This Broccoli Soup is loaded with shredded chicken and veggies. Easy to make, so filling, healthy, and the perfect chicken soup recipe for those cozy winter nights. A comforting bowl that the whole family will enjoy.
Nothing is more satisfying than a comforting bowl of soup during those cold winter nights. This Chicken broccoli soup is so fun and easy to put together. Loaded with juicy shredded chicken and packed with veggies that are good for you! Make this chicken vegetable soup for the entire family to enjoy. Double up on the recipe so you can have some leftovers for the next day!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BROCCOLI SOUP
Over medium-high heat sautee the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, garlic with a bit of oil until it starts to soften about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken together with broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through. About 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk milk and gluten-free flour until well combined. Once the chicken is done, remove and shred, then return to the pot.
Stir in broccoli, milk mixture, salt, and pepper, and simmer for about 5-6 minutes more, or until broccoli is fork-tender and soup has thickened.
Pour into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and ground black pepper. Enjoy!
How to make this chicken Broccoli soup in a crockpot, slow cooker or instant pot
Some love their crockpots and slow cookers and we will show you how to make this easy chicken soup recipe in either your crockpot, slow cooker or instant pot.
- Using a skillet over medium-high heat, sautee the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, garlic with a bit of oil until it starts to soften about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the crockpot. Whisk the milk with the gluten-free flour and pour into the crockpot along with the chicken (YOU MAY CUT INTO CHUNKS), broth, broccoli, and seasoning.
- Cover the crockpot and set it on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, shred, and add it back into the crockpot. Cook for another 30 minutes ON HIGH. Then serve.
- If you like broccoli to be a bit crunchy, you may add it last when adding the shredded chicken back in.
- Using the saute setting on the instant pot, sautee/cook the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, garlic with a bit of oil until it starts to soften about 5 minutes.
- add in the chicken, broth, broccoli, seasoning, and MILK (mixed in with the flour). Cover and either cook at high pressure for 7-10 minutes or use the soup setting on the instant pot.
- allow pressure to release, uncover, and remove the chicken. Shred chicken and return back to the instant pot.
- place it back on the saute setting and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.
If making this homemade chicken broccoli soup recipe using your slow cooker, simply follow the same directions as you would for the crockpot mentioned above. Place the settings to low and allow to cook for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken, shred, and add it back in. Allow it to cook for an additional 30 minutes to one hour.
How do you make a soup creamier
If you want to make a keto chicken soup and looking to get your soup to be creamier, add in some whipping heavy cream, whole milk, and some cheese. If you just want to thicken your chicken soup, then another option would be to use arrowroot powder instead of any flour or cornstarch.
How long is homemade chicken soup good for
Store your chicken soup properly in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze chicken soup
This chicken broccoli soup or any chicken and vegetable soup will last for 1-2 months when stored in the freezer in a tightly sealed container or good grade freezer bag.
What to put in a chicken soup
Chicken soup is one of those soup recipes that you can get really creative with. First, choose the stock you will be using whether its chicken or vegetable stock. Add in any of your favorites veggies! Any that come to mind and you enjoy. Then your seasonings. The best ones would be simple concoctions like Italian blend, thyme, oregano, and so on. You may also either add rice or quinoa for a more bulky and filling chicken soup.
What to serve with chicken broccoli soup
Some foods that go well with chicken soup are:
- Some grilled cheese
- Herbed whole-grain toast
- Cheesy biscuits
- pull apart cheese bread
Can I use chicken stock for soup
Absolutely. In fact chicken stock or any other stock used as a base for your soup will give it so much flavor.
We would love to get some feedback from you if you make this chicken broccoli soup recipe. Leave us a comment below and don’t forget to rate it and share it with your friends and family.
Here are some other amazing and easy soup recipes to check out:
- Italian Chicken And Bean Soup
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup
- Crockpot Lentil and mushroom soup
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Chicken Broccoli Soup Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Chicken Broccoli Soup
- 1 Large Sweet Onion diced
- 2 Large Carrots peeled and finely diced
- 2 Celery Stalks finely sliced
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves pressed
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning Mix
- 1 Lb Boneless skinless chicken breast
- 6 Cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium Head Broccoli broken into small florets
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-Free Flour
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, garlic and sauté until it starts to soften about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken together with broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through. About 20-25 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk milk and gluten-free flour until well combined. Once the chicken is done, remove and shred, then return to the pot.
- Stir in broccoli, milk mixture, salt, and pepper, and simmer for about 5-6 minutes more, or until broccoli is fork-tender and soup has thickened.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and ground black pepper. Enjoy!