This Easy to make Harvest Chicken Casserole Recipe is made with chicken breast, sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and other feel-good fall ingredients. It makes for a complete quick and nutritious healthy dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
Its fall and we tend to lean towards warm and comforting dinner ideas to serve our family that can be made in just about 30 minutes and all in one dish! This healthy chicken casserole recipe has the perfect sweet and savory flavors, loaded with protein and veggies, and so easy to put together.
How to make this Baked Chicken and Potato Casserole
Making this cheesy chicken casserole can’t get any easier. I used chicken breasts as a leaner and healthier option to using chicken thighs.
First, cook the chicken chunks in a skillet with a bit of oil until they are cooked through. This will take about 4 minutes or so. In the meantime, add the potatoes and Brussel sprouts onto a baking dish. Add the garlic and the spices.
Drizzle with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to combine. Add in the chicken and the broth. Bake for about 15 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Finally, add in the cranberries and cheese. Let it bake until cheese melts and serve. Add whatever garnishes you like. This will be the best chicken casserole ever! Even though I really also like my zucchini Lasagna casserole as well!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN FOR CASSEROLE
The best way to prepare the chicken for the casserole is to cook on a skillet for a few minutes before adding to the baking dish and baking. In my opinion, I have found this to be the easiest route. You can still add the chicken raw with the veggies and bake but keep in mind that the veggies will cook much faster than the chicken. So I suggest you bake the chicken first for about 10 minutes and then add in the veggies.
HOW LONG TO COOK CHICKEN CASSEROLE
If you are using pre-cooked chicken like a rotisserie or cooked the chicken in a skillet first, then the chicken casserole needs about 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 F. I used a smaller piece of chicken breast chunks that were cooked in a skillet first. Raw chicken will take longer and larger pieces of chicken will take about 30-40 minutes.
WHAT SIDE DISH GOES WITH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
This harvest chicken casserole recipe in itself is a well-balanced meal because it is made with chicken breast, veggies, and sweet potatoes. It has the carbs and the protein. You really do not need a side dish but if you feel like having “something” with this chicken casserole, try some quinoa, more grilled veggies, some grilled corn, and greens (like a salad). Other casseroles that don’t have potatoes in them will be great to add a side of baked potatoes to it.
CAN YOU FREEZE LEFTOVER CHICKEN CASSEROLE
It is ok to freeze your leftover chicken casserole. Make sure you place in an airtight container or tightly wrap with aluminum foil then wrap with plastic wrap before you freeze. When you are ready to use, remove and allow to thaw in the fridge overnight before placing it again in the oven to bake and heat. You can freeze chicken casserole for up to 3 months.
CAN YOU REHEAT CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Yes. The best way to reheat chicken casserole is to bake again in the oven at 350F for about 10-15 minutes. You may add a bit more cheese to it. If it’s frozen, allow it to thaw on counter or overnight in the fridge. You may also add it frozen to the oven but will take longer to heat.
Other quick and easy dinner recipes to try:
- Best White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Roasted Chicken Thighs with Maple Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast
- One Pan Cranberry Roasted Chicken Skillet
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Easy and healthy chicken casserole Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Harvest chicken casserole recipe
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil divided
- 2 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Small Onion diced, white or purple
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts trimmed and quartered
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ Tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Cup Low-sodium chicken broth divided
- ⅓ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- Sliced Green onions
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chopped Parsley
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet or pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sear until golden brown on the sides, and almost cooked through, 3-4 minutes in total.
- Meanwhile, combine sweet potatoes together with Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, paprika and cumin into a 9"-x-13" baking dish.
- Drizzle with remaining avocado oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to get it coated on all sides. Top with chicken pieces and pour over the broth.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until veggies are fork-tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries, and sprinkle with cheese. return to the oven and continue to bake until cheese is melted. About 5 more minutes.
- Enjoy while hot!