You’ll love this Mason Jar salad because it’s super easy to make and perfect for busy days. The combination of fresh veggies, chickpeas, and feta cheese in a homemade Greek dressing makes it a delicious and nutritious option.
Eating healthy lunches has never been easier thanks to this Salad Jar! The addition of chickpeas means that it is already full of protein and fiber, but you can kick up the protein by adding Pesto Shrimp, Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers, Grilled Honey Lemon Shrimp, or Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken.
Making a salad in a mason jar stays fresh all week, making it a convenient choice for quick and tasty lunches or side dishes.
Why you will love this recipe
- Easy Meal Prep: This Greek-style Salad is a breeze to prepare, thanks to simple ingredients and straightforward instructions.
- Mason Jar Convenience: The use of mason jars ensures easy storage and portability, making it a perfect grab-and-go option for lunches.
- Week-Long Freshness: The mason jar salads stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, providing a solution for hassle-free, week-long meal planning.
- Customizable Toppings: Feel free to adjust the ingredients based on personal preferences, making it a versatile recipe that suits different tastes.
One thing I love about these mason jar salads is how customizable they are! Switch out any of the ingredients for others that you prefer and it will still be just as delicious! Here’s what I used to make it:
- English Cucumber: Leave the skin on for added texture and nutrients.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Opt for ripe cherry tomatoes and chop them into smaller pieces.
- Yellow or Green Pepper: Use whichever bell pepper you prefer and dice it for a colorful and crunchy element.
- Red Onion: Dice the onion finely for a mild onion flavor.
- Kalamata Olives: Include sliced Kalamata olives for a salty and tangy kick. Be sure to drain them before adding to the salad.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans): Use canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed. They add protein and a hearty texture.
- Romaine Lettuce: You can also use any other leafy greens you prefer.
- Feta Cheese: Crumbled feta cheese adds a creamy and tangy flavor.
Greek Dressing ingredients
The Homemade Greek Dressing is made with oregano, basil, red wine vinegar, garlic, honey dijon mustard, avocado oil (or olive oil), salt, and pepper.
How to make this Salad Meal prep Jar
Prepare the Greek Dressing: Combine oregano, basil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, honey Dijon mustard, and avocado or olive oil in a small bowl. Mix well.
Set Up Mason Jars: Fill each of the 4 quart-sized or 32 oz mason jars with the prepared dressing. Distribute approximately 3 tablespoons of dressing into each jar.
Layer the Salad Ingredients: In each jar, add the diced cucumber, red onions, yellow or green peppers, chickpeas, Kalamata olives, tomatoes, feta cheese, and finally, the chopped Romaine lettuce.
Seal the Mason Jars: Close the mason jars tightly with their lids to ensure freshness. Store them in the fridge for up to 5 days until ready to serve.
Optional Protein Addition: For added protein, consider including some chopped grilled chicken or shredded Rotisserie chicken.
To Serve: Invert the jar upside down into a small bowl, empty the salad, toss, adjust the taste if needed, and enjoy your delicious and convenient Greek Salad.
- When assembling the mason jar salads, follow the specified order of ingredients. Placing wet ingredients like dressing, cucumber, and tomatoes at the bottom creates a barrier, preventing the greens from becoming soggy over the week.
- As you layer the ingredients, pack them tightly without leaving much air in the jar. This minimizes the potential for oxidation and helps maintain the freshness of the salad.
- Consider adding grilled chicken or shredded Rotisserie chicken for a more substantial and protein-packed meal.
- Place the jars in the refrigerator’s main section rather than the door. The more consistent temperature in the main section helps maintain the freshness of the salad ingredients.
Frequently asked questions
Follow the layering order, placing wet ingredients at the bottom. This creates a barrier and helps maintain the crispness of the greens.
While mason jars are convenient, you can use other airtight containers. Just ensure they provide a secure seal to keep the salad fresh.
No, it’s best to keep the salad layered until you’re ready to eat. Toss the ingredients in a bowl just before serving.
This dish is already a complete meal in one, but you can add meat to it to make it even more filling! Here are some of our faves to try:
- Balsamic and Pesto Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Honey Lemon Shrimp
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken
- Easy Pesto Shrimp Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Kafta
I love to make this meal prep salad at the beginning of the week so I can have easy lunches all week long. Here’s how to store it so it will last the longest:
- Refrigerate: After assembling the mason jar salads, store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This ensures the freshness of the ingredients throughout the week.
- Freeze: It’s not recommended to freeze the mason jar salads, as freezing can affect the texture of fresh vegetables and greens.
More Meal Prep recipes
- Beef Burrito Meal Prep Bowl
- Chicken Taco Meal Prep Bowl
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep Bowls Recipe
- Garlic Lime Shrimp Meal Prep With Cilantro Lime Rice
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Mason Jar Salad
- Mason Jar
For the Salad Jar
- 2 cups diced English cucumber one large or 2 medium
- 1 pack cherry tomato chopped, about 1 ¼ cup
- 1 yellow bell pepper or green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion diced, about ½ cup
- ½ cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 can Chickpeas garbanzo beans, 15.5 oz, drained
- 2 Romaine lettuce chopped, about 6 cups
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese 4 tablespoons
- 4 Mason Jars with lid, quart size or 32 oz
For the Dressing
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the Greek dressing, add all the dressing ingredients into and small bowl and mix to combine. Set the bowl aside.
- Set up and line up 4 Mason jars. Divide the dressing into 4 jars. It should be about 3 tablespoons each. Then add the diced cucumber, red onions, yellow or green peppers, chickpeas, kalamata olives, tomatoes, feta cheese, and finally add the romaine lettuce.
- Close the mason jars with lids and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days until ready to serve.
- you may add in some chopped grilled chicken or shredded Rotisserie chicken for some added protein.
- To serve: invert the jar upside down into a small bowl. Empty the salad into the bowl, toss, adjust the taste if needed, and serve.