Have you tried Marinated Tomatoes? They are super easy to make with just 10 minutes of prep time, so tasty, and perfect to serve as an appetizer or side dish. Even the little ones will love this one.
Tomatoes may not be a favorite to many, but once marinated with the right amount of herbs and a healthy load of balsamic vinegar and honey, it takes your tomato salad to a whole new level. This easy marinated tomato salad recipe is made with ripe vine-ripe tomatoes, fresh garlic, herbs like fresh dill or fresh basil, onions, balsamic vinegar, honey, and olive oil. It will take just about 10 minutes to put together so it’s hassle-free to but the outcome is so rewarding. You may serve it as an appetizer or a side dish for any occasion. You can go wrong with this garlic and herb marinated tomatoes recipe.
Why this marinated tomato recipe will become a family staple
- So flavorful: the flavors of this marinated tomato recipe will awaken all your tastebuds. It is so flavorful and quite addicting.
- Healthy and good for you: made with clean and healthy good for you ingredients. Tomatoes are loaded with the atioxidtant licopene which is heart healthy and helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Easy to make: you will need a handful of ingredients with only 10 minutes of prep time to get these marinated tomatoes ready to serve.
INGREDIENTS and substitutes to make these marinated tomatoes
- Tomatoes: use vine-ripe tomatoes. Make sure they are firm to the touch and not mushy.
- Garlic cloves: we prefer that you use fresh garlic and not garlic powder.
- White onion: any onion would work, white cooking onion, red/purple onion, or sweet onions.
- Fresh dill: use fresh herbs and not dried herns, you may use your favorite. We love dill or basil as our top choice, but you may use parsly or cilnatro.
- Oil: it is best if you use olive oil. another option would be avocado oil.
- Balsamic vinegar: any brand of balsamic vinegar will do.
- Honey: if you would like to keep this vegan-friendly, use maple syrup, agave, or brown sugar.
- Salt and pepper to taste: you may just sprinkle some salt and pepper at the very end.
How to make this simple tomato salad recipe
Slice the tomatoes into 1/3-inch thick slices, finely chop the garlic, onion, and herbs of choice.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, onion, herbs, oil, vinegar, and honey.
Lay the tomatoes on a shallow platter and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon over the garlic-herb marinade.
Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
Frequently asked questions
Depending on how much vinegar you add, marinated tomatoes should last up to 4-5 days in the fridge. Place in a tightly sealed container.
We do not recommend you freeze these marinated tomatoes to eat them later. They are best served fresh. But in general, yes you can freeze fresh tomatoes for later use. You do not need to balance them either before freezing. Frozen tomatoes are best used in sauces and soups.
Fresh tomatoes will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. They have a shelf life on your kitchen counter for about a week. If you want to get the tomatoes ahead when making the marinated tomatoes, you can store them in the fridge for a few days.
Simple and easy salad recipes you may like
- Healthy White Bean Tuna Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
What to serve with marinated tomatoes
- Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
- Baked Honey Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- Honey Glazed Air Fryer Salmon
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers
- Lemon Garlic Salmon
- Grilled Chimichurri Chicken
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Marinated Tomatoes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes hard to the touch
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1/4 small white onion finely diced (or use red, yellow onion)
- 1/2 small bunch of fresh dill weed or fresh basil, parsley, cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/3-inch thick slices, finely chop the garlic, onion, and herbs of choice.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, onion, herbs, oil, vinegar, and honey.
- Lay the tomatoes on a shallow platter and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over the garlic-herb marinade.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
- Serving size: one tomato – however many slices you get out of one tomato
- Dill: we used dill, but using fresh basil is also absolutely delicious if you don’t like dill.
- Use avocado oil in place of olive oil
- Use ripe but hard to the touch tomatoes, do not use soft/mushy tomatoes