Simple and easy Chocolate Waffles that are fluffy, tasty, and made with readily available ingredients that you most likely already have. Ready in just 30 minutes, these waffles will become a breakfast staple in your household.
These chocolate waffles are so decadent and made entirely from scratch without any hidden ingredients. They are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, you will enjoy a rich chocolate flavor with each bite with minimal effort whatsoever. They are perfect for those chocolate cravings and if you feel like having chocolate cake for breakfast, then these chocolate waffles come in handy. Serve with fresh fruits like berries, or drizzle some melted dark chocolate or maple syrup. So irresistible, easy to make, and a great way to up your waffle game.
why you will love this recipe
- Quick and Easy: Easy to make with quick and simple steps. Ready in just 30 minutes. Hassle-free tasty breakfast.
- Decadent: You will enjoy Chocolate richness overload especially if you drizzle some more melted dark chocolate over the waffles. Fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Healthy: made with good-for-you healthier ingredients to enjoy guilt-free dessert-like breakfast without worry about all the calories and macros.
Ingredients for chocolate waffles
- Flour: we used whole wheat flour. You may use any flour of your choice. Even gluten-free flour.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: used to add in some chocolate flavor
- Baking powder and baking soda: if you are using self-rising flour, you may skip these ingredients.
- kosher salt: optional
- Eggs: we used 3 eggs. you may use egg substitutes for a vegan option
- Plain yogurt: we used plain not Greek. You can use vanilla flavor if you like.
- Maple syrup: you may use brown sugar, agave, or honey
- Vanilla extract: adds in flavor to neutralize the egg flavor.
- Mini chocolate chips: use dark chocolate chips or dairy-free for a vegan option.
- Optional TOPPINGS: Fresh raspberries or strawberries. Maple syrup or honey for drizzling, melted dark chocolate, bananas, or shaved chocolate.
How to make chocolate waffles
In a medium bowl stir the dry ingredients: the flour, cocoa powder, baking
powder, baking soda, and salt. In a second large bowl whisk the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
Add in the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. You may use a hand mixer or a whisk. Next, fold in the chocolate chips.
Preheat a waffle maker until a green light appears. Spray the waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the waffles for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly crisp or golden brown.
Serve with fresh fruits, and maple syrup and top with shaved chocolate, if
Storing and reheating
- Storing: Place leftover waffles in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also make double batches and freeze them for up to 4 months. Make sure you store them in a freezer-safe bag to prevent freezer burn taste.
- Reheating: You can reheat in the microwave for 20-30 second intervals or pop it in a toaster and toast it instead for a crispy outer later.
Recipe notes and Tips
- Use any flour of your choice.
- Top with your favorite fruits, sauce, or toppings. You may serve it with some low-fat ice cream, or frozen whipped cream
- Add more protein by adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder.
- Do use vegan-friendly ingredients for a vegan option like maple syrup, plant-based yogurt, and dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Make a double batch and store it in the fridge for easier reheating and serving the next day.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. You can certainly use the toaster to reheat and toast your leftover cold waffles. A great way to reheat them and helps maintain their crispy outside coat.
Yes. If you do not want to reheat your waffles and would like to serve them cold you can.
It is recommended to allow the batter to sit for 15-20 minutes to get fluffier waffles. We did not let our batter sit so it is not an absolute must step that you have to adhere to.
There are so many different ways to jazz up your waffles. Never settle for less so to speak. You can get as creative as you like with your waffle toppings. Consider`topping the waffles with fresh fruits or berries, use spreads like cream cheese, Nutella, whipped butter, whipped cream, peanut butter, or yogurt, or drizzle a variety of sauces like chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, maple syrups, or hot fudge.
more recipes with chocolate
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Hot Chocolate Oatmeal Bowl
- Chocolate Keto Brownies
- Double Chocolate Chip Date Energy Balls
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Breakfast recipes you may also alike
- Healthy Bran Muffins
- Peanut Butter Jelly Stuffed French Toast
- Greek Yogurt Chia Pudding
- Peanut Butter Chia Pudding
- Baked Berries French Toast
- Breakfast Egg Sandwich
- Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Chocolate Waffles
- waffles maker
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Fresh raspberries or strawberries
- Maple syrup or honey
- Shaved chocolate optional
- In a medium bowl stir the dry ingredients: the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a second large bowl whisk the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients and stir well to combine, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat a waffle maker until a green light appears. Cook the waffles for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly crisp
- Serve with fresh fruits, and maple syrup and top with shaved chocolate, if desired.
- use any flour of your choice.
- instead of maple syrup, you may use agave or honey.
- Top with your favorite fruits and spread.
- Double the batter and store to make more the next day.