This simple low-carb pizza crust recipe is made with only 4 simple ingredients, is keto-friendly, and is also gluten-free. So easy to make and the perfect weeknight dinner recipe everyone can enjoy without any guilt.
Love pizza but prefer making a low carb pizza crust? This is the best and most simple low-carb pizza crust recipe that doesn’t involve a lot of ingredients and is ready in just 30 minutes. Often referred to by some as “fathead pizza” dough/crust because of the high-fat content of the cheese and almond flour. The pizza dough is made with very few ingredients and is much easier than making traditional pizza crusts which are usually high in carbs. Enjoy this great recipe for homemade keto pizza with friends and family without worrying about all the carbs!
Bonus Recipe highlights
- Low carb and keto: made with almond flour, eggs, and cheese as the base, this pizza crust is going to be low in carbs, high in fat, and perfect for those who are on the keto diet.
- Delicious: You will not miss out on great-tasting pizza, this homemade low-carb pizza will satisfy all your pizza cravings.
- Takes only 30 minutes: With just a few minutes of prep time, this pizza dough takes just 15 minutes in the oven to bake.
Also known as “fathead” dough, here are the ingredients you will need to make this low-carb fathead pizza crust dough.
- 2 cups Grated Mozzarella Cheese: Grate your own or get store-bought
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal/Flour: do use almond flour and do not swap with coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons Cream Cheese: use any of your favorite cream cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Pizza Sauce: do use a low-carb keto-approved pizza sauce if you want to keep this recipe keto-friendly. You can also make your pizza sauce right at home.
- Optional toppings: thinly sliced mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, sliced olives, onions, veggies, fresh arugula or basil leaves, to serve.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB PIZZA
Here is the step-by-step process of how to make low-carb keto crust for pizza.
- Prep Oven and pan: Preheat oven to 350F and get a 32cm pizza tray/pan, or a large sheet pan to have it on hand.
- Make Dough: In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine 1 and 1/2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese with almond meal and cream cheese. Mix to combine and microwave for 1 minute, or until cheese is melted.
Immediately add in the egg and using a silicone spatula or your clean hands stir until everything comes together into a dough form. Compact the dough into a large ball.
- Spread dough: Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to a 1/4-inch thick circle. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and transfer the crust to the prepared pizza tray, sheet pan, or pizza stone.
Using a fork, poke a few times to prevent bubbling.
- Add Pizza toppings: Spread your low-carb pizza sauce all over the crust and top with remaining mozzarella cheese and other toppings of choice.
- Cook: Bake the pizza for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and the crust starts to brown.
- Garnish: Remove the pizza from the oven when done baking. Finally, garnish with fresh arugula or basil leaves, slice, and enjoy!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Fathead dough is a type of pizza dough used for those who are on a low-carb or keto diet. It is made of ingredients like mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, eggs, and some sort of low-carb flour like almond or coconut flour.
Fathead dough is primarily made of cheese which is why it tastes so good. When combined with almond flour and eggs, you magically form a low-carb pizza dough that will taste just like regular pizza dough without all the carbs. Keep in mind fathead doughs are high in fat and primarily great for those who are in low carb and keto-diet.
Yes. You can certainly make this “fathead” low-carb pizza dough ahead of time and freeze it until ready to use. Form a ball with the dough and it on plastic wrap. Wrap the entire dough with the plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw before rolling it out.
The quick answer to that is NO. Normal pizza is usually high in carbs. You can make a low pizza crust dough and make a low-carb pizza instead with keto-approved toppings.
Can you reheat fathead/low carb pizza?
Yes. You may reheat your low-carb pizza either in the oven or microwave. It may be easiest to pop in the microwave and reheat it for 20-30 seconds. You may also reheat in the oven which may cause it to overcook and get it to be on the dry side and crispier.
Recipe notes and tips
- Pizza base: to keep this pizza keto-approved, use a sugar-free or keto tomato/pizza sauce as the base. You may also make a pesto pizza base instead of tomato sauce by adding pesto as the base. Here is a homemade pesto sauce you can check out.
- You can expriment with different toppings eevery time you make this pizza.
- If your dough comes out a bit sticky, don’t worry it is an easy fix. Add one tablespoon of almond flour at a time while mixing until it is no longer sticky.
- You may bake the pizza dough base/crust first for 15 minutes, then add the pizza sauce and your toppings and add it back in the oven to bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top the pizza with any of your favorite cheeses and toppings.
some LOW-CARB pizza toppings
Wondering what are some low-carb pizza toppings you can add to your pizza to keep it keto? Here are a list of options to consider.
- Cheese: add more cheese if necessary, like fresh mozzarella, shredded parmesan, crumbled blue cheese, or crumbled feta cheese.
- Veggies: add any of your favorite veggies that are low in carbs like onions, bell peppers, olives, jalapenos, spinach or arugula.
- Meats: top your pizza with some more proteins like shredded chicken, buffalo chicken, mini meatballs, ground beef, pepperoni, ham, or turkey.
- Herbs: sprinkle some herbs over your pizza, like Italian seasoning, dried basil, fresh basil, dried parsley, or some crushed peppers.
More low carb recipes
- Easy Chili Salmon Zucchini Noodles
- Greek Zucchini Moussaka
- Keto Parmesan Everything Bagels
- Healthy Chicken Alfredo Zoodles
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Garlic Butter Mashed Cauliflower
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Low Carb Pizza dough Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Low Carb Pizza Crust
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling Pin
- Sheet pan or pizza pan
- 2 Cups Grated or Mozzarella divided
- ½ Cup Almond Flour (meal)
- 2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ Cup Pizza Sauce use a sugar-free keto-approved sauce if needed
- Thinly sliced mushrooms, sliced olives, Fresh arugula or basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375 F and get a 32cm pizza tray or a large sheet pan to have on hand.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 and 1/2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese with almond meal and cream cheese.
- Mix well and microwave for 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted. Immediately add in the egg and using a silicone spatula or your clean hands stir until everything comes together into a dough form.
- Compact the dough into a large ball. Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to a 1/4-inch thick circle.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper and transfer the crust to the prepared pizza tray. Using a fork, poke a few times to prevent bubbling.
- Spread pizza sauce all over the crust and top with remaining mozzarella cheese and other toppings of choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown on the sides.
- Once the pizza is done, remove it from the oven. Garnish with fresh arugula or basil leaves, slice and enjoy!
- Serving size: 2 Slices of Pizza
- You may bake the pizza crust first for 15 minutes, and then add the toppings and bake again for another 5 minutes.
- Add different toppings of your choice.
- Make sure you use a sugar-free pizza sauce to keep this pizza keto-friendly