This Swiss and Cheddar Cheese Fondue is easy to make, silky smooth, and perfect to make for a romantic date, and for sharing with friends and loved ones at any events or gatherings. Ready in just 15 minutes, this cheese fondue recipe is the ultimate appetizer for cheese lovers.
This Easy Cheese Fondue recipe has a little twist to the classic cheese appetizer. It is made with both swiss and cheddar cheese and without any wine. It requires very little ingredients with simple steps and can be ready in just 15 minutes. This is the best cheese fondue to make and take to any potluck and great for any occasion. We will be showing you how to make easy cheese fondue at home and give you tips on the best cheeses to use and what to use for dippers.
Why this Easy Cheese Fondue is so good
- Easy! It really lives up to its name, only a handful of ingredients needed, 15 mins from the pantry to table.
- Delicious: An scrumptious blend of cheddar and swiss cheese, lightly spiced with nutmeg.
- The Perfect Part Dip: This looks great, tastes great and you can surround the dip with all kinds of a dipper, from veggies to crackers, a real crowd-pleaser.
- Milk: I used 2%, gives a good consistency.
- Cheese: I’ve used cheddar for a nice sharpness and Swiss cheese for a sweet, nutty flavor. Ideally grate your own cheese, as pre-shredded doesn’t melt as well.
- Cornstarch: To thicken.
- Kosher Salt: To taste.
- Nutmeg: Freshly ground gives the best flavor.
- Dippers: oat crackers, apples, boiled potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, etc
How to make Easy Cheese Fondue
- Thicken Milk: Place the milk and freshly grated nutmeg in a saucepan over medium-low heat. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with water until fully dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and stir, simmering over low heat until thickens, 4-5 minutes.
- Add Cheese: Once the milk mixture is thick, add in the shredded cheeses and stir until melted.
- Season: Finally, season with salt to your taste, then transfer the cheese fondue to a bowl.
- Serve: Place the bowl on a large platter along with your favorite dippers (cut and prep veggies and fruits ahead). Enjoy!
What to dip in cheese fondue
You may get as creative as you like when it comes to the different dippers you can use for cheese fondue. But, we have gathered a few options for you to consider to help you decide what to serve with your fondue.
- Apples, Pairs, and Pineapple
- Bread, Crackers, Pretzels, Chips
- Filet Mignon
- Broccoli, Cauliflower, Celery
- Roasted or Steamed Potatoes or Brussel Sprouts
- Bell Peppers, Carrots, Parsnips, tomatoes, pickles
Which cheese is good for fondue?
Our fondue recipe calls for Swiss and Cheddar Cheese. Classic cheese fondue recipe is made with swiss cheese. There are so many different types of swiss cheese that will work well for fondue. The most commonly used cheeses for fondue are Emmentaler and Gruyere.
Here are a few other melty cheese options: Blue cheese, Beaufort, Appenzeller, Brie, Comté, and Tête de Moine.
If you have any leftover, store in a container and place it in the fridge. To reheat, add some milk with a tiny bit of salt, then either add to the microwave to reheat or place it in a pot and reheat over your stovetop at low heat.
It can certainly be frozen for later use. It may lose some of its fresh flavors but will still be fine to freeze for later use. Let it thaw out in the fridge the night before reheating. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- It is best to buy fresh and good grade cheese
- Always use soft and easy to melt cheeses that have a high-fat content to get that rich and smooth flavor.
- We recommend you shred your own cheese at home. Do not buy shredded cheese or try to cut them in chunks.
- You may add 1-2 teaspoon of grainy mustard
Other easy recipes to check out
- Chili Mac and Cheese
- How To Make The Best Cheese Board
- Keto Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Zucchini Enchilada Roll-Ups
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Easy Cheese Fondue Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Cheese Fondue
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Cold Water
- ½ Tsp Kosher Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp Freshly Ground Nutmeg or to taste
- Dippers for fondue: oat crackers, apples, boiled potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, etc
- Place the milk and freshly grated nutmeg in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with water until fully dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and stir, simmering over low heat until thickens, 4-5 minutes.
- Once the milk mixture is thick, add in the shredded cheeses and stir until melted.
- Season with salt to your taste, then transfer the cheese fondue to a bowl.
- Place the bowl on a large platter along with your favorite dippers. Enjoy!