This Easy to make Harvest Chicken Casserole Recipe is made with chicken breast, sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and other feel-good fall ingredients. It makes for a complete quick and nutritious healthy dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
It’s fall and we tend to lean towards warm and comforting dinner ideas to serve our family that can be made in just about 30 minutes and all in one dish! This healthy chicken casserole recipe has the perfect sweet and savory flavors, loaded with protein and veggies, and so easy to put together.
Why you will love this chicken casserole recipe
- So filling: this chicken casserole recipe is complete on its own. With the right amount of veggies, carbs, and protein.
- Healthy: Loaded with nutrients, fiber, and protein.
- So good: you will love the taste of this chicken casserole. So easy to make and very tasty.
Ingredients you will need
Avocado or olive oil
Salt and pepper
White or purple Onion
How to make this Baked Chicken and Potato Casserole
Preheat your oven to 375F.
Combine sweet potatoes together with Brussels sprouts, garlic, paprika, and cumin into a 9″-x-13″ baking dish. Drizzle with half of the avocado oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to get it coated on all sides; pour over the broth and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
Place in the preheated oven and bake until veggies are fork-tender, about 22-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining tbsp of oil in a large skillet or pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sear until golden brown on the sides, and almost cooked through, 3-4 minutes in total.
Once the veggies are done, stir in the chicken pieces and cranberries; Sprinkle with cheese and return the dish, uncovered, to the oven.
Continue to bake for 10-12 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
Enjoy while hot!
This will be the best chicken casserole ever! Even though I really also like my zucchini Lasagna casserole as well!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN FOR CASSEROLE
The best way to prepare the chicken for the casserole is to cook on a skillet for a few minutes before adding to the baking dish and baking. In my opinion, I have found this to be the easiest route. You can still add the chicken raw with the veggies and bake but keep in mind that the veggies will cook much faster than the chicken. So I suggest you bake the chicken first for about 10 minutes and then add in the veggies.
HOW LONG TO COOK CHICKEN CASSEROLE
If you are using pre-cooked chicken like a rotisserie or cooked the chicken in a skillet first, then the chicken casserole needs about 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 F. I used a smaller piece of chicken breast chunks that were cooked in a skillet first. Raw chicken will take longer and larger pieces of chicken will take about 30-40 minutes.
WHAT SIDE DISH GOES WITH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
This harvest chicken casserole recipe in itself is a well-balanced meal because it is made with chicken breast, veggies, and sweet potatoes. It has carbs and protein. You really do not need a side dish but if you feel like having “something” with this chicken casserole, try some quinoa, more grilled veggies, some grilled corn, and greens (like a salad). Other casseroles that don’t have potatoes in them will be great to add a side of baked potatoes to it.
CAN YOU FREEZE LEFTOVER CHICKEN CASSEROLE
It is ok to freeze your leftover chicken casserole. Make sure you place it in an airtight container or tightly wrap it with aluminum foil then wrap it with plastic wrap before you freeze. When you are ready to use, remove and allow to thaw in the fridge overnight before placing it again in the oven to bake and heat. You can freeze chicken casserole for up to 3 months.
CAN YOU REHEAT CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Yes. The best way to reheat chicken casserole is to bake again in the oven at 350F for about 10-15 minutes. You may add a bit more cheese to it. If it’s frozen, allow it to thaw on the counter or overnight in the fridge. You may also add it frozen to the oven but will take longer to heat.
Other quick and easy dinner recipes to try:
- Best White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Roasted Chicken Thighs with Maple Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast
- One Pan Cranberry Roasted Chicken Skillet
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Easy and healthy chicken casserole Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Harvest chicken casserole recipe
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil divided
- 2 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Small Onion diced, white or purple
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts trimmed and quartered
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ Tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Cup Low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- Sliced Green onions
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chopped Parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Combine sweet potatoes together with Brussels sprouts, garlic, paprika, and cumin into a 9"-x-13" baking dish. Drizzle with half of the avocado oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to get it coated on all sides; pour over the broth and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until veggies are fork-tender, about 22-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tbsp of oil in a large skillet or pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sear until golden brown on the sides, and almost cooked through, 3-4 minutes in total.
- Once the veggies are done, stir in the chicken pieces and cranberries; Sprinkle with cheese and return the dish, uncovered, to the oven.
- Continue to bake for 10-12 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted. Enjoy while hot!
- note: this recipe was remade and updated on 3-15-2021. Since some complained about veggies not being done. Some may like veggies on the crunchy side and some are well done. So we updated so the veggies are more on the done side.
- avocado or olive oil
- cover the dish with foil to ensure veggies are done.
- Chicken: you may use boneless chicken thighs
- use any of your favorite veggies