Incredible Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken is easy to prepare with a homemade honey mustard marinade. Use this flavorful mix for baked or grilled chicken recipes to keep your meat juicy and delicious! Serve this dish with your favorite sides for the perfect weeknight dinner!
With an irresistible sweet and tangy flavor, this Honey Mustard Chicken will be your new favorite way to grill up dinner! This recipe is not only delicious, but it’s quick, easy, inexpensive and relatively healthy. The chicken only needs to marinate for about 15 minutes and you can use an inside grill pan or outside grill to make perfectly tender and juicy chicken breast every time!
Reasons to make this recipe
- Super flavorful: The tender chicken absorbs the honey mustard marinade and makes it super juicy and tasty. We love this served with grilled lemon garlic asparagus, potato salad, or over a salad for a complete meal.
- Packed with protein: Chicken breasts are loaded with healthy lean protein. They’re also rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals.
- So easy to make: Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or just need a quick dinner option, this honey mustard chicken is a crowd-pleaser and simple to make. You’ll only need about 15 minutes of hands-on time!
- Perfect for meal prep: Double or triple this recipe, and have chicken to pair with different sides throughout the week!
- Chicken: We typically use boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, however, the marinade would work on drumsticks and chicken thighs too.
- Seasonings: A blend of garlic powder, onion powder, Herbes de Provence, Kosher salt and black pepper add savory flavor.
- For the marinade: For the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavor, we’re combining honey, whole-grain Dijon mustard, and low-sodium soy sauce.
How to make this recipe
- Prep grill: Heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Add seasonings: Rub the chicken breasts with the oil and seasonings.
- Make marinade: In a small bowl, whisk the honey with mustard and soy sauce.
- Marinate chicken: Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken and stir to coat. Allow the chicken to reach room temp, by sitting for 15 minutes on the counter and in the marinade. Reserve the remaining 1/2 of the honey-mustard sauce to use as a dip (Make sure this mixture doesn’t touch the raw chicken!).
- Grill the chicken: Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Rest & serve: Once the chicken is done grilling, allow it to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the remaining honey-mustard sauce.
- Choose chicken breasts that are all about the same size and shape, so that they’ll cook at the same rate. We recommend avoiding overly thick chicken breasts because they will take much longer to cook.
- If you would rather bake your chicken, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet or in a baking dish at 400 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until the internal temp reads 165 degrees F. Follow all other instructions in the recipe.
- Get a head start on this meal and make the marinade up to one day before you plan to use it. You can also marinate the chicken overnight, so it’s ready to cook the next day.
- To have chicken ready to use throughout the week, double the recipe and use the leftovers in other dishes, from salads to pasta, or with some rice and veggies.
Frequently asked questions
We recommend using a meat thermometer to test the thickest part of the breast. The thermometer should read at least 165 degrees F. If you don’t have a thermometer, poke the chicken in the thickest part and if the juices run clear, the chicken is fully cooked. If the juices are red or have a pinkish color, your chicken may need to be cooked a bit longer.
Marinating chicken before cooking will definitely help keep it nice and tender. We also recommend allowing the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing it, which helps to lock in the juices.
Place leftovers in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag. They will keep in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze the chicken in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to about 3 months.
More chicken recipes to try
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken
- Marry Me Chicken Skillet
- Lemon Chicken Breast
- Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Boneless BBQ Chicken Breast
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast
- Creamy Peri Peri Chicken
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Don’t forget to rate the recipe, too! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTERfor all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
- Heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the oil and seasonings.
- In a small bowl, whisk the honey with mustard and soy sauce.
- Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken and stir to coat. Allow the chicken to reach room temp, by sitting for 15 minutes on the counter and in the marinade. Reserve the remaining 1/2 of the honey-mustard sauce to use as a dip (Make sure this mixture doesn't touch the raw chicken!).
- Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Once the chicken is done grilling, allow it to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the remaining honey-mustard sauce.