This super easy, lemon chicken breast recipe is made on the stovetop within minutes and will satisfy anyone’s craving. Bright lemon juice and savory chicken broth are combined and layered with tender seasoned chicken breasts.
These Easy lemon chicken breasts are perfect for busy weeknights when you want a warm hearty dinner. Made in very few steps in a skillet over medium heat, this chicken recipe will wow yourself and others. Who doesn’t love tender chicken filled with bright lemon flavors?
Tender chicken is nestled over a savory warm sauce packed with bright citrus and fresh dill for the best fresh flavors. We love to serve this chicken all on its own or with a big bowl of fresh pasta–both options are delicious and wholesome.
This recipe is ideal for family dinners because it is so kid-friendly; anyone will love it! We love this recipe because it comes together so simply. It’s great for those nights when you don’t really know what to prepare.
Why This Easy Lemon Chicken is the Best
You will not have any other lemon chicken breast like this recipe. It’s so good!
- Quick and simple: This chicken recipe is so easy to make and doesn’t take many steps at all! You will love how quickly this recipe comes together. Great for those nights when you don’t have a lot of time to prepare dinner.
- Delicious and filled with flavor: Bright citrus and garlic are absorbed into the chicken and savory sauce to create the ultimate flavors. The chicken is ultra-tender and cooked until perfection.
- Ready on the stovetop: This recipe is perfect because it’s made on the stovetop in one skillet. Forget all the other pans and preheating the oven. You can make this in your favorite single pan.
Ingredients you will need for this juicy chicken breast recipe
This tender chicken recipe uses kitchen staple ingredients you may already have! The ingredients and simple and very straightforward. Very easy to find at most grocery stores, too.
Chicken cutlets: Thin chicken cutlets are used for a quick cook time. You can also use chicken breasts but be sure to butterfly them.
Italian seasoning: Aromatic Italian seasoning coats the chicken and gives it robust flavors. You can use store-bought Italian seasoning or make your own with dried oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary.
Salt and pepper: Kosher sea salt and black pepper give the chicken extra bold flavors. Season to your preference.
Flour: All-purpose flour covers the chicken as it cooks in the oil to give it a golden crunch.
Oil: Olive oil is used to cook the chicken in the skillet. You want to make sure the oil gets hot enough in the pan before cooking the chicken.
Garlic: Fresh garlic is absorbed by the lemon sauce and tastes extra savory and delicious. Garlic powder can be used, but we suggest fresh garlic.
Lemon: You will need both lemon juice and wedges for this easy, lemon chicken recipe. The lemon wedges are for serving and are highly recommended.
Chicken broth: Savory chicken broth is used for the base of the sauce. You can use homemade broth or storebought.
Fresh dill: Leafy, green fresh dill is used for its bright flavors and adds aromatic elements to this chicken recipe.
Green onions: Sliced green onions bring all the flavors together and provide additional fresh flavors.
How to Make This Healthy Lemon Chicken Recipe
This recipe is so easy; we can’t get enough of it. The family will love it and so will you!
First, separate all of the ingredients so they are easy to grab when you need them. Be sure to measure everything.
Next, season the chicken cutlets with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Dredge each chicken cutlet into a bowl of flour. Be sure to evenly coat the chicken.
Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Make sure the oil gets hot enough. Next, cook the chicken in small batches until each culet is golden and cooked on both sides.
Set the chicken cutlets aside on a plate while you prepare the creamy sauce.
Next, add the lemon juice and chicken broth to the pan. Be sure to scrape off the brown pieces from the bottom of the skillet with a spatula.
As soon as the broth starts to bubble, stir in the freshly chopped dill and return the chicken back to the pan. Coat the chicken with the sauce.
Sprinkle the cooked chicken with green onions and remove it from heat. Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.
Enjoy! Serve warm for the best flavors.
Recipe Notes and Tips
Follow these recipe notes and tips for optimal results!
- Be sure to cook the chicken until golden and done. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Meal prep this chicken recipe for lunches during the week.
- Use fresh dill if accessible. Dried dill does not have the same flavors fresh dill has.
What to Serve With This Lemon Chicken recipe
You can serve this lemon chicken with so many different side dishes and options. This chicken breast recipe is versatile and tasty with all sorts of foods! Here are some of our favorite recipes to serve with lemon chicken:
Frequently asked questions
Yes. You can marinate chicken in lemon juice for up to 2 hours. It is not recommended to marinate chicken in lemon juice for longer because the acidity will break down the protein/texture of the chicken and you end up with tough and rubbery chicken when cooked.
It is recommended to always marinate the chicken if you can for at least 30 minutes. The key is not to cook the chicken over high heat and too quickly. Overcooking the chicken will result in a tough and rubbery chicken. After you cook the chicken on one side over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or so, flip on the other side and reduce the heat. Let it cook slowly for another 3 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the chicken.
Depending on the thickness and size of the chicken breast, you can cook the chicken breast anywhere between 3-5 minutes per side. The best way to check for doneness is to use a thermometer and check the internal temperature until it reaches 165F.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
If you love this chicken recipe, then you will love the easy chicken recipes below!
- Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Boneless BBQ Chicken Breast
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
Also, if you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Don’t forget to rate the recipe, too! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Lemon Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Kosher sea salt to taste
- Kosher black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour any flour would work
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided, or avocado oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 lemons juiced; 1 for serving
- ¼ cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- Season the chicken cutlets with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, then dredge them into the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken in batches until golden and cooked through on both sides.
- Set aside.
- To the same pan add the remaining oil and quickly saute the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice and chicken broth and scrape off the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- As soon as it starts to bubble, stir in the dill and return the chicken back into the pan.
- Sprinkle with green onions and remove from heat. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- You may use boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- Use another protein like salmon or shrimp
- Any other oil works, try avocado oil in place of olive oil.
- If you don’t have chicken broth, use vegetable broth
- For a KETO approved meal, skip the flour or use arrow root powder