This Creamy lemon pepper chicken recipe is simple, quick, and easy to make. A low-carb healthy chicken recipe that takes just about 30 minutes to make and the perfect weeknight dinner recipe to serve the family with some rice or spaghetti.
You will need a handful of simple ingredients to make this creamy and healthy chicken breast recipe. Tender and juicy chicken breast nestled in a creamy lemony sauce made with garlic, lemon, and almond milk. This lemon pepper chicken recipe is low in carbs, low in fat, high in protein, flavorful, and perfect to serve the family as a light dinner with some pasta or rice. If you are looking for an easy way to cook up your chicken breasts for dinner, this creamy lemon chicken will be right up your alley with the right amount of lemony sauce.
Why you will love this chicken breast recipe
- Healthy: This lemon chicken recipe is made with healthy ingredients for a perfectly healthy dinner to add to your dinner table. It is low carb and high in protein.
- Easy to make: this chicken breast recipe is really easy to make with just 5 minutes of prep time and a total of 30 minutes from start to finish!
- Flavorful: The creamy lemon sauce of this chicken recipe is what brings out all the flavors of this meal. The chicken is so tender, juicy, and flavorful.
Ingredients you will need and substitutes
To make this creamy and delicious lemon pepper chicken recipe you will need the following ingredients. Full measurements are listed further down below.
- Chicken breasts: You will need 2 large (around 8 oz each), or 4 smaller sized chicken breast. cut in half lengthwise to cook faster
- Seasonings: lemon pepepr, salt, and pepper.
- Oil: We used olive oil. Use any neutral oil of choice like avocado oil
- Garlic cloves: It is best to use fresg garlic cloves and not garlic powder. If you are in a pinch and dont have any gralic cloves , then you can substitute it with 1 tablepsoon of garlic powder.
- Flour: any flour will work like all-puporpose or gluten-free flour.
- Milk: almond milk was used to make this creamy lemon chicken. Any milk will work like 2% milk but to keep ot dairy-free, use almond or cashew milk.
- Lemons: use fresh lemons intsead of bottled lemon juice. More robust flavor and tastes better.
- Fresh parsley: this ingredient is used mainly to garnish and add some flavor to the overall meal.
How to make this creamy lemon chicken recipe
- Season the chicken: Sprinkle the chicken with the lemon pepper blend and season with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook the chicken: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until golden on both sides, about 8-10 minutes in total. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Make the creamy lemon sauce: Add the remaining oil to the pan. Saute the garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. In a small bowl, quickly whisk the flour and milk until smooth. Pour the milk mixture into the pan and whisk until bubbly and thickened, 2-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the sauce: Return the chicken back into the pan and allow it to cook for 4-5 minutes more, or until cooked through.
- Serve: Garnish with lemon slices and freshly ground black pepper.
frequently asked questions
The key to getting soft and juicy chicken breasts is not overcooking them. Cook the chicken breast over medium heat (not high heat) and allow it to cook rather slowly for about 7-10 minutes on each side depending on the size of the chicken breast. Another tip to achieve juicy chicken breast is to allow it to sit covered for about 5 minutes after you cook it before serving. Last but not least, to ensure the juiciest chicken ever, you can soak it in heavily salted water for 10-15 minutes before cooking. This will help tenderize the chicken.
Lemon is a great tenderizing ingredient to add to chicken breast. Perfect to use as a marinade and tastes great when paired with black pepper. Lemon is acidic and adding lemon juice to your chicken, will not only tenderize it but will add a great robust flavor to the meal.
Store leftover creamy chicken in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place in the microwave and heat up for 60-90 seconds.
What to serve with this creamy lemon pepper chicken
- Parmesan Baked Potato Wedges
- Mushroom Garlic Spaghetti
- Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- Plain Stovetop White Rice
- Garlic Butter Hasselback Potatoes
- Parmesan Oven Roasted Cauliflower
Other easy and healthy recipes to try
- Roasted Chickpea and Avocado Salad
- Baked Tomato Feta Pasta
- Chicken Florentine
- Taco Chicken Quinoa Bowl
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Authentic Shish Tawook
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Salad
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts around 8 oz each, cut in half lengthwise to cook faster
- 1/2 tbsp lemon pepper
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk
- 1 lemon sliced to garnish
- 1 tbsp parsley minced, to garnish
- Sprinkle the chicken with the lemon pepper blend and season with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until golden on both sides, about 8-10 minutes in total. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Saute the garlic over medium heat for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, quickly whisk the flour and milk until smooth.
- Pour the milk mixture into the pan and whisk until bubbly and thickened, 2-4 minutes.
- Return the chicken back into the pan and allow it to cook for 4-5 minutes more, or until cooked through.
- Garnish with lemon slices and freshly ground black pepper.
- serving size is one slice of chicken breast (1/2 of the breast that was sliced)
- milk: any milk of choice works. Dairy-free options are great if you are lactose intolerant
- flour: all-purpose or whole wheat flour will work. Gluten-free used for gluten-allergies.
- Chicken: we prefer that you use chicken breast. Boneless chicken thighs work too.
- Only use fresh lemons since they taste much better than bottled lemon juice.
- store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 3 days.