A lightened up version of the classic chicken salad recipe made with rotisserie chicken, avocado, and sour cream instead of mayonnaise. This easy chicken salad can be ready in just 15 minutes and a great make-ahead recipe.
This Healthy Chicken Salad is creamy, full of flavor and goes perfect with everything from lettuce wraps, to salad topper, sandwiches, or over crackers as an appetizer. So easy to throw together, with no mayonnaise, eggs or grapes, and just the right amount crunchiness. Best of all, no need to get a storebought version when you can have a delicious homemade version ready in just 15 minutes. For a greet yogurt version of this salad, you may just substitute the sour cream for Greek yogurt which makes it low in carbs and keto-friendly. We used Rotisserie chicken to save you time and hassle from making and preparing chicken from scratch!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SALAD
This simple salad is so easy to make. It requires very little ingredients, low in carb, gluten-free, and loaded with flavor.
Chicken salad ingredients
Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken
Sour Cream or GREEK YOGURT
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional: whole-grain crackers, for serving
- Prepare Chicken: Chop the rotisserie chicken into small bite-size pieces.
- Chop celery and avocado: Wash the celery stalks and chop them into 1-inch pieces, then chop one of the avocados and squeeze over 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Add Ingredients to bowl: Place the chicken pieces, celery, avocado, and scallions to a salad bowl.
- Blend the sauce: In a blender, combine the remaining avocado flesh together with the sour cream, mustard, parsley, lemon juice, and zest blend until smooth and creamy.
- Combine sauce with chicken: Pour the prepared creamy dressing on top of the chicken and veggies.
Season with some salt and pepper, toss until well combined. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.
How to store chicken salad
You can store the salad in an air-tight container for up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Serve with toasted bread or sturdy whole-grain crackers when ready to serve.
Is Chicken Salad Keto
The classic version will be keto-friendly unless high sugar ingredients are added to it like grapes. Most ingredients used are low carb which makes it ideal for the keto-diet. Use Greek yogurt and mayonnaise to ensure the lowest carb content possible when making a keto chicken salad.
Is Chicken Salad Healthy
For a healthier chicken salad, make a homemade version. Store-bought chicken salad may have too much mayo and ingredients with added sugar. Our easy to make recipe is healthy, creamy and full of flavor. The traditional chicken salad is made with mayonnaise which can be eliminated and substituted with greek yogurt or sour cream instead for a healthier version.
How long is chicken salad good for
Chicken salad will last about 3 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. Do not add any of the chopped avocados until you are ready to serve. It can be enjoyed cold and no reheating is necessary.
Can you freeze chicken salad
We do not like freezing chicken salad but it is something you can do if you arent using mayonnaise which tends to separate after freezing. It should be ok to freeze if using Greek yogurt or sour cream. Freeze for up to 3 months and allow it to thaw in the fridge before serving.
What to serve with chicken salad
Chicken salads are great in sandwiches and perfect as an appetizer with crackers and chips. You may also add over a bowl of greens or use in lettuce wraps. You may also stuff them in whole grain pizza pockets with some lettuce and tomatoes! Or simply enjoy it as is!
We love hearing from you. If you make this recipe please come back and leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Also, if you love it as much as we do, share it with your friends and family on social media.
Tag us on Instagram if you happen to take any snapshots of recipes you make from Healthy Fitness Meals so you can be featured.
Here are some other easy salad recipes to try soon:
- Hummus Quinoa Veggie Bowl
- Easy Chicken Fajita Bowl
- Vegetarian Pasta Salad
- Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Parmesan Zucchini Corn Salad
- Pomegranate Chicken Salad Recipe
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Avocado Chicken Salad
- 1 Meat of Rotisserie Chicken chopped
- 5 Stalks Celery chopped
- 2 Avocados 1 halved and 1 chopped
- 1 Bunch Scallions chopped
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- ½ Cup Parsley Leaves
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
whole-grain crackers, for serving
- Chop the rotisserie chicken into small bite-size pieces
- Wash the celery stalks and chop them into 1-inch pieces, then chop one of the avocados and squeeze over 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Place the chicken pieces, celery, avocado, and scallions to a salad bowl.
- In a blender, combine the remaining avocado flesh together with the sour cream, mustard, parsley, lemon juice, and zest blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the prepared creamy dressing on top of the chicken and veggies. Season with some salt and pepper, toss until well combined.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.