A tasty Creamy Potato Soup made with corn, potatoes, and topped with sauteed shrimps. Made without any dairy, this easy healthy soup recipe is thick, hearty, and perfect as a weeknight meal all year round.
Made with either fresh or frozen corn, this easy homemade potato soup recipe is made with chicken broth, so creamy, flavorful, and comforting. The added sauteed shrimps make it a complete well-balanced meal with enough protein to fill you up. It is dairy-free, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan. So, if you like to make this recipe a vegan potato soup, simply omit the shrimps and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO CORN SOUP
- PREP: Thoroughly wash and peel the potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces.
- ADD IN POT: Place a soup pot over medium heat and add in the corn together with chopped potatoes, leek, and chicken stock. Gently stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are super tender.
- BLEND AND COOK: Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy, then season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- COOK SHRIMP: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat until shimmering. Add shrimps and sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Cook until opaque through, about 2-3 minutes.
- SERVE: Pour the soup into bowls, top with cooked shrimp. Garnish with parsley/cilantro and chili flakes if desired and serve next to lemon wedges. Enjoy!
A few tips and substitutions
- Use any broth, for vegan or vegetarian potato soup option use vegetable broth.
- Omit the shrimps for vegans/vegetarian
- Instead of shrimps, you may use sauteed bacon or chicken
- Any potatoes work, we used Yukon Gold
- You may use fresh, frozen, or canned corn
- If you like chunky soup instead of blending, just mash it up a bit.
SOME FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If we miss any questions that you may have about this simple and quick potato corn soup, feel free to leave us a comment below and we will get back with you.
Can you freeze potato soup
Since this potato corn soup is dairy-free, it is quite safe to freeze. You may cook the potato soup in large batches and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Also, you may place your leftover soup in a tightly sealed container and store in the freezer until you are ready to have it.
How to thicken potato soup
To thicken potato corn soup, either blend some of the potatoes and add back into the pot, or mix about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water or almond milk and add to the soup. Starches work well to thicken up soup. Alternatively, you may also use some flour in place of the corn starch. The best way would be to just blend some of the soup and adding back to the pot.
What goes with potato soup
Wondering what to serve with this easy cream potato corn soup, try these:
- Cornbread or biscuits
- Toasted whole grain loaf/bread
- Roasted Veggies like Brussel Sprouts
- Grilled Cheese
What kind of potatoes good for soup
We truly feel like any potatoes work so use whatever you have handy. To name a few types of potatoes:
- Round white: Less starchy and often referred to as waxy potatoes
- Russet: High-Starch, ideal for baked and mashed potatoes
- Yellow or Yukon Gold: Medium starch, best used in soups because they hold well in soup.
- Red and fingerling potatoes: Also good for soups.
But our favorite would be Yukon gold, which we used for our easy creamy potato soup recipe.
Let’s talk about soups! Soup is one of our all-time favorite recipes to make! Leave us a comment below if you agree with us and let us know what is your favorite soup recipe! We hope you love this super easy to make creamy potato and corn soup.
More easy and healthy soups recipe for you to try soon:
- Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- Italian Chicken Veggie Soup
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Chicken Mushroom Wild rice Soup
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this easy creamy potato corn soup recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Creamy Potato Corn Soup
- 1 lb Medium Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 30 oz Canned or Frozen Corn drained, 2 cans
- 8 oz Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 Leek sliced
- 4½ Cups Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Garlic Salt or to taste
- 1½ Tsp Kosher Salt divided
- 1 Tbsp Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish
- ½ Tsp Chili Flakes to garnish, optional
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Thoroughly wash and peel the potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Place a soup pot over medium heat and add in the corn together with chopped potatoes, leek, and chicken stock. Gently stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are super tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy, then season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat until shimmering. Add shrimps and sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Cook until opaque through, about 2-3 minutes. Pour the soup into bowls, top with cooked shrimp.
- Garnish with parsley/cilantro and chili flakes if desired and serve next to lemon wedges. Enjoy!
- vegetable stock in place of chicken stock
- corn can be fresh, canned, or frozen
- no leeks? use green onions
It was ok; but mine turned more green not yellow. Not sure what 1 leek is? I put the whole leek in the recipe. Lol
The taste was still good. My husband didn’t like it puréed; he felt like he was eating puréed baby peas! Lol
The shrimp was good too.
Only 8 oz of potato?!?! At 4 servings that’s 2 oz each serving of potato and 7.5 oz of corn. Sounds more like corn soup to me.
You may add more potatoes if you like.