These Crispy Baked Chicken Cutlets are oven-baked and will be your new favorite way to eat chicken. They are so crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Easy to make and perfectly baked crispy chicken that the whole family can enjoy!
These crispy OVEN baked chicken cutlets are so tender and juicy on the inside and super crispy and crunchy at the same time. Made with a delicious garlic parmesan coating and tastes just like fried chicken.
An easy weeknight meal that’s ready in just about 30 minutes and a healthier alternative to the classic fried crispy chicken without missing out on flavor. Serve this easy chicken recipe with roasted veggies or potatoes, over salad, or pasta.
Why this Crispy Baked Chicken cutlet recipe is the best
- So good: this baked chicken recipe is so crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. If you are a fan of the fried chicken cutlets that most Italian restaurants serve, you will be pleasantly surprised with this healthier (and tastier!) homemade version!
- Kid-friendly: just like adults, the kids will love these crispy chicken cutlets! The ingredients are simple, and you can even serve this crispy chicken with your kiddos favorite pasta to make it even more delicious.
- Simple and easy: it’s really easy to prep these chicken cutlets and pop in the oven. No frying needed which means no oil popping all over the stove. And because the ingredients are so simple, you might already have all if not most of them on hand already! It’s a win win!
Ingredients for Baked Breaded Chicken cutlets
- Chicken Breasts: You will need about 4 chicken breasts for this easy chicken cutlet recipe. I always opt for boneless and skinless because it’s just so much easier!
- Italian Seasoning: Such a versatile seasoning, this is one that most people already have in their spice cabinet. It yields an aromatic and simple flavor that really helps to make this chicken amazing.
- Olive Oil: A great vegetable oil that can be used at high temperatures, high quality olive oil has natural aromatic flavors that are robust and so delicious.
- Egg: The egg in this crispy baked chicken recipe helps to hold all of that delicious breading on the chicken cutlets. A quick dip in the egg mixture ensures that you get the maximum breading without being too thick.
- Milk: When whisked together with the egg, the milk helps to perfectly coat the raw chicken cutlets so that the perfect ratio of breadcrumbs to chicken sticks on.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: The combination of panko, fresh Parmesan cheese and garlic powder makes the ultimate breading for your chicken! It’s light but still packed with flavor for the perfect combination.
- Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grating your cheese is always the way to go! Pre-shredded cheese has a harder time melting, and once you grate your own, you’ll never go back! The taste is so much better.
- Garlic Powder: The breading is what really sets this oven fried chicken recipe apart, and that’s where the garlic powder comes in. It gets added to the breading mixture to give a rounded out and perfectly seasoned outer coating to the chicken.
- Smoked Paprika: Pungent dried paprika is used to season the chicken with classic aromatic flavors. If you do not have smoked paprika, then regular paprika will work.
- Sea Salt and Pepper: The seasonings for this crispy chicken cutlet recipe are really so simple, but that’s what makes them so delicious! You can use salt and pepper to taste, but I personally like to use sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Cooking Spray: I like to use avocado cooking oil spray to keep things light and healthy. However, any neutral oil spray will work here, such as an olive oil spray.
- Fresh Chopped Parsley: To add a little bit of color and freshness to our baked chicken, I like to sprinkle some fresh parsley at the end! Of course, if you don’t have any on hand you can omit it with no problem.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN CUTLETS
Follow these simple steps on how to make simple baked crispy chicken breasts. They are easy to make and can be ready in no time. If you can marinate the chicken ahead of time then great, if in a hurry and don’t have much time on your hands don’t fret.
- Prepare the chicken: To prepare the cutlets, pound each chicken breast to an even 1/4 inch thickness. Next, rub the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and olive oil. We want the chicken to really absorb the flavors of the seasonings.
- Marinate: If time allows, marinate it for one hour to overnight. This will give you the most tender and moist chicken! The longer you allow the chicken to marinate, the better it will taste!
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. This will help the baked chicken from sticking to the pan.
- Coat chicken: In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, a pinch of salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, combine the panko, garlic powder, with parmesan and smoked paprika. Dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture, then dredge it into the panko mixture, lightly pressing to coat. Place the chicken onto the prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking oil spray
- Bake, garnish and serve: Finally, bake the chicken cutlets in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then flip them and bake for 5-8 minutes more, or until golden and cooked through. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, and serve immediately with your favorite healthy side dishes!
frequently asked questions
An easy way to know for sure chicken is done is to cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F when you check with a digital food thermometer. But to give you an idea of how long it takes when you bake at 350-400F. At 400F thinly sliced boneless chicken breasts should take no longer than 15-20 minutes. At 350F it may need 25-30 minutes depending on how thin the chicken is sliced.
If you are trying to keep your chicken warm and crispy just for a few hours until ready to serve, simply place then on a cooling rack without parchment paper and keep it in the bottom of the warm oven. This works for these oven-baked chicken cutlets since they aren’t fried. For actually fried chicken, drain as much oil as you can from the chicken before you place it on the rack to cool off or keep warm in the oven.
Allow crispy chicken to cool off completely on a cooling rack before placing it in an airtight container and storing it in the fridge for 3-5 days. If the chicken is fried and oil, try to drain as much oil from it as you can before cooling it off and storing it in the fridge.
What to serve with crispy oven-baked chicken
Crispy chicken can be served alongside some roasted veggies to keep it as healthy as possible. They will taste great with some roasted potatoes, over some salad, or over creamy or tomato-based pasta.
Here are a few side options for these easy crispy baked chicken:
We want to see your creations! If you take a snapshot of any remake from our site, tag us @healthyfitnessmeals so we can share your remake! Also, don’t forget to rate our recipes and leave us some feedback in the comments below. Those are always so epic and very much appreciated.
Check out these other recipes we think you will love:
- Pan-Seared Southwestern Salmon
- Oven-Fried Chicken Tenders
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Easy Harvest Chicken Casserole
- Crispy Greek Potato Bake Recipe
- Crispy Cheesy Baked Broccoli
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like these Crispy baked chicken cutlets delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Crispy Baked Chicken Cutlets
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Breasts (about 4) skinless, boneless
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- ¾ Cup Panko or italian style panko
- ¼ Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado cooking oil spray
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Parsley
- To prepare the cutlets, pound each chicken breast to an even 1/4 inch thickness.
- Next, rub the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and olive oil. If time allows, marinate it for 1h to overnight. This will give you the most tender and moist chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, combine the garlic powder, panko with parmesan and smoked paprika. Dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture, then dredge it into the panko mixture, lightly pressing to coat
- Place the chicken onto the prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking oil spray. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then flip the chicken cutlets and bake for 5-8
minutes more, or until golden and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, and serve immediately.
- Depending on how thin you slice each chicken breast will determine how many strips per serving.
- Each serving will be one full chicken breast. Which should be sliced to 2-3 pieces.