These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are not only easy to make, but they are also a Simple and healthy muffin option that’s made with a combination of all-purpose flour, whole meal flour, honey, yogurt, poppy seeds, lemons, and a handful of other simple ingredients.
Enjoy delicious and healthy muffins with each bite when you make these healthy lemon poppy seed muffins. Made with wholemeal flour, yogurt, coconut oil, honey, and a handful of other pantry staple ingredients. They are perfect to enjoy as a snack, dessert, or breakfast on the go.
Why you should make this lemon muffin recipe
- Perfect for on-the-go: Whether you are enjoying these muffins for breakfast, snacks, or dessert, it is the perfect option for when you are on the run during the day and you need to grab a quick snack or breakfast to eat in the car.
- Healthy: These lemon poppy seed muffins are made with wholemeal flour, honey, yogurt for some added protein, and coconut oil instead of sugar.
- Delicious and easy: making this muffin is super easy and it tastes amazing. If you love lemons you will love these muffins.
Ingredients you will need
These are just the list of ingredients you will need to make these lemon poppy seed muffins. The full printable version of the recipe ingredients will be found further down below in the recipe card.
- Wholemeal flour: You can use any other flour of choice. I love use oat flour, or blend your own oats to make oat flour.
- All-purpose flour: You need a combination of two flours for best results.
- Poppy seeds: brings out unique taste of this muffin but if you do not like poppy seeds skip it.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt
- Eggs: we used two eggs. If you want to use egg substitues you can. You may swap each egg with 1 tablespoon of flax seed or chia seeds. See notes in recipe card.
- Yogurt: we used plain yogurt. But of Greek is all you have you can use Greek yogurt.
- Honey: you may substituthe this wiith either maple syrup or agave.
- Melted coconut: or use any other oil of your choice.
- Zest and juice of one lemon. This would be required for this recipe.
How to make this healthy muffin recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 F and line with paper cups a large 12-cup muffin tin.
In a large bowl whisk the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with yogurt, coconut oil, honey, lemon zest, and juice until smooth.
Add the wet mixture over the dry and stir just until combined.
Divide the batter among your prepared muffin cups.
Bake for around 20-22 min, or until golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Rotate the muffin tin halfway through baking to avoid it browning on one side.
Allow the muffins to cool down on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. Poppy seed have a sublte nutty flavor and is a great addition to muffins and bagels. They also add a hint of crunch to the muffins.
Often times people wonder if your should soak poppy seeds before you bake them. The quick answer is no you do not have to soak them at all. But some people do prefer soaking them in hot water or milk to make them softer and avoid any crunch in your baked goods, If your prefer no crunch, go ahead and soak them for about 30 minutes for a softer texture. Soaking them may also help with digestion for those who have a problem digesting poppy seeds.
Most poppy seeds have already been cleaned and ready to use. Most people like to rinse to avoid any opiod residue. But we do find this step unncessary because we will not be using a huge amount of poppy seeds.
More muffin recipes you may like
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins
- Flourless Peanut Butter Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Recipe notes and tips
- Store these muffins in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week
- You may leave them on the counter covered for 2 days
- Use any sweetener of choice. If you do not have honey, any other sweetener like maple syrup or agave will work.
- You can make these lemon poppy seed muffins vegan by swapping the eggs with either egg subtitute, flax seeds, chia seeds, apple sauce, banana, or arrowroot powder ( see notes in recipe card)
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- Zest and juice of 1 organic lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line with paper cups a large 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with yogurt, coconut oil, honey, lemon zest, and juice until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture over the dry and stir just until combined.
- Divide the batter among your prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for around 20-22 min, or until golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Rotate the muffin tin halfway through baking to avoid it browning on one side.
- Allow the muffins to cool down on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- you may use other flour like oat flour in place of the whole meal flour
- use any other oil in place of coconut oil
- swap the honey for maple syrup or agave
- store on your kitchen counter covered for 2 days or in the fridge for up to one week
- For a vegan option sub each egg with either one of the following: 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of water, 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, and 3 tablespoons water, 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/4 cup mashed banana, and swap the honey with maple syrup or agave.
Leave A Reply