This easy Chickpea Salad is a healthy and refreshing vegetarian salad recipe that’s loaded with delicious fresh vegetables and then tossed in a zesty Mediterranean dressing. They are perfect to enjoy as is or served for lunch or dinner.
You will be amazed at how flavorful this protein-packed chickpea salad is. Made with a Mediterranean twist, it is loaded with a variety of fresh vegetables, chickpeas, feta, and some artichoke hearts. So easy to make, packed with dietary fiber, so tasty and oh so filling. You may serve this Gluten-free Mediterranean chickpea salad for lunch or dinner, or serve it as a side dish with some Grilled Chicken or Salmon. Want to make this vegetarian chickpea salad a vegan salad? Skip the feta cheese.
How to make Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Prep and cut all veggies: First, start by prepping all the vegetables and place them in a large bowl.
- Add in other ingredients: Add in the chickpeas, olives, feta, fresh herbs, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Make Dressing: Next, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, honey, garlic, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss and Serve: When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or lemon juice, if necessary. Enjoy!
How to make the Mediterranean Salad dressing
To make a Mediterranean style chickpea salad dressing, you will need the following ingredients:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
One tbsp. honey
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano or fresh is fine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the above ingredients in a bowl, then using a small whisker or spoon, mix thoroughly until combined. Then pour over salad and toss.
How long does chickpea salad last
You may store your leftover chickpea salad in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days. It may be ok for a day or so longer but expect the tomatoes and cucumbers to be quite soggy. We do not recommend freezing this Healthy Mediterranean chickpea salad mainly because the ingredients used just don’t freeze well.
Do you need to wash canned Chickpea
Even though they may be safe for us to eat, we always recommend draining and washing canned chickpeas or any canned beans for that matter. This step will wash off any excess sodium or added preservatives in the slimy liquid it comes in.
Can you eat chickpeas raw
Canned chickpeas are already pre-cooked before they are canned for consumer use. So once you open a canned chickpea and you drain and wash, they are ready to eat. So it is ok to toss them in with salads, add in any recipes like Curry soups, roast them, or make homemade hummus. Dried chickpeas that come in bags are completely hard and raw and need to be cooked before you eat.
What to serve with chickpea salad
Don’t want to eat this Mediterranean chickpea salad as is and looking for some sides to serve it with? Here are some ideas:
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Oven Roasted Maple Turkey Breast
- Crispy Baked Salmon
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Beef Tenderloin Roast
- Crispy Baked Chicken Cutlets
Let us know how you like any of our recipes when you try them in the comment section below. We love your feedback and love seeing all your remakes so tag us on social media! Also, if you make this Mediterranean Chicpea Salad and you love it, please rate it and share it with friends and family!
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Roasted Cilantro Chickpea Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 15 oz One Can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Large Sweet Pepper or Bell Pepper stems and seeds removed
- 1 English Cucumber halved lengthwise and cut into rough chunks
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes halved
- ½ medium Red Onion diced
- ½ Cup Pitted Black or Kalamata Olives roughly chopped
- ½ Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Oregano
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- ¾ Cup Brined Artichokes chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start by prepping all the vegetables and place them in a large bowl. Add in the chickpeas, olives, feta, fresh herbs, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Next, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, honey, garlic, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or lemon juice, if necessary. Enjoy!
- Any tomatoes will do
- You may use white onion if you don't have any red
- Maple Syrup in place of honey