Strawberries and Cream Protein Overnight Oats is a delicious, satisfying breakfast made with rolled oats, chia seeds, milk, Greek yogurt, protein powder, honey, and strawberries! Each serving has 40 grams of protein and is perfect for meal prep!
Strawberry season is here and we’re going to be enjoying Strawberries and Cream Protein Overnight Oats all summer long! In this recipe, we’re taking our classic protein oats and adding fresh, juicy strawberries in every bite. They’re creamy, and fruity, and taste just like strawberry shortcake in oatmeal form.
If you’ve never tried overnight oats before, it’s time to give them a try because this strawberries and cream flavor is AMAZING.
Why you will love this recipe
- Simple & convenient: With this method there’s no need to heat up the oats on the stovetop or in the microwave. You only need 5 minutes of prep time, then the oats soak in the fridge with all the other ingredients, and as they sit, the combination becomes soft, creamy, and pudding-like.
- Incredibly tasty: Juicy, ripe berries with yogurt and vanilla protein powder reminds me of strawberry shortcake. So delicious with the best creamy, rich texture!
- Good for you: According to Healthline, oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They’re naturally gluten-free and a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. In addition, this oatmeal recipe is filled with healthy fats from the chia seeds and extra protein from the Greek yogurt and protein powder. You will stay satiated for hours!
- Great for meal prep: Double this recipe and make a breakfast that will last you all week! You’ll have a portable morning meal that’s ready to go when you head out the door!
This protein overnight oats recipe is easy to make with just 7 simple, wholesome ingredients. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Strawberries: Chopped or pureed fresh strawberries get mixed right into the creamy base of the overnight oats and then add more on top before enjoying!
- Oats: Old-fashioned rolled oats will give you a nice chewy texture. You can use quick oats, but they will have a softer, mushier consistency. Steel-cut oats will not work for this recipe, as they are much too hard.
- Chia seeds: These will help to thicken up the oats and give them more volume. They also add healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
- Milk: You can use any preferred milk that you enjoy.
- Yogurt: For major creaminess! Use Greek yogurt for an extra protein boost or plant-based yogurt to keep this recipe vegan and dairy free.
- Protein powder: We like the flavor of vanilla whey protein but any favorite variety will work.
- Honey: To perfectly sweeten the oats and add a lovely flavor. Feel free to substitute with another preferred sweetener, like maple syrup or stevia.
How to make this recipe
- Blend the strawberries: In a blender, add the strawberries, puree, and set aside. Alternatively, you may chop them into very small pieces.
- Mix ingredients: In a large bowl, add the oats, chia seeds, milk, yogurt, honey, and protein powder. Mix to combine.
- Chill oatmeal: Cover the mixture and allow it to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Transfer to jars: Remove and assemble the 2 jars into layers if desired. Layer the jars with protein oats and pureed strawberries.
- Refrigerate & serve: Top with more sliced strawberries, if preferred. Cover and store in the fridge for another 3-4 hours or overnight. Serve and enjoy.
- You can use frozen berries, that have been thawed, to make the puree. If you’re not making them into a puree, but just chopping them into small pieces, we recommend fresh berries.
- Prefer warm oatmeal? Feel free to serve these overnight oats warmed up, too! Heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute or two, depending on how warm you’d like them. Once heated, stir and add a bit more milk, as needed.
- All of the ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten-free, however, to ensure your oats are gluten-free, buy a brand that is labeled certified gluten-free.
- To make this recipe vegan and dairy free, use dairy-free yogurt, plant-based milk, and a vegan protein powder.
Frequently asked questions
This specific recipe for overnight oats is packed with a whopping 40 grams of protein because we’re adding in protein powder and using Greek yogurt.
Most overnight oats recipes, including this one, are filled with good-for-you ingredients. This recipe uses a combination of ingredients for a good balance of healthy fats, fiber, carbs, and protein. One serving will fill you up and keep you satisfied for hours!
For many of our overnight oats recipes, we like to use both milk and yogurt. Adding about 1/2 cup of milk per serving gives these the perfect texture, not too thick and not too liquidy. The yogurt makes these even more hearty and extra creamy.
You can easily customize protein overnight oats to make them your own! Here are some options:
- Instead of using strawberries, other fruits work great too! Try raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, mango, or peaches.
- We typically use plain Greek yogurt, however, other flavors of yogurt like vanilla or berry-flavored yogurt would be great too!
- Top your oats with more chopped strawberries or try other topping options. We love unsweetened coconut flakes, banana slices, almond butter, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, and/or granola.
Keep protein overnight oats stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or in mason jars for up to 4 to 5 days. You can even store them in almost empty peanut butter containers for extra flavor. When you’re ready to enjoy, give the mixture a good stir and add an extra splash of milk.
More overnight oats recipes to try
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats
- Healthy PB&J Overnight Oats Recipe
- Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats
- Espresso Overnight Oats
Also, If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Strawberries and Cream Protein Overnight Oats
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup rolled oats or quick oats
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt preferably or vanilla plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons vanilla whey protein powder or protein of choice
- 1 tbsp honey
- In a blender, add the strawberries, puree, and set aside. Alternatively, you may chop them into very small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, chia seeds, milk, yogurt, honey, and protein powder. Mix to combine.
- Cover and allow mixture to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove and assemble the 2 jars into layers if desired. Layer the jars with the protein oats and pureed strawberries.
- Top with more sliced strawberries, if preferred. Cover and store in the fridge for another 3-4 hours or overnight. Serve and enjoy.
- Store in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to four to five days.
- you can mash the strawberries with a fork instead of blending it.
- use any either quick oats or rolled oats
- Any protein of your choice as long as its whey protein