We love how tasty and easy to make this Sun-dried tomatoes and cheese stuffed chicken breast recipe is. Enjoy tender and juicy chicken with each bite when you make this simple and healthy chicken breast recipe.
We have so many delicious stuffed chicken breast recipes that we will be sharing with your further down this post. But first, let’s talk about this easy and healthy tomato and cheese stuffed chicken breast. First, the chicken breasts are first sliced and stuffed with a mixture of feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes. Then, the stuffed chicken breasts are cooked on the stovetop using a skillet in a tasty herbed sauce. No need to bake these stuffed chicken breasts and they will be ready in less than an hour. Serve tender and juicy chicken for dinner any day of the week with your favorite side dish recipe.
Why you will love this stuffed chicken recipe
- Simple and easy: It is a super easy and simple recipe to put together. It doe;st require a ton of steps and not complicated at all.
- Healthy: Made with healthy ingredients, thic stuffed chicken breast recipe is low in carbs, high in protein, and a perfectly healthy meal to enjoy without tons of greese and calories.
- Family-friendly: This easy and tasty stuffed chicken breast recipe will be loved by everyone. Something you would want to serve for the entire family.
- Delicious: you will enjoy juicy and tender chicken with each bite you take from this cheesey stuffed chicken. It is so tasty and will quickly become a go-to chicken dinner recipe.
Ingredients you will need
Below is just a list of ingredients and substitutes you will need to use to make this healthy cheese stuffed chicken breast recipe. Full measurements will be listed further down below.
- Chicken breasts: use boneless and skinless chicken breasts. Chicken thighs wont work.
- Herbs: we use salt, pepper, and herbs de provence. You can use any of your favorite herbs like Italian seasoning. Herb de Provence is just a combination of the herbs rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: there are two kinds. We prefer that you use the sun-dried tomatoes thats in oil and not the ones that are in packets. Either one you use is fine essentially but if you can use the one packed in oil.
- Feta cheese: you can use store-bought crumbles feta cheesee
- Shredded mozzarella: You can use light
- Shallots: you may use cooking or white sweet onions. Use what you already have.
- Wine vinegar: white or red wine. Also, Grape seed vinegar works.
- Flour: we used gluten-free but you may use any other flour of choice.
- Stock: Go with chicken stock, or you can use vegetable stock
- Basil leaves: we used this to granish so its optional.
How to make this stuffed chicken breast
Cut a lengthways pocket to each chicken breast. Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and seasonings on both sides and into the pocket too.
Stuff the pockets with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and mozzarella. Seal each with a toothpick.
Heat the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the stuffed chicken and sear until golden on both sides, about 6-8 minutes in total. Set aside on a plate.
To the same skillet, add the shallots and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add in the wine vinegar, flour, and whisk for a bit. Pour the stock little by little, whisking after each addition to incorporate and form a thick sauce. Season to taste.
Return the chicken to the pan and into the sauce, and spoon the sauce over.
Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 12-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the internal temp shows 165F. Garnish with basil and serve warm.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. You sure can. You will need to slice the chicken fillet in half lengthwise right in the middle. Lay it out flat and then add whatever you ate stuffing it with. Close the chicken breast with a toothpick before cooking or baking.
The best way to check if the chicken is done cooking is to check the internal temperature of the chicken using a food thermometer. Stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. If you do not have a thermometer, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast and where you are cooking it, it will need about 20-30 minutes.
To stuff chicken breast, you have to first make pockets in the chicken breast where you will be stuffing it with whatever you are using for the stuffing. You will need to lay the chicken breast on a flat surface, using your left palm, press down on the chicken breast, and using your right arm start slicing through the middle lengthwise using a knife. Do not slice all the way through. Just about 3/4th of the way. Flip it open, stuff the chicken, and then close it back up using a couple of toothpicks.
What to serve with this healthy stuffed chicken breast
- Cheesey Cauliflower Bake
- Garlic Roasted Broccolini
- Herb Roasted Red Potatoes
- Roasted Honey Glazed Carrots
- Easy Potato Au Gratin
- Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- Garlic Butter Mashed Cauliflower
More stuffed chicken breasts recipes you may like
- Fajita Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Tuscan Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence or italian seasoning.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil separated from the oil, and sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 shallots diced
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp GF flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Cut a lengthways pocket to each chicken breast.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and seasonings on both sides and into the pocket too.
- Stuff the pockets with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and mozzarella. Seal each with a toothpick.
- Heat the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the stuffed chicken and sear until golden on both sides, about 6-8 minutes in total. Set aside on a plate.
- To the same skillet, add the shallots and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the wine vinegar, flour, and whisk for a bit. Pour the stock little by little, whisking after each addition to incorporate and form a thick sauce. Season to taste.
- Return the chicken to the pan and into the sauce, and spoon the sauce over.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 12-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the internal temp shows 165F.
- Garnish with basil and serve warm.
- Serving size: one chicken breast
- Herbs: for the chicken, you can use any herbs you prefer. Italian seasoning will work just as well.
- Do use boneless and skinless chicken breast
- For gluten-free allergies, do use GF flour.
- Stock: If you don’t have chicken stock, you can use vegetable stock
- Best to use sun-dried tomatoes in oil.