This easy White Chicken Chili recipe is hearty, healthy, easy to make, loaded with juicy shredded chicken, and made with 4 different types of beans. An easy dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy, and perfect for a cold night!
We love soups at our house and this is the season for warm and comforting soup recipes. This white chicken chili recipe is one of our favorite soups along with my Easy Chicken Chili recipe.
Often times, most soups come as a complete meal like this chicken chili recipe which is loaded with protein and good carbs. It should be filling and satisfying which makes it a perfect dinner option.
White chicken chili soup is a great way to get rid of leftover chicken. Plus it is super easy to make and can be ready in no time. It is a delicious and flavorful meal that I promise the kids will love to have for dinner. I love how quick and easy it is to make this chicken chili recipe.
How to make the best white chicken chili recipe
I used shredded rotisserie chicken for this white chicken chili recipe, but you can use any leftover chicken you have or simply prepare some the day before and have it ready. To make life even easier, grab one at the store!
Once you have all your ingredients together you are ready to get the ball rolling.
Sautee the onions first for a few minutes until they are soft. Then go ahead and add all the other ingredients in the pot if you like. Allow it to start bowling then simmer down for about 15 minutes and serve!
This is seriously the BEST white Chicken chili recipe ever. Plus they are easy to make and healthy!
Crockpot or slow cooker white chicken chili
If you would like to know how to make this white chicken chili recipe in a crockpot or slowcooker it’s quite simple. You can leave the ingredients the way they are add everything into the crockpot or slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for about 2 hours and on LOW for about 4 hours. If you are using dry beans, I recommend cooking on high for 4 hours and low for 8 hours or until the beans are cooked through.
HOW TO THICKEN WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
There are a few ways you can thicken your white chicken chili. Either way you go won’t make or break your recipe.
- Simmer – the first one being you just allow it to simmer down.
- Cornmeal – You can also add some cornmeal to the chicken chili soup to give you that thicker consistency.
- Blend or Puree– Another way to thicken the soup would be to blend or puree some of the BEANS and adding it into the soup.
- Cornstarch– This method always comes in handy, just make sure you mix say about one tablespoon seperatly with cold water before you add it in.
- Flour – Flour can also be used. Go for about 1-2 tablespoons of wheat flour.
WHAT BEANS TO USE FOR WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
White chicken chili gets the name white from using white beans. In my white chicken chili recipe, I tried to tone it up a notch and make it more fun by using 4 different types of beans. You can certainly only use white beans if you like. It is what is commonly used.
CAN YOU FREEZE WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
It is fine to freeze some leftover chicken chili or premade uncooked chicken chili. If you are freezing the ingredients to be cooked later, make sure you use a good sealable freezer bag. Cooked chicken chili can freeze well for up to 4 months and precooked ingredients for up to 6-8 months.
HOW DO YOU SHRED CHICKEN BREAST
Allow freshly cooked chicken breast to cool down and use two forks to shred or pull them apart. What I personally do is use my hands. Whether I am using a rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken or freshly cooked chicken breast, I find it much easier to use my hands. I have seen some use a hand blender as well!
DO YOU DRAIN BEANS FOR WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
Some don’t drain the beans so they use that water as a thickening agent in their soup. I don’t prefer to do this. I like to drain and rinse beans and all canned products if I am using them. A lot of times I use fresh beans that I soak overnight and cook ahead. But sometimes when I am in a hurry and ready to cook something up with my limited time I use canned. But yes I do drain the beans!
Toppings to use for chicken chili soup
You can enjoy your chicken chili soup without any toppings, but some do like to add some extra flavor to their soup and top it up with a variety of cool stuff like:
- Crushed Corn Tortilla
- Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- Freshly Chopped Cilantro
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Chopped or Sliced Avocado
Other amazing soup recipes you can check out:
- Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Southwest Turkey Chili Recipe
- Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Crockpot Lentil and Mushroom soup
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this white chicken chili soup Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Best White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 1 medium White Onion diced
- 1-2 Jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander Seed
- 1 4.5oz Can Green Chilies or salsa verde
- 3 Cup Shredded Rotisserie Chicken Breasts
- 5 Cups Homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup White Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Garbanzo Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- Full-fat Greek yogurt, freshly chopped cilantro, shredded Monterey Jack, chopped avocado, crushed corn tortilla chips, etc.
- Heat oil in a large pot, over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in jalapeño, garlic, oregano, cumin, and cilantro and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the green chilis, beans, chicken, and broth, then bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the chili soup into bowls and top with desired toppings. Enjoy!