Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken is such a popular and easy dinner recipe. This chicken has a delicious cheesy spinach filling and is baked until tender and juicy. It’s delicious and less than 350 calories! A perfect chicken dinner recipe that’s low carb and keto-friendly.
When it comes to a hearty, healthy and delicious weeknight meal, you can’t go wrong with Cheese Stuffed Chicken! Perfectly marinated chicken is loaded with a creamy ricotta filling and popped into the oven. This can’t be easier!
Why this Cheese Stuffed Chicken is so good
- A Delicious Filling: Spinach is mixed with creamy ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella combine for a melty, cheesy, heavenly filling!
- Easy: This looks like it’s restaurant quality, but it really couldn’t be easier. Cut, stuff, and bake – easy!
- Healthy: Only 330 calories per serving, pack literally packed with flavor.
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless and skinless. Ideally, go for organic/free-range.
- Seasoning: Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Red Pepper Flakes: To your taste.
- Cheese: A mix of ricotta, mozzarella, and cheddar. Ideally, shred your own as pre-shredded doesn’t melt as well.
- Olive Oil
- Spinach: Steamed until just wilted, then squeezed dry with paper.
- Garlic: Freshly minced is best.
- Salt: Divided
How to make this Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Make the Marinade: In a small bowl, mix olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic
powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Cut the Chicken: Using a sharp, cut a pocket in the chicken, don’t cut all the way through. Then rub with marinade and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make the Filling: Mix ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese,
spinach, and garlic.
- Cook: Stuff the filling into the chicken and bake for 25 mins.
Cheese Stuffed Chicken – A healthy, low carb meal
This is delicious, healthy, and perfect for keto. So, low in carbs and high in fat with little protein. Less than 330 calories per serving. The spinach is a great way to get some potassium in too!
Serve up with a nice side salad or steamed vegetables, asparagus would work beautifully.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Fresh spinach is always great, but of course, you can use frozen. If you’re using frozen spinach, thaw it thoroughly first and take up a handful and squeeze out the water before mixing it with the cream cheese. If you’re using fresh spinach, cook it first.
What’s the best way to stuff a chicken?
I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Lay them flat on a cutting board. Then cut a pocket parallel to the cutting board, that remains connected on three sides.
You can either stuff the chicken and lock the fillings in, by closing the chicken with a toothpick. Or you can stuff the chicken and turn it upward, almost like a bowl, so the fillings are on top.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- You can use fresh or frozen spinach, just make sure to drain off the water.
- Try different cheese if you like, but keep them melty! Swiss would work as well as feta.
- Allow your chicken to marinate in the fridge, an hour is good, but you can take it out quicker.
- An instant-read thermometer is your best bet for determining the temperature of your chicken. 165 degrees Fahrenheit is the safe internal temperature.
Check out these other delicious chicken recipes
- Easy Butter Chicken
- Air fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Keto Chicken Fajita Wraps
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Greek Chicken Bake
- Mediterranean Chicken
Tried and loved some of our recipes? Please rate it and leave us some feedback in the comment section below and don’t forget to share it with friends and family! Tag us on Instagram for a feature of your remake.
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive all my new recipes like this Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes or to your taste
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt divided
- 4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 4 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 4 ounces Grated Mozzarella
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1½ cups Chopped Fresh Spinach steamed just until wilted, squeezed dry with paper towels and chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease 9×13 baking dish with some oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 tsp. of salt, mix well and set aside.
- Place a chicken breast on a cutting board and carefully insert the tip of a sharp knife into the thickest part of the chicken breast. Cut an opening about 4 inches wide to create a pocket without cutting all the way through.
- Pour the prepared rub all over the chicken and using your clean hands generously rub on all sides and inside of the pocket. Refrigerate and let marinate until ready to use.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the cheese filling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, spinach, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then mix until well combined.
- Remove the chicken breast from the refrigerator and stuff each breast with the cheese mixture. Secure the pockets with a toothpick, if needed.
- Place the stuffed breast into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes until chicken is nicely golden brown, flipping halfway through to ensure even browning. Alternatively, you can cook it on the stovetop.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve warm. Enjoy!