recipes. If you happen to take pics of any of my recipes please tag me on Instagram. It’s usually the highlight of my day.
Here are a few other low carb recipes to try out:
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Zucchini Enchilada Roll-Ups
- Baked Zoodle Egg Nests
- Burrito Zucchini Boats
- Shrimp Scampi Zoodles
- Zucchini Lasagna Boats
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Zucchini Lasagna Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Some Substitutes for this Zucchini Lasagna recipe:
- Zucchini: I used mostly green zucchini. You can use a combo of green and yellow. If you feel like using some eggplants in the mix as well you can. But make sure you slice the eggplants thin so they cook evenly.
- Cheese: Feel free to use low fat or any other fat-free cheese
- Meat: I used lean ground beef. You can sub with ground turkey or keep it meatless and add more veggies.
Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Casserole
- 3 Medium Zucchini
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Sweet Onion diced
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 2 Cups Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1½ Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add in ground beef and continue to cook until it's no longer pink about 5 minutes, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and smoked paprika. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the zucchini. Cut the ends, then slice them on lengthways into 1/4 inch thick strips.
- Add one layer of zucchini slices to a 9-inch oval baking dish (or similar). Top with meat sauce, then a layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Repeat the process, finishing with the cheese layer. Sprinkle with ground parmesan cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.