Flavorful Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken is easy to prepare, healthy, and oh-so-delicious! Chicken breasts are marinated in a sweet and smoky honey-chipotle sauce and then grilled to juicy and tender perfection. An everyday recipe that’s perfect for summer meals!
This Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken is a must if you’re craving a meal that is rich with flavor, simple to make, and loaded with protein.
A sweet and smoky marinade is mixed together with chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, honey, and a few other pantry staples. Then, the chicken breasts marinate for at least an hour before grilling them until they’re perfectly juicy and tender. This is one of those dishes you’re going to want to make all summer long and beyond!
Why you should make this recipe
- Loaded with flavor: The tender chicken absorbs the honey chipotle marinade and makes it super juicy and flavorful. Serve it with your choice of sides or over a salad for a complete meal.
- Packed with protein: Chicken breasts are loaded with healthy lean protein. They’re also rich in a variety of many vitamins and minerals.
- So easy to make: Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or just need a quick dinner option, this honey chipotle chicken is super tasty and simple to make. You’ll only need about 15 minutes of hands-on time!
- Perfect for meal prep: You will love this recipe for meal prep! Just double or triple the recipe so you can have lunch or dinner covered for a few days.
- For the marinade: For the perfect balance of sweet and smoky flavor, we’re combining 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, honey, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Chicken: We typically use boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, however, the marinade would work on drumsticks and chicken thighs too.
- For serving: Serve with lime wedges and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley for color and freshness.
How to make this grilled chicken breast recipe
- Make the marinade: In a small food processor combine the 2 chipotle chilies with honey, vinegar, oil, coconut aminos, and seasonings. Process until almost smooth.
- Marinate chicken: Pour the chipotle mixture over the raw chicken breast, and stir to coat. Marinate for 1 hour or overnight, in the fridge. Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge, 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Grill the chicken: Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the chicken breast until nicely charred and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Choose chicken breasts that are all about the same size and shape, so that they’ll cook at the same rate. We recommend avoiding overly thick chicken breasts because they will take much longer to cook.
- Get a head start on this meal and make the marinade up to one day before you plan to use it. You can also marinate the chicken overnight, so it’s ready to cook the next day.
- To have chicken ready to use throughout the week, double the recipe and use the leftovers in other dishes, from salads to pasta, or with some rice and veggies.
Frequently asked questions
Chicken breast needs to grill for about 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until it is cooked through and the thickest center registers 165ºF. The grill time will depend on how hot your grill is and the size of your chicken breasts. A medium-sized (4-ounce) chicken breast will typically need to cook for 10 to 12 minutes in total. A larger breast (6-8 ounces) can take 20 minutes or longer to be cooked through.
The most precise way to tell if your chicken is done is to use a meat thermometer to test the thickest part of the breast. The thermometer should read at least 165 degrees F. If you don’t have a thermometer, poke the chicken in the thickest part and if the juices run clear, the chicken is fully cooked. If the juices are red or have a pinkish color, your chicken may need to be cooked a bit longer.
Yes, if your grill has a cover or lid, always cook your chicken with the grill lid down. It will create a more oven-like environment, and the meat will cook more evenly.
Place leftovers in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag. They will keep in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze the chicken in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to about 3 months.
More chicken recipes to try
- Creamy Ranch Chicken Skillet
- Marry Me Chicken Skillet
- Lemon Chicken Breast
- Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Boneless BBQ Chicken Breast
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast
- Creamy Peri Peri Chicken
more recipes that you may like
- French Onion Chicken Skillet
- California Roll Sushi Bowl
- Garlic Chicken Meatball Meal Prep
- Honey Garlic Chicken Tenderloin Skillet
- Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- Honey Garlic Air Fryer Tofu
- Simple Pesto Pasta
- Classic Potato Pancake
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Don’t forget to rate the recipe, too! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken Breast
- In a small food processor combine the 2 chipotle chilies with honey, vinegar, oil, coconut aminos, and seasonings. Process until almost smooth.
- Pour the chipotle mixture over the raw chicken breast, and stir to coat. Marinate for 1 hour or overnight, in the fridge. Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge, 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the chicken breast until nicely charred and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.