Double chocolate chip date energy balls that taste just like chocolate cookie dough! These easy bites are made with eight simple ingredients, naturally sweetened with dates, and filled with mini chocolate chips. An irresistible, yet nutritious snack or dessert!
These easy double chocolate energy balls are made with nuts, dates, cocoa powder, chia seeds, coconut flakes, ground flax, coconut oil, and mini chocolate chips. And you only need 10 minutes of your time to whip these up. They are perfect to enjoy as a snack or a healthy sweet treat. They’re even nourishing enough to grab a couple for an on-the-go breakfast.
Why you should make this recipe
- Quick & easy to make: Just add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend, then roll. You only need about 10 minutes to have a healthy treat ready to enjoy.
- Healthy: These are a more wholesome alternative to store-bought bites and snacks.
- So delicious: These are incredibly flavorful and have the best texture… think double chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Kid and adult-friendly: Not only do adults love these, but your picky kids will gobble them up too!
These chocolate bites have a good amount of fiber, plant-based protein, and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, so they are the perfect way to satisfy a craving! Here’s everything you’ll need to make them:
- Nuts: You’ll need 1 cup of raw cashews or almonds for the base of the energy balls.
- Dates: We recommend Medjool dates because they have a caramel-like taste and a soft, chewy texture.
- Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder is what gives these bites a nice chocolate flavor.
- Chia seeds: This adds a boost of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and antioxidants!
- Unsweetened coconut flakes: A good source of fiber and high in healthy fats, they add flavor to the balls.
- Ground flaxseed: Another great way to easily add even more nutrients!
- Coconut oil: Just 2 tbsp of coconut oil helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Mini chocolate chips: For a little extra sweetness and even more delicious chocolate flavor. We like semi-sweet chocolate chips best, but you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate if preferred.
How to make this recipe
- Add ingredients to the blender: In a high-powered blender or food processor, add all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Make sure the dates are pitted.
- Combine ingredients: Blend until all the ingredients are smoothly mixed and uniform.
- Add chocolate chips: Remove the mixture from the blender and add to a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips. Mix until evenly combined.
- Roll: Using a spoon or scooper, scoop even amounts and roll them into balls. These can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to about a week.
- Make sure you pit your dates (if they are not already pitted) before blending them with the other ingredients.
- For the best flavor and texture, we recommend Medjool dates. They are soft and chewy and have a lovely sweet caramel taste.
- For a little extra flavor and texture, you can roll the balls into extra coconut flakes, or if the flakes seem too big for this, use unsweetened shredded coconut (which will be smaller shreds).
Frequently asked questions
This particular recipe for chocolate energy balls is nutritious and makes a great on-the-go snack. These bites have a good balance of healthy fats, protein, complex carbs, and fiber.
Energy balls are a versatile snack option that you can enjoy any time of day. However, we recommend moderation when enjoying them because even though they are made with only healthy ingredients, they are high in calories and fat. We suggest one ball for a snack or dessert and two balls if enjoying for breakfast.
Yes! For longer storage, place these in a sealable freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Let them sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.
Serve immediately or place in a sealed container and store them in the fridge for up to 7 days. To store for longer than a week, freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe bag or container.
More energy ball recipes
- No-Bake Brownie Protein Bites
- Walnut Date Energy Balls
- Protein-energy bites
- Monster Cookies energy bites
- Peanut butter cookie dough balls
- Protein Brownie Bites
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it!
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Double Chocolate Chip Date Energy Balls
- 1 cup raw cashews or almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates about 10-12 Medjool dates
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes more for rolling if desired
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a high-powered blender, add all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Make sure the dates are pitted.
- Blend until all the ingredients are smoothly mixed and uniform.
- Remove the mixture from the blender and add to a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips. Mix until evenly combined.
- Using a spoon or scooper, scoop even amounts and roll them into balls.
- Serve immediately or place in a sealed container and store them in the fridge for up to 7 days.