This Roasted Pumpkin Soup recipe is an easy vegetarian soup recipe that’s wholesome, delicious and a perfect side dish the whole family can enjoy. Full of flavor, filling, and so satisfying.
This pumpkin soup recipe is an easy and comforting dish that’s made with simple fall ingredients. It has a hint of naturally sweet flavors from using carrots and it is so filling and delicious. They are quite easy to make, hearty, gluten-free, and can be made vegan-friendly (please see my substitute options below). It’s a winter comfort food option at its best. We love this pumpkin soup recipe so much it is on ur weekly dinner menu throughout fall.
Why you will love this pumpkin soup
- So Delicious: The taste of this soup will get you to want to go for more than one bowl. So good!
- Filling and healthy: Made with heart-healthy ingredients, this pumpkin soup is so filling and good for you.
- Easy to make: In less than an hour, you will have a tasty and hearty soup recipe that even the kids will love.
Ingredients you will need
- Pumpkin or butternut squash halved and seeded: use fresh instead of canned
- Garlic Cloves: use fresh garlic
- Avocado oil spray: or any other oil spray.
- Sweet Onion peeled and diced
- Large Carrots peeled and chopped
- Celery Stalks chopped
- Smoked Paprika: or plain paprika if you don’t have smoked
- Olive Oil: or any other oil of choice.
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Homemade or store-bought low-sodium veggie broth
How to make this pumpkin soup
Peel and cut pumpkins into smaller sizes, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook all the other veggies in a pan for about 5-6 minutes. Add spiced and broth, bring to boil, and allow to cook for a few more minutes.
Then, remove from heat and puree using a hand blender. Add toppings and enjoy.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. It also depends on what ingredients are put into your pumpkin soup. Most pumpkin soups are quite healthy and made with simple and fresh ingredients. Pumpkins, in general, are good for you and for heart health. They are loaded with fiber, potassium, and vitamin C which have been shown to support the heart and regulate blood pressure.
Most vegetable or pumpkin soup recipes that have already been cooked should last 3-4 days in the fridge. If you would like to keep your pumpkin soon longer, place it in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Even though the skins of either pumpkins or squash are edible, it is best to peel them for a soup recipe. This is because some pumpkin skins might be too tough and not cook through well enough. So it’s best to just peel them.
Pumpkin Soup Substitutes
There are some substitutes that can be done for this roasted pumpkin soup recipe if needed
Pumpkin: Can’t find any fresh pumpkins, it’s ok to use pureed canned pumpkins, or alternatively you can use butternut squash. It’s preferred to use fresh if you can.
Dairy: We used Greek Yogurt in this recipe. You can use light sour cream or for a vegan option, use coconut yogurt, coconut cream, or any other dairy-free yogurt.
Check out these other recipes below
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Crockpot Lentil and Mushroom Soup
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donuts
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Truffles
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 2½ lbs Pumpkin or butternut squash halved and seeded
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves unpeeled
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 Sweet Onion peeled and diced
- 2 Large Carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Cups Homemade or store-bought low-sodium veggie broth
- plain yogurt, pumpkin seeds, sliced scallions, fresh chopped herbs
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut the pumpkin into 2-inch pieces and place them into the prepared baking tray, together with the garlic cloves.
- Season with salt and pepper, and lightly spray with avocado oil to coat, then spread into a single layer.
- Place the tray on the middle rack of the oven, and roast until pumpkin is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the remaining veggies. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and sauté until softens, about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the smoked paprika, roasted pumpkin, and garlic (pop it out from the skins). Pour in the broth and bring to the boil, then continue to cook for a couple of minutes or so.
- Take it off the heat, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with desired toppings. Enjoy!
STACY HOBGOOD says
The best way I found for me to roast any pumpkin or squash is to leave it whole. Just pop it in the oven on a baking sheet with parchment, bake it let the pumpkin cool and and all the skin and seeds come right off and out! Whala!
But how big is a “decent bowl”? 2 cups? 1 cup?
Rena Awada says
Should be 2 cups
Absolutely delicious , my husband cooked it for the first time ( so easy lol) thanks I love your recipes !
Gio from France
Thanks for the feedback Gio! Glad you both loved it.
Looking forward to making this… I don’t liked smoked things, is there anything you can substitute for the smoked paprika?
you can use regular or mild paprika.
Arpita Patel says
Looks so delicious Rena! I love making pumpkin and squash soup as they are so naturally creamy! I also love adding cinnamon for a touch of warmth and sweetness!
My first try and I’m absolutely love this soup. Thanks for this amazing recipe
We are glad to hear you loved this recipe
Arpita Patel says
I made this soup for a group of friends. One whom is Vegan. Everyone absolutely love it and everyone asked for the recipe.
This is the best pumpkin soup I have every eaten!!!