Creamy Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats make for a great nutritious and filling breakfast. These oats taste amazing, complete with coconut, bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate chips! Make them the night before and have a delicious meal ready in the morning.
These Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats are seriously what breakfast dreams are made of. Thick, creamy, nutrient-rich, and full of incredible flavor!
Overnight oatmeal is one of our favorite healthy breakfast options. It’s quick + easy to make, great to customize, and loaded with good-for-you ingredients. One serving will leave you fueled and satiated for hours. This recipe features shredded coconut, coconut yogurt, bananas, peanut butter, and mini chocolate chips. We are obsessed with the coconut/peanut butter/ banana/chocolate flavor! So good!
Why you’ll love this overnight oats recipe
- Quick and easy: Overnight oats are super convenient! Take about 5 minutes in the evening to meal prep this recipe and wake up to major deliciousness that can be enjoyed throughout the week.
- So tasty: Coconut flavors are combined with a blend of bananas and peanut butter, finished with crunchy chocolate chips for breakfast that tastes more like dessert.
- Filling and nutritious: Oats, nut butter, chia seeds, yogurt, and bananas are filled with vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and plenty of fiber for a well-balanced meal or snack.
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats are packed with nutritious ingredients and when combined make for a hearty, satisfying breakfast with a good balance of fat, protein, and carbs. Here’s the lineup:
- Rolled oats: Old-fashioned rolled oats create the best chewy texture for this easy overnight oats recipe. Steel-cut oats are overly chewy and don’t soften enough; quick oats absorb more liquid, leaving you with the less overall texture. Be sure to use gluten-free oats, as needed.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds provide a boost in protein, fiber, and omega-3s and make this oatmeal super thick and filling.
- Sweetener: A combination of coconut sugar and dark maple syrup naturally sweetens the oats.
- Shredded coconut: To keep the sugar content down, we recommend using unsweetened coconut. Along with the oats, the coconut softens a great deal overnight. If you’d rather have fresh coconut flakes, leave them out of the overnight mixture and use them as a topping the next morning.
- Milk: Coconut milk pairs really well with all of the flavors in this recipe, but feel free to use any dairy-free milk. Almond, oat, hemp, cashew, or soy are all great milk options.
- Coconut yogurt: We love using coconut yogurt to keep this recipe vegan, but feel free to use any kind you like.
- Bananas: For that classic chunky monkey flavor and natural sweetness. Make sure the bananas are ripe.
- Nut butter: Creamy peanut butter makes these oats super creamy, and filling, and adds the perfect nutty flavor.
- Chocolate chips: Either dark or milk chocolate chips are great for these oats. The chocolate chips provide extra rich chocolate flavors that you will love.
How to make this oatmeal recipe
First, measure all of the ingredients to save yourself some time. Separate everything and have everything ready to be combined.
Next, add the first 6 ingredients to a bowl or medium glass container; whisk well to combine.
Cover and allow the oat mixture to sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Once the oats are ready, divide them into 4 or 5 jars. Mix with the toppings and serve.
Recipe notes and tips
Follow these tips to make sure you create the best overnight oats!
- To keep this recipe vegan, be sure to use dairy-free milk and yogurt. Also, be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips.
- For extra protein, stir a scoop of protein powder into the oats. It can be plant-based protein. You may also need a little bit of extra milk too.
- We only recommend using old-fashioned rolled oats for this recipe.
- Can’t have peanuts? You can simply leave out the peanut butter or use any other nut/seed butter. Almond butter works great and sunflower seed butter is allergy friendly. Also, if preferred feel free to use crunchy nut or seed butter.
Frequently asked questions
Soaking oats for at least 8 hours or overnight is recommended for the best texture and consistency. However, if you’re in a pinch for time, you can actually soak the oats for just 2-4 hours with good results. The oats will become more thick and creamy as they absorb the liquid over time, so if you soak them for just 2 hours, they won’t have quite the same volume that they would if you soaked them for 8+ hours. They will still be delicious, though!
No cooking is required! The oats expand and ‘cook’ overnight in the fridge as they soak up the liquid from the yogurt and milk. In the morning they will be creamy, flavorful and so perfect.
This recipe for coconut, peanut butter, and banana overnight oats is a very nutritious breakfast because it’s a great balance of healthy fats, fiber, carbs, and protein. They will keep you feeling full and satisfied until lunch.
Absolutely! These are typically eaten cold or chilled, but if you prefer your oats warm, you can heat them up in the microwave for a minute or so before eating them. Just be sure to stir after heating them for the best consistency.
One of the best things about overnight oats is that they’ll stay good in the refrigerator in an airtight container or mason jar for up to 4 to 5 days. This makes them great for meal prep, portable, and easy to enjoy on the go during busy weekdays. Just be sure to give them a good stir if they’ve been sitting for a couple of days and/or add another splash of milk.
More overnight oats recipes to try
If you love these chunky monkey overnight oats, then you will love the oat recipes below!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats
- Healthy PB&J Overnight Oats Recipe
- Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Banana Bread Overnight Oatmeal
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 bananas diced or sliced
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- To a medium glass container, add the first 6 ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Cover and allow it to sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Once the oats are ready, divide into 4 or 5 jars. Mix with the toppings and serve.
- Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- We do not recommend quick oats for this recipe.
- Can be made vegan by using dairy-free chocolate chips