This Detox Vegan Cabbage Soup is quick and easy to make, delicious and packed with nutrients. A hearty and flavorful vegan soup recipe that’s perfect for chilly winter nights.
Chilly nights call for warm and comforting healthy Tomato cabbage soup. It is a perfect vegetable soup made with cabbage, a variety of veggies, and is ready in less than 45 minutes. Loaded with vitamins and nutrients this easy vegan cabbage soup can be made on your stovetop, in a crockpot, or in an instant pot.
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP
Our method calls for making the vegan cabbage soup on your stovetop. We will also discuss how to make cabbage soup using your instant pot or crockpot.
- Prep vegetables: Gather your ingredients and chop up all the vegetable and get them ready
- Sautee veggies: Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, cabbage, bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder. Sauté until veggies soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Boil: Add corn, green beans, broth, and fire-roasted tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, stir, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish and serve: Stir in lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper to your taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP IN CROCKPOT AND INSTANT POT
We will briefly discuss how to make this vegan detox cabbage soup in your crockpot or instant pot
Crockpot Cabbage soup:
- Prep Veggies: Cut and prep all ingredients
- Sautee veggies: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, mushrooms, celery, cabbage, bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder. Sauté for about 3 minutes. This step makes it more flavorful as opposed to placing all ingredients at once in your crockpot which you can still do.
- Add everything to crockpot: Transfer the veggies in the skillet to the crockpot. Add corn, green beans, broth, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Cook: Close pot and slow cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve: Once ready, garnish and serve.
Instant pot cabbage soup
- Prep ingredients: Chop and prep all the veggies
- Sautee: Choose the sautee mode on the instant pot. Once it reads hot, add oil. Then add onion, carrots, celery, cabbage, bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients: Add the rest of the ingredients. The corn, green beans, broth, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine. Turn off the sautee mode.
- Cook: Close the lid of the instant pot and seal vent. Cook on high for 20 minutes. Then let it quick release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Open lid. Mix, garnish with fresh parsley and serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed.
TIPS FOR MAKING CABBAGE SOUP
- For added protein, you can add shredded chicken or ground beef to this cabbage soup
- To make the cabbage soup thicker you can add 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Spice it up a bit by adding hot sauce or cayenne pepper
- Add more veggies to this cabbage soup like broccoli, potatoes, cauliflower, spinach or kale
- Prep your veggies ahead, store in ziplock bags and freeze until ready to make your cabbage soup
- Naturally gluten-free
- For easier cabbage soup, use already store-bought shredded cabbage and frozen fresh vegetables.
SOME FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can you freeze cabbage soup
Yes, freeze any leftover vegan cabbage soup for up to 2-3 months. Make sure you store properly in a tightly sealed freezer bag or container.
How long is cabbage soup good for
Cabbage soup can be stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for 4-5 days. Remove and either warm it up in the microwave or reheat on your stovetop.
How many calories in a bowl of cabbage soup
The calories for a bowl of cabbage soup will vary depending on the types of veggies used and whether you added any rice of meat. So, a bowl of all veggie cabbage soup will have about 100-150 calories per bowl.
What is the cabbage soup diet
Please note that we aren’t recommending this particular diet but simply briefly explaining what it is for those who are wondering. It is exactly what it sounds like. A diet strictly consisting of eating loads of cabbage soup for 7 days. It is said to help you lose up to 10 lbs in the 7 days but health professionals do not recommend it because you will most likely gain it back. Also, for more info on the cabbage soup diet click here
What to serve with Cabbage soup
Here are a few ideas of what you can serve with cabbage soup
- Some healthy’ ish bread
- Roasted veggies
Making this Vegan Cabbage soup? We want to hear what your thoughts are. Please come back and leave us some feedback in the comments below. Also, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family on your social media. We love seeing your remakes so please tag @healthyfitnessmeals so we share your creation!
Other amazing soup recipes for you to check out:
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
- Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- Easy Hamburger Soup
- Chicken Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Vegan Cabbage Soup delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Vegan Detox Cabbage Soup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 2 Carrots chopped or sliced
- 2 Stalks Celery chopped
- ½ Large Head Cabbage chopped
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves pressed
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder or to taste
- ⅓ Cup Corn fresh or frozen
- 1 Cup Chopped Green Beans fresh or frozen
- 2 Cups Chopped Button Mushrooms
- 6 Cups Low-sodium Vegetable Broth
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 15 oz Chopped Fire-Roasted Tomatoes 1 can
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Parsley plus more for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, mushrooms, celery, cabbage, bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder. Sauté until veggies soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add corn, green beans, broth, and fire-roasted tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper to your taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
Mubeena B says
I’ve made this once before and I’m now making it again to help kick start a healthy eating habit. It’s a great wholesome and hearty soup! Was wondering if canned beans would do well in it like kidney beans for some added protein?
Absolutely. Great addition
Ruben C. says
Ps You left out when to add the mushrooms.
Fixes it. Thanks for the heads up
Ruben C. says
Made this soup today and can’t wait to dive in and enjoy. (I’ve only sampled small bowls). I think this is a great hearty soup for cold winter day. Peace
Thank you. Glad you loved it.
SANDRA BINGMON says
THIS IS JUST GREAT
Thanks Sandra. Glad you liked it
Supriya Kutty says
A detox recipe was the need of the hour for me and I found this article on the internet The soup seems really interesting. I really liked the way it is prepared to be so healthy ingredients involved in the making of the dish Thank you very much
Awesome. Thank you
Maranda Babin says
About to make this tonight thanks !!!!!! ❤️