This Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding recipe is so easy to put together and the end result is so delicious. They are vegan and you can now have your chocolate pudding without any guilt! The taste is so creamy and rich.
You could make this healthy chocolate chia pudding recipe into popsicles for the kids as well. A healthier treat for spring and summer time that you can make at home as opposed to getting store-bought. Have this guilt-free dessert any time of the day and not worry too much about how unhealthy pudding is!
why this is so good
- Vegan friendly. You can make this with coconut or almond milk and it’s just as creamy and delicious!
- Healthier dessert. Despite their small size, chia seeds are full of important nutrients and this pudding is packed with them! But why have it just for dessert? This is healthy and hearty enough for breakfast.
- Chocolate lover’s rejoice! This has a lovely creamy, chocolatey flavor, naturally sweetened with maple syrup – delicious.
- Cocoa Powder
- Chia Seeds: Packed with goodness!
- Maple Syrup: A great natural sweetener.
- Milk: You can use almond, coconut or skim milk.
- Optional Garnishes: Coconut whipped cream, raspberries, mint sprigs
How to make this chocolate chia pudding
In a bowl, whisk chia seeds, cocoa powder, maple syrup and almond milk until the cocoa dissolves. Then cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Top with garnish, serve and enjoy!
What is Chia Pudding made of?
Chia pudding is made out of chia seeds as the main ingredient that makes it into a pudding consistency. It has a creamy and thick texture and it is most often compared to Tapioca Pudding. Chia seeds itself has no flavor so the flavor of the pudding will be whatever you choose it to be. Meaning what liquids did you use and what did you add to it? For this pudding recipe, the flavor will be mostly chocolate! You can make it as sweet as you like and add any flavors you prefer.
Are Chia Seeds Healthy?
Despite their small size, chia seeds are full of important nutrients. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, rich in antioxidants, and they provide fiber, iron, and calcium. Omega-3 fatty acids help raise HDL cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol.
how long does this chocolate chia pudding last?
Chocolate Chia Pudding can be left in the fridge for about 4-5 days. This makes for an easy treat to make in a batch and enjoy over the course of a week!
If you make a large batch, you could even freeze it, then thaw as needed (for when the craving strikes). Simply freeze the pudding in small containers, then thaw it in the fridge for 6-8 hours before you’re ready to eat. You can store chia seed pudding in the freezer for up to 2 months.
recipes notes & tips
- For a smoother texture… blitz it! If you don’t like the tapioca consistency of chia pudding and want a smoother, more mousse-like texture, you can blitz it all together in a high-powered blender until it’s smooth.
- Is your pudding is too thin? You can add more chia seeds and let it sit for 30 minutes more; if it’s too thick, try adding a touch more almond milk.
- If you notice your chia seeds aren’t starting to gel and thicken after 10 minutes, you may have dud chia seeds. This can happen in they’ve been sitting in your pantry a while. Keep an eye on the expiry date.
- Make sure to refrigerate for at least two hours.
other chia recipes
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive all my new recipes like this Chocolate Chia Pudding recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups almond milk coconut milk, or skim milk
- Optional garnishes: coconut whipped cream raspberries, mint sprigs
- Place cocoa powder, chia seeds, maple syrup and almond milk in a bowl.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth and cocoa powder has dissolved approximately 3 minutes.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until mixture has thickened.
- Serve, topped with coconut whipped cream, raspberries and mint sprigs if desired.