This easy and simple vegetarian pasta salad comes together in no time. Loaded with veggies and tossed in a delicious Italian vinaigrette dressing. The perfect way to use up all the veggies in your fridge and make a delicious and nutritious meal.
There are so many pasta salad ideas out there but cold pasta salads are my favorite! They can be made ahead and stored in the fridge until you are ready. Especially if you are having a potluck! They come together in no time and the perfect way to use up some of those veggies in your fridge.
HOW TO MAKE THE EASIEST PASTA SALAD
Making a pasta salad is as easy as boiling some water to cook the pasta and tossing in a few ingredients into the mix along with a great dressing. There are tricks to getting the pasta just right for any pasta salad recipe.
Once the pasta is ready, place in a bowl, then add in some cut up some veggies (make sure they about the same size), and cheese if using. Pour the dressing over the pasta and veggies, place in the fridge and allow to chill for about 30 minutes before serving.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PASTA SALAD DRESSING
Here are the ingredients you will need to make a delicious healthy pasta salad dressing. It is also perfect to use on other salads if you end up with leftovers.
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp raw honey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Toss all the ingredients together and set aside until its time to pour over salad.
WHAT GOES IN PASTA SALAD
What goes into your pasta salad will have to be what you are in the mood to make because there are just so many easy pasta recipes out there. Will you be keeping it vegetarian? Are you adding some protein like tuna or shredded chicken?
Here are some main ingredients to consider and keep in mind:
- Pasta: This ingredient is a no brainer here. Your choice would have to be the type of pasta you use. Use any shape you like. Whole grain or white pasta? There are even healthier options like lentil pasta but I havent tried this one yet in a pasta salad.
- Veggies: Veggie options are endless, so I say add in whatever you like or whatever vegetables you have in your fridge. Here are some options for you: cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, onions, peppers, olives, broccoli, and so on.
- Meats: For those who aren’t vegans or vegetarians, they may want some added protein for a well-balanced meal. Cold meats will do best. Try some salami, ham or turkey. Tuna works really well and my personal favorite is some shredded chicken.
- Dressing: Make homemade dressing to avoid all the added sugars in store-bought dressings.
HOW LONG DOES PASTA SALAD LAST
Pasta salads last up to 5-7 days in the fridge even when mixed. They taste even better the next day after they have absorbed all the dressing. If your pasta salad seems dry a bit, you may adjust the taste or add some more pressing.
CAN YOU FREEZE PASTA SALAD
I personally don’t like freezing pasta salad. But you can if you prefer to do so. Make sure you divide them up in either small containers or smaller good grade Ziploc baggies before placing them in the fridge.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PASTA SALAD
Pasta salads are used as side dishes or as appetizers. They are just perfectly delicious on their own. Some great additions to pasts salads would be some roasted veggies, cheese, cold cuts, or some grilled chicken or meat.
Making this easy vegetarian pasta salad recipe?
I would love to get some feedback from you if you make this super veggie pasta salad. Leave me a comment below and don’t forget to rate it if you loved it. Please tag me on Instagram so I can see the recipes you create from #healthyfitnessmeals.
Other easy salad recipes to check out:
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad Recipe
- Citrus Cajun Shrimp Salad
- Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Vegetarian Pasta Salad Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Vegetarian Pasta Salad
- 1 lb Whole Wheat Short Pasta
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes halved
- 1 English Cucumber diced
- 1½ Cups Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Cup Olives sliced
- ½ Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Raw Honey
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- ⅓ Cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add in pasta and cook according to package instructions to al dente.
- Drain and set aside in a large bowl. Add in tomatoes, cabbage, bell pepper, olives, cucumber, and parmesan.
- In a small bowl whisk all dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Pour dressing over and gently toss to evenly coat. Enjoy!
- Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Preparing the Pasta: After you cook the pasta, drain and rince with cold water to prevent the pasta from sticking together. You may even leave the pasta in a slight iced water bath for a few minutes. Drain and add just a bit of olive oil. Toss, and start making your salad.
- Pasta: use any shape pasta of your choice. You may use any kind of pasta as well. I love using whole wheat.
- Veggies: Add in any veggies you prefer. Tastes great with celery as well.