An easy Lentil Soup recipe that’s vegan, hearty, and a comforting meal that’s perfect for cold weather. It is definitely a great addition to your dinner table. They are so easy to make and Gluten-free.
This slow cooker vegan lentil soup recipe comes together in no time with little effort! It is a budget-friendly vegan soup recipe, that’s filling, warming, flavorful, and so satisfying. All made in one pot, it is a great make-ahead recipe and stores well for later use. Enjoy a perfect healthy bowl of soup that’s loaded with nutritious ingredients. Makes for a perfect meatless Monday recipe. A simple and healthy lentil kale soup that the whole family will enjoy will be a great addition to add to your dinner table as a host.
HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SOUP
There are a few ways you can make this easy vegan lentil soup recipe. We will discuss how to make it in your slow cooker and your stovetop.
How to make lentil soup in a crockpot or slow cooker:
- Prepare lentils: Remove any damaged lentils and stones from the lentils. Place the lentils into a colander and rinse well under cold running water to remove any dirt or other debris.
- Place in the slow cooker: In a 6-quart or larger slow cooker, combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Cook: Cover and cook on LOW setting until the lentils and veggies are tender, about 8 hours.
- Serve: Prior to serving, remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley and lime wedges.
How to make lentil soup on the stovetop
- Sautee: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Next, add leek and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add lentil and veggies: Stir in lentils, carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf.
- Boil: Cover and bring the mixture to a boil, once the mixture starts to bubble immediately reduce the heat and let simmer on low until soup is thick, for about 25-30 minutes.
- Add Kale and cook: Next, stir in the kale and cook, for 6-8 minutes more. Once the soup is done discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Serve: Taste and adjust the salt according to your taste. Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley and lime wedges.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If we don’t cover any of the questions that you may have left us your questions in the comment section below.
Is lentil soup healthy and good for you
The quick answer is yes! Lentils are packed with vitamin B, iron and folate, a great source of plant-based protein, and low in calories. Learn more about lentils and their benefits here. Let’s list a few health benefits of lentils:
- High in fiber which supports regular bowel movement
- A great source of plant-based protein
- Strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Supports weight loss
Can you freeze lentil soup
Lentil soup that’s vegan-based is a great recipe to make ahead and freeze for later use. They last up to 3-4 months frozen. Simply thaw and reheat either in your microwave or on your stovetop. Store in individual serving containers so you don’t have to thaw all of the lentil soup when you only need to reheat 1-2 servings at a time.
Do lentils need to be soaked
It is not required to soak lentils before cooking even though some people like to do this and believe that it will reduce the cooking time by half. Some also believe that soaking will eliminate gas-producing compounds and this reduces your chance of bloating. You may soak your lentils for 30 minutes or so in cold water, removing any debris that floats. Again, this step is really not necessary. Simply rinsing lentils before cooking would be enough. Green and brown lentils cook fairly quickly.
Is lentil soup keto
Lentil has high amounts of carbs. Even though they are what we like to call “good carbs”, they are not appropriate to eat if you are on the keto diet.
How long does lentil soup last
Vegan or vegetarian Lentil soup will last 5-7 days in the fridge in a tightly sealed container. They will last 3-4 months in the freezer. Simply reheat in the microwave or allow it to thaw in the fridge before reheating on your stovetop.
What to serve with lentil soup
Lentil soup in itself could be a complete and filling meal. Want to serve it with something? There are some options:
- Naan Bread or toasted whole-grain bread
- Pita or healthy whole-grain crackers for dipping
- Side of roasted veggies
- Some sort of salad
- Add some protein! Try shredded cooked chicken breast, cooked sausage, beef chunks
Making this Vegan Lentil and Kale soup? We want to hear all about any tweaks you made to it and how you liked it! Leave us a comment in the comment section below. Also, if you loved this lentil soup recipe, please share it with your friends and family on social media!
Love soup? Check out these amazing soup recipes:
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Easy Creamy Potato Corn Soup with Shrimp
- Italian Chicken Veggie Soup
- Crockpot Lentil and Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Creamy Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 2 Cups Whole Lentils dried French lentils, or also known as Du puy
- 5 Cups Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 Large Carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 3 Cups Chopped Kale Leaves
- 1 Leek sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt or to taste
- ¼ Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Parsley
- Lemon or lime slices to serve
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Remove any damaged lentils and stones from the lentils.
- Place the lentils into a colander and rinse well under cold running water to remove any dirt or other debris.
- In a 6-quart or larger slow cooker, combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW setting until the lentils and veggies are tender, about 8 hours.
- Prior to serving, remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley and lime wedges.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add leek and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in lentils, carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil, once the mixture starts to bubble immediately reduce the heat and let simmer on low until soup is thick, for about 25-30 minutes.
- Next, stir in the kale and cook, for 6-8 minutes more. Once the soup is done discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Taste and adjust the salt according to your taste. Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley and lime wedges.
- Cook time based on how long it takes to cook on your stovetop
- Using the slow cooker, cook time is 6-8 hours.
- For stovetop, use green or brown lentils. They tend to cook faster and you get a thicker consistency.