Sautéed Zucchini is a healthy, delicious, easy-to-make side dish that can be ready in just 20 minutes! A combination of chopped zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, and garlic is cooked in olive oil and then topped with fresh parsley. This recipe pairs perfectly with chicken, steak, seafood, and much more!
We are huge fans of sautéed vegetables, especially this sautéed zucchini recipe. There’s nothing easier than throwing some fresh veggies in a skillet with some olive oil and seasonings, then letting the stovetop do all of the work. This nutritious side dish is full of flavor and takes just minutes to prepare.
Why you should make this recipe
- Healthy: This vegetable dish is packed with fiber and antioxidants. It’s also low in calories, fat, and cholesterol! These vegetables are a good source of potassium, complex carbohydrates, and vitamins A, B, and C.
- Easy: With just one pan and less than 20 minutes, you’ll have a great side dish for busy weeknights.
- Delicious: The combination of vegetables sautéed in olive oil until golden brown is incredibly tasty! And the flavor profile pairs well with a variety of main entrees.
- Versatile: Like most vegetable medleys, this recipe is really flexible. Feel free to change up the ingredients to fit your taste preference and what you have available. You can add different vegetables, like broccoli or cauliflower, and seasonings or spices.
You only need 5 simple key ingredients to make this sautéed zucchini dish! Here’s the lineup:
- Olive oil: For cooking the vegetable medley. Sub with avocado oil, ghee, or butter, if you’d like.
- Mushrooms: Chopped white button mushrooms add heartiness, volume, and nutrients but very few calories.
- Red onions: When sautéed, red onions have a subtle sweetness and they add a gorgeous pop of color.
- Zucchini: When choosing zucchini, look for squash that’s about 6- to 8 inches in length and still relatively thin. It should feel heavy for its size and the skin should be dark green, smooth, and free of blemishes.
- Garlic: Cooking with garlic just makes everything taste that much better. Other than the salt & pepper, it’s really the only seasoning needed.
- Salt & pepper: To bring out all of the delicious flavors!
- Herbs: If you’d like to add some extra fresh flavor and color, sprinkle the finished dish with chopped fresh parsley or other fresh herbs, such as dill, green onions, or basil.
How to make this zucchini and veggies recipe
This is one of the easiest side dish recipes! Here’s the simple process:
- Sauté the mushrooms: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the onions, zucchini, and garlic: Stir in the onions, zucchini, and garlic. Continue to cook for 5 minutes more, or until the veggies are tender.
- Serve: Season to your taste and garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
- Add the garlic towards the very end of the cooking time so that it doesn’t burn.
- For the best texture and flavor, we recommend fresh, NOT frozen veggies for this recipe.
- To save on prep time, you can purchase some of these veggies pre-sliced and chopped.
Frequently asked questions
If your zucchini seems especially watery when cutting it, try slicing it in half lengthwise and using a spoon to remove some of the seeds. The seeds are almost all water, so removing some of them helps prevent excess moisture.
There’s no need to peel zucchini. The skin on zucchini is very thin and you won’t even notice it’s there. In addition, the skin is a big source of nutrition.
We recommend chopping the zucchini into about 1-inch pieces. You can cut them smaller or larger, depending on personal preference. You do want to chop them into somewhat similar-sized pieces so that all the pieces cook at the same rate.
While we typically enjoy this recipe as-is, sometimes we add other ingredients to spice things up a bit! Here are some options:
- Bacon: Fry up a few slices of bacon or some pancetta in the skillet. Remove to drain on a paper towel-lined plate; crumble it when cooled. Use the rendered bacon fat to sauté the vegetables and sprinkle them with bacon to serve.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Add 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes that are packed in oil, toward the end of cooking.
- Cheese: Sprinkle feta or parmesan cheese over the veggies before serving.
- Nuts: Add 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or thinly sliced almonds right before serving.
This sautéed zucchini recipe is great served as part of an easy weeknight meal. Here are some delicious pairing options:
- Easy Chicken Milanese
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Breast Skillet
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Mediterranean Baked Salmon
- Lemon Chicken Breast
Leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can reheat them on the stovetop, in the microwave, or even pop them in the oven until warmed through.
We do not recommend freezing the vegetables once they have been cooked.
More healthy side dish recipes
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Easy Maple Roasted Carrots
- Healthy Eggplant And Zucchini Gratin
- Garlic Butter Hasselback Potatoes
- Easy Chickpea Feta Salad
- Cucumber Onion Salad
- Air Fryer Broccoli
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white button mushrooms stems trimmed and quartered
- 2 medium red onions chopped
- 4 medium zucchini chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- freshly chopped parsley optional to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onions, zucchini and garlic. Continue to cook for 5 minutes more, or until the veggies are tender.
- Season to your taste and garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
Leave A Reply