Jamaican jerk seasoning is a great addition to chicken, seafood, meats, and pasta recipes! Made from your kitchen for a healthier, and long-term cheaper version than store-bought. Made in less than 10 minutes with 13 ingredients.
Who doesn’t love flavorful proteins and veggies? This homemade jerk seasoning recipe elevates any dish and brings it to a whole new level stacked with flavor.
A little sweet with a bit of heat, this savory spice blend is the perfect addition to your next dinner recipe. Flavors of onion, garlic, cayenne, paprika, and more are combined to create a healthier version of your favorite seasoning.
Ingredients you will need
Made with a combination of fresh spices and herbs, learning how to make jerk seasoning has never been easier!
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Hot pepper flakes
How To Make Jerk Seasoning Less Spicy
If you’re not a fan of the heat or kids are going to be eating this jerk spice blend, then you can make it less spicy. Just remove the cayenne and hot pepper flakes for a milder flavor.
How To Use Jerk Seasoning
Use this jerk spice blend as a dry rub for specific proteins and veggies to make them as flavorful as ever.
- Season chicken
- Sprinkle it over fish
- Season vegetables
- Use it on beef
- Stews, soups, and braised dishes
How To Make Your Own Jerk Seasoning
First, measure all of the spices and herbs with measuring spoons. Next, prepare your workstation.
Add all of the spices and herbs to a shallow bowl or plate. Next, with a spoon or whisk, mix the jerk spice blend until well combined.
Transfer the seasoning to a closed jar or container and store it away from direct sunlight until ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, jerk seasoning is delicious on chicken and all types of fresh protein. You can use the spice mix as a dry rub.
Since this recipe has cayenne and red pepper flakes, this jerk seasoning is considered hot. You can omit the spicy ingredients if you would like less heat.
Plantains, rice, potatoes, salsa, salad, veggies, etc.
Notes and Substitutions
- Onion powder – don’t omit it if possible
- Garlic powder – don’t omit it if possible
- Cayenne – add more or less depending on how spicy you like it
- Ginger – a warming spice, that can’t be omitted for fresh
- Allspice – known as Jamaica pepper, can be substituted with cloves if you don’t have it at home
- Coconut sugar – add any sugar you like
- Smoked paprika – can be substituted for regular paprika
- Salt – add more, less, or omit
- Pepper – add more, less, or omit
- Hot pepper flakes – add more for more spice, or less for less
- Cinnamon – don’t omit it for the best flavor
- Parsley – don’t omit for the best flavor
- Thyme – don’t omit for the best flavor
More Recipes You Will Enjoy
Healthy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Recipes you may love
- Healthy Lasagna Soup
- Easy Beef Pot Roast
- Garlic Roasted Veggies
- Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Honey Balsamic Glazed Carrots
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
How To Make Jerk Seasoning
- measuring spoons
- 1 shallow bowl
- 1 whisk or spoon
- 1 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ Tablespoon cayenne
- ½ Tablespoon ginger
- ½ Tablespoon allspice
- ½ Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Add all the ingredients to a shallow bowl or a plate.
- Mix to combine.
- Transfer to a closed jar/container and store away from direct sunlight.
Leave A Reply